Results 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1
    Administrator Administrator
    Reputation: gregg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    7,381

    Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Downieville - Win an All Mtn Race Entry & Joplin Seatpost from Crankbrothers

    -----------------------------

    Didn't get to register for the best all-mountain race in North America? Crankbrothers wants you to have another chance.

    WIN a FREE DOWNIEVILLE ALL-MOUNTAIN RACE ENTRY and a JOPLIN SEATPOST from CRANKBROTHERS!!

    Here's how to enter:


    1. Tell the world why you need to race Downieville. Write it down in 5 short lines below. Post it by the deadline: Friday at 9am.

    2. The winner will be announced at the crankbrothers tent at Downieville on Friday at 2pm. You MUST be present at the Downieville race to win!

    The prize:

    One winner will receive a free entry for the all-mountain race this coming Saturday and Sunday July 12th and 13th, 2008 (a $185.00 value), AND a crankbrothers joplin seatpost of your choice (30.9 or 31.6), up to $275.00 value.

    Why do YOU need to race Downieville this year (5 lines or less!):

    -----------------------------

    (note: Be sure that your email address associated with your forum account is current and accurate. This contest is cross posted to the Socal and XC Racing forums as well, please enter only once.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fc; 07-09-2008 at 11:25 PM.

  2. #2
    "Audaces fortuna iuvat"
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    780
    Not to put a damper on this contest - seems like a cool idea - but isn't it a little short notice ?? Who is going to drive the whole way from where ever they live to be in DV at 2pm on Friday for a chance to win ? There is no where left to stay in DV and you really need to prepare a lot in advance for that race....

  3. #3
    Administrator Administrator
    Reputation: gregg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    7,381
    Quote Originally Posted by jhruth
    Not to put a damper on this contest - seems like a cool idea - but isn't it a little short notice ?? Who is going to drive the whole way from where ever they live to be in DV at 2pm on Friday for a chance to win ? There is no where left to stay in DV and you really need to prepare a lot in advance for that race....
    Yes, definitely short notice, but it's because of how the contest came about.

    The race entry actually belongs to a Crankbrothers employee who had a last minute change of plans. So, rather than let something so sought after go to waste, the crew at Crankbrothers thought it might be kinda cool to throw a little something in the mix.

    I expect that almost all the people who enter here, are people who were already planning on attending.

    -g

  4. #4
    "Audaces fortuna iuvat"
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    780
    Well that's nice of you guys to give it and a seat post away. I have one and love it. best product for improving my riding I've ever bought.

  5. #5
    computers hurt my eyes
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    9
    I hope the crankbrothers employee with the last minute change of plans isn't Jason First. He has the skills and fitness to podium up there in the All Mountain Pro.

    And, yes, this contest is last minute, but it is a sweet opportunity for someone that's already headed up there and on the standby/waiting list. Lord knows there are plenty of folks on that list.

  6. #6
    I'm a "she".
    Reputation: mudworm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    934

    First entry? :)

    Um...I was planning on doing on-site reg for XC on Friday anyway. I'd be a fool to pass this up. If I won, I would even do DH on Sunday too! Okay, here is my entry for "Why I need to race Downieville this year (5 lines or less!)":

    I look forward to seeing an improved time from last year because I've been working hard at it for the past few months.


    P.S. Here is a little extra. If you had asked me the same question last year before the race, my answer would have been: "I have no idea what or where Downieville is or how to ride a mountain bike, but I need to race because my husband and his buddies are going and I don't want to miss out the party."

    P.P.S. By my standards, the above sentences are short. I can show you my technical writings to prove it.
    Last edited by mudworm; 07-09-2008 at 11:23 AM.
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    35
    I really need to race Downieville since my wife "mudworm" has been kickin my butt all over Downieville, Henry Coe and other locals the last few "months".

    My legs have been hurting since the bigginning of the year. My last spin class I arrived 45 minutes early to "warm up". I am hoping just to keep up.

    1 year ago mudworm could not ride a bike. Now she punishes me on our rides. My riding buddies won't ride with me anymore. I think they are skeerd.

