Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Downieville Updates/Results/Race Reports?

Can anyone up there with wifi give us losers stuck at home some race results? XC, DH, AM pro? I will gladly live vicariously through your race reports as well. Screw the TDF, I care more about who wins AM at Downieville.

Proud lame eBiker
    Yeah, I was just sitten here at work wondering how things are turning out up there. Who's the upset? How's the smoke etc.?
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Poor cell phone reception up there, and no internet cafes that I know of. We may have to wait a day or two for results.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I just got back from racing XC today and don't know many details but Ross Schnell (Trek) won the AM Pro.

mtbr member

Correction

He won XC race, Jason Moeshler was 2nd and Mark Weir was 3rd. Tomorrows DH will make The All Mountain contest very interesting tomorrow! There were some big time MTB celb's there: Brain Lopes, Wayde Ritchey, Greg Hurbald, Jurgen Beneke, Myles Rockwell...the list goes on. None of them seemed to go hard in the XC. Even I past Brian Lopes on the climb, he eventually caught me, and seemed to be taking it easy.
    Smoke & were not bad.
    I got 5th in Expert 45+...
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Anyone know how Kenny Burt did?
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member
    How about Tim Olson?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip
    Anyone know how Kenny Burt did?
    I remember seeing his name, he was up there but not in the top 5. As for Tim Olson, I do not remember seeing his name, does not mean he was not there. I was pretty out of it after racing and a Beer
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    I remember seeing his name, he was up there but not in the top 5. As for Tim Olson, I do not remember seeing his name, does not mean he was not there. I was pretty out of it after racing and a Beer

Thanks for the info!!! Hope you had a great ride! I wish I was there
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member

No good Manners Please

So I just picked up my sister in the hospital after the Downieville Race. She going to be okay, and ended up with a concusion and was helicoptered out of Downieville after she finished. But one of the most disturbing things I heard was this:
    After she crashed, the next group of riders came though while she was in the middle of the trail. The leader of the group asked if she was okay and even slowed a little to see if she was okay. However, the second guy chasing him yelled up front. "Hey man, what the 'F&*^ why the hell are you slowing down for CHICKS." or some variation of that.

To that guy I just want to remind him that my little sister was outriding him pretty much the entire race. Hope that feels good to be such a super fast guy.

Sorry, just venting. Thanks to anyone who asked if she was okay, even though they were racing. And for the record. you don't have to stop, just ask is someone is okay and call it over to the trail marshals so they can check on the person. And definitely don't call my sis a chick.
    Last edited by vodkamike3; 07-14-2008 at 10:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    One word! KARMA

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    He won XC race, Jason Moeshler was 2nd and Mark Weir was 3rd. Tomorrows DH will make The All Mountain contest very interesting tomorrow! There were some big time MTB celb's there: Brain Lopes, Wayde Ritchey, Greg Hurbald, Jurgen Beneke, Myles Rockwell...the list goes on. None of them seemed to go hard in the XC. Even I past Brian Lopes on the climb, he eventually caught me, and seemed to be taking it easy.
    Smoke & were not bad.
    I got 5th in Expert 45+...
    Thanks for the update merlin!!! Sounds like you did pretty well yourself for an old guy

Can't wait until until tomorrow's results for DH
    12 Bandit Two9
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Tarmac SL3

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    LizzleBot is so tough she made the helicopter wait until she finished the race.

bicycle rider
    Ah beanfink! Yeah, she is tough. She was really scared and I'm glad it ended up OK. Geoff and I and Debbie (the event coordinator) were all really worried about her. A lot of people know her story and are eager to hear she's OK. I was totally surprised by how quickly a seemingly superficial bump got serious. Her bike and stuff are OK, in my garage.

Morgan

bicycle rider
    Ross Schnell beat Moeschler by 2:30 I think, and Weir by 3:30, in the XC portion of the AM race. Those numbers might be slightly off. Rachel Lloyd won the women, Sue Haywood 2nd. I talked to Ross & Sue yesterday. Ross was on the 6" Trek bike, Sue on the 5" bike. Today Ross has a #42 starting position, Moeschler starts 1st and Weird 2nd. Schnell will have more traffic. I asked him if he could limit his losses to less than 2 minutes and his reply was "I'm going to beat them tomorrow!"

The AM race will be very exciting. I told them to bring more pros next year. He said Adam Craig heard he was going to Downieville and was excited that WTB was getting some more competition. Would be awesome to see Wicks, Decker, Trebon, JHK, Kabush, Gould, Nash and the rest of the best show up at Downieville.

Menso was 6th in the Pro AM XC! His dad J.L. was very proud of him, and he also did very well, beating 3:00 by less than a minute on his Superlight. I urged him to ask the boy for a hand-me-down bigger bike for next year's Downieville race.

Saw lots of you up there, hope you all had good races. I had a great time until Liza went in the helicopter.

My race was slightly better than last year;

• goal of middle ring to the top, check
    • goal of cleaning the entire climb, failed at boulder section where everyone in front of me was walking
    • goal of cleaning the descent, check, well except for an OTB right before the green bridge, where I spun my bars
    • goal of 2:35 or better, failed with a 2:46, good for 22/35 in vet 35-44 expert men. (although Sunrise added length. I was 2:42 last year)
    • goal of beating my friends, failed

Next year!

I rode with Herbold briefly on the climb, told him he was my hero. That was cool. Got to talk with him a little after the race, and the SRAM truck stoked me with a part I needed.

I had two friends do really well; Aron Bonar 1st in vet 35-44 expert and Isaias Job 3rd in 19-34 expert. My friends Geoff and Liza did well, Geoff better than me in my field and Liza raced her very first Downieville Classic, her first time there.

Here's my motionbased record for the race:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6232068

I gave Dirt Diggler the dope on the big Deer Lake / Tamarack / Sardine Lakes / 54 / Haypress epic I did recently and he and some other people are going to ride it today. I hope they have a good time!

Morgan

ride hard take risks
    vodkamike3 Yup allot of these so called macho guys just feel they are such bad arzes if it was the other way around macho chump would have been curled up in the fetal position crying for his life.

Healin vibes to your sister
    she is awesome!!!

Any one know where to find results???
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Dville

Wow, what a race. The best part was all the support from Dville. My favorite was the guys at the top with cans of