    Please reward me. ( or her )

    Thank you
    " The beat up old man" Strom

    P.S. After our last pre-ride of the course I think mudworm is an odds on favorite to get most improved rider.
    Here's ta sweat in your eye

  8. #8
    pvd
    pvd is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pvd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,057
    I've raced the Downieville Downhill about 9 times. It's the only race that I truely care about. It's not that I like doing well, but that when I cross the finish line each year I say to myself, "GOD DAMMIT, That was the most fun I've ever had!" Everyone on the course goes hard and I have never had an issue making a pass. I get scared. I blow up. I push harder than I ever push.

    I even had a great time two years ago when I had to ride from mid-third divide on a bare front rim. The cheers kept me going and I was riding at full speed to the line.

    This event is truely one of the greatest in the sport of mountain biking. The all mountain component should help drive innovations to keep bikes durable, fast, and most importantly... FUN.

    Luckily, I don't need an entry. I could use a fancy seatpost though. Maybe I can get that and someone else can get the entry?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,735

    My 5 reasons

    Ok, why do I race Downieville?

    1) Because my son is racing and I rather bike it myself as well than wait anxiously at the finish line.
    2) Because it's an unbelievably fun race course (except for that climb from Sierra City to Packer Saddle).
    3) Because I want to see how much I improved over last year and get under 3 hours this time.
    4) Because I refuse too grow old too soon.
    5) Because Downieville has a certain charm and magic in the air.

    - J.L.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

  10. #10
    Lusus Naturae
    Reputation: NoBalance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,854
    Can I just enter to get the seat post?

    And Mudworm, saw your latest pre-ride on Motionbased. Guess I won't be seeing you on the course this time, except at the start.

  11. #11
    Urban Ninja
    Reputation: jeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,366
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    I've raced the Downieville Downhill about 9 times. It's the only race that I truely care about. It's not that I like doing well, but that when I cross the finish line each year I say to myself, "GOD DAMMIT, That was the most fun I've ever had!" Everyone on the course goes hard and I have never had an issue making a pass. I get scared. I blow up. I push harder than I ever push.

    I even had a great time two years ago when I had to ride from mid-third divide on a bare front rim. The cheers kept me going and I was riding at full speed to the line.

    This event is truely one of the greatest in the sport of mountain biking. The all mountain component should help drive innovations to keep bikes durable, fast, and most importantly... FUN.

    Luckily, I don't need an entry. I could use a fancy seatpost though. Maybe I can get that and someone else can get the entry?
    Pete needs to win so that it will force him the ride the XC with me

  12. #12
    I'm a "she".
    Reputation: mudworm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    934
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance
    And Mudworm, saw your latest pre-ride on Motionbased. Guess I won't be seeing you on the course this time, except at the start.
    Nah. I've been watching and it looks (from your split time post) like NoBalance, you've improved a lot over last year too. Plus, everybody passes me on the downhill. I'll be grateful as long as I don't get run over.
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

  13. #13
    aka baycat
    Reputation: Ryan G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,484
    Because I am that fast, good looking and humble.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1

    Pick Me !!

    I need to race D-Ville all mountain. It is the most talked about race in the OC. I tried to sign up for the all mountain but only made the XC.

    Pick me because:

    1)I am not as good as Brian Lopez but want to some day.

    2)I need new stories to tell my friends.

    3)The really cool Joplin seat post will help me keep "the rubber side down"

    4)All 2 of my bikes have candy pedals on them

    5)I will give up my pre paid Saturday XC and a ride up to D-Ville to jhruth who wrote it is lame last minute competition.

    Tim Z.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,012

    oh wow, a little scary

    Give me the entry so I can give it to someone other than this guy!

    Downieville is about as far from SoCal as it can possibly be (in all aspects), and I hope it stays that way.

    As much as I repect "Mr Lopez" and his skills, I hope he doesn't bring the rest of the SoCal scene w/ him.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: otbp_nocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    286
    I need to race in the All Mountain event.
    Otherwise, Iíll drink way too much beer after the XC race...
    ... which will likely cause me to drown during the River Jump World Championships.

    And you donít want that on your conscience.

    Do you?

  17. #17
    fc
    fc is offline
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    26,562
    Quote Originally Posted by WTB Marketing Guy
    I hope the crankbrothers employee with the last minute change of plans isn't Jason First. He has the skills and fitness to podium up there in the All Mountain Pro.

    And, yes, this contest is last minute, but it is a sweet opportunity for someone that's already headed up there and on the standby/waiting list. Lord knows there are plenty of folks on that list.
    Unfortunately yes. Injured at the BC Bike Race is what I heard.

    fc
    IPA will save America

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    16

    my why five

    In 2000 I raced the XC after hearing about this amazing race from my best riding buddy.
    I won an FS frame in the Raffle and committed to come back to race DH in 2001.
    In 2002 I scattered the ashes of my best riding buddy from the top of the Buttes.
    Since 2001 I've raced the DH every year with his prized King headset leading the way down the mountain, his ashes and spirit absorbed into the trail whispering encouragement.
    I wasn't able to register quickly enough this year, but I'll be there Friday to claim the available All Mountain entry and carry on the tradition of racing that he started.

    thank you,

  19. #19
    bicycle rider
    Reputation: morganfletcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,711
    Quote Originally Posted by redway
    In 2000 I raced the XC after hearing about this amazing race from my best riding buddy.
    I won an FS frame in the Raffle and committed to come back to race DH in 2001.
    In 2002 I scattered the ashes of my best riding buddy from the top of the Buttes.
    Since 2001 I've raced the DH every year with his prized King headset leading the way down the mountain, his ashes and spirit absorbed into the trail whispering encouragement.
    I wasn't able to register quickly enough this year, but I'll be there Friday to claim the available All Mountain entry and carry on the tradition of racing that he started.

    thank you,
    Damn!

    I know redway. He's a great rider and really deserving of this chance. He's also the fastest downhiller I know, and I fear him beating me Saturday.

    Morgan

  20. #20
    aka baycat
    Reputation: Ryan G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,484
    Ok he has my vote!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1

    Why I need to Race the Downieville All Mountain Worlds

    I need to race the Downieville All Mountain World Championships for no particular reason at all at this point other then to say I did that one. Just like I did the Grasshopper Adventure Series the last few years, or the BC Bike Race last week, or the Worlds in 97, or the Stumpjumper back in 93 or how I hope to somehow get into the SS Worlds in August. Maybe its just to compare my riding ability to Mark Weir who I have known since he was a Sport rider in a diaper chamois. Maybe I just need the t-shirt. All I know is I just need to race ...man.

  22. #22
    beer is good for u
    Reputation: EricN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    136

    Me because...

    doh... I'm not there so I can't win.

    good luck peeps
    Last edited by EricN; 07-11-2008 at 02:39 PM.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MrCrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    910
    I need to race Dowieville because...

    ...I thought my girlfriend was ready for the Downieville XC course, only to end up walking a good portion of the descent with her bike over one shoulder and mine over the other when we pre-rode it last week - technically, it was still over her head. I felt awful for taking her taking her there, and asked if she would forgive me. She said she would - if I raced and brought home a medal.

    By selecting my entry as the winner, you wouldn't just be giving away an all-mountain entry and a the coolest seatpost on the market (which would go on my girlfriend's bike, as it's her birthday next week) - you would be giving someone the gift of forgiveness

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1
    I sent this yesterday but it did not go through I guess, hopefully it is not too late now:

    Chris Brown my hubby is deserving of this as he is not only passionate, down to earth and fast, he is the best juggler of being a preschool teacher, hubby and daddy ever. He took our 2 year old, his biggest fan on this trip to Downieville and is geared up to race tomorrow. Securing childcare at the race last minute was part of the issue in not registering on time for the AM. Now that he has his shot, and would be right up there in this group, he would be most appreciative of this opportunity, and our daughter would have something to brag about to all her friends!!

  25. #25
    VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Reputation: vuduvgn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,130
    Brain Lopes is there, I saw him yesterday. Lope<<< s >>, not >>z<<.
    Wade Simmons is also there.
    As is Niki Gudex.

    My 5.
    I already paid for my XC entry.
    I can't race on Sunday, I have to make up for taking yesterday off.
    I'm not even sure I could pedal my 28 pound Trance X1 up the xc course.
    It's gonna be smoky up there all weekend and it's smarter to sit in a lawn chair and drink beers.
    Pick me! Pick me!
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: otbp_nocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    286
    Didn't the rules state "write 5 LINES" (or less) about why you "need" to race ... not 5 sentences or paragraphs?

    See ya'll at the CB tent in a few hours. It's gonna be an awesome weekend ... Lotsa fun, suffering and good times with 1,000 other mt bikers!

  27. #27
    VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Reputation: vuduvgn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,130
    2 pm has come and gone. Any word on who won?
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

  28. #28
    Administrator Administrator
    Reputation: gregg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    7,381
    Quote Originally Posted by vuduvgn
    2 pm has come and gone. Any word on who won?
    I am awaiting word from the onsite Crank Brothers crew, as we speak.

    -g

  29. #29
    Administrator Administrator
    Reputation: gregg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    7,381
    Quote Originally Posted by gregg
    I am awaiting word from the onsite Crank Brothers crew, as we speak.

    -g
    So, the winner has been chosen and announced on-site today, but due to certain logistics (no cell reception in Downieville), we may not be able to announce it here until Monday.

    The winners were chosen in a first, second, and third place order (in case the first place guy wasn't there (at the Crankbrothers booth at 2pm) the second place guy would be announced, and so on.

    Sorry to keep the offsite users in suspense.

    -g

  30. #30
    bicycle rider
    Reputation: morganfletcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,711
    I raced at Downieville yesterday, and so did my buddy "redway". He won the AM entry and he was very excited to race it. He was also carrying around the speedball post, and he's talking about getting a new frame to go with it. I am back home and eager to hear how his race today went. I think he did a decent time yesterday on his big Cove downhill bike, but the results didn't have him listed so we weren't sure. I'm sad to say that I started behind him and never caught him.

    Downieville was excellent as usual, although my friends and I experienced a little drama. I'll write about it. Everything's OK now, and BIG THANKS to Debbie, the volunteer coordinator.

    Morgan

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    16

    Thanks Cranks, MTBR

    Morgan,
    I got 3rd in the DH! 54 something. My timing chip worked this time. Lot's of people set them up wrong(me too) and didn't get results. So I have no idea what my official XC time was but I believe it was around 2:40 because I was in the river at 12:15 by the time I had the presence of mind to ask a kid with a watch the time. I have no idea how long it took me to get there and get in the water and then ask for the time because my legs hurt so bad I think I actually teared up uncontrollably. I think I must have looked like the town drunk the way I hobbled into the river and fell over. Damn that race hurt. yes I need to get a blur LT or anything lighter than the Cove, (maybe a new Cove, love that thing) with a 30.9 seatpost.

    Thanks crank brothers for the entry and thanks MTBR for hosting the contest. I met several other folks hoping to get the entry and I'm sure you were all deserving. Next year if you want to race DH I'm pretty sure AM will be the only way to do it, so let's all practice up on our registration skills to make sure we get in!

    ride on,

  32. #32
    ~~~~~~~
    Reputation: Dirt_Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,290
    awesome redway. good job

  33. #33
    bicycle rider
    Reputation: morganfletcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,711
    Quote Originally Posted by redway
    Morgan,
    I got 3rd in the DH! 54 something. My timing chip worked this time. Lot's of people set them up wrong(me too) and didn't get results. So I have no idea what my official XC time was but I believe it was around 2:40 because I was in the river at 12:15 by the time I had the presence of mind to ask a kid with a watch the time. I have no idea how long it took me to get there and get in the water and then ask for the time because my legs hurt so bad I think I actually teared up uncontrollably. I think I must have looked like the town drunk the way I hobbled into the river and fell over. Damn that race hurt. yes I need to get a blur LT or anything lighter than the Cove, (maybe a new Cove, love that thing) with a 30.9 seatpost.

    Thanks crank brothers for the entry and thanks MTBR for hosting the contest. I met several other folks hoping to get the entry and I'm sure you were all deserving. Next year if you want to race DH I'm pretty sure AM will be the only way to do it, so let's all practice up on our registration skills to make sure we get in!

    ride on,
    Right ON! Good job! Damn that is a fast downhill time. I hope they sort out your xc time.

    Morgan

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •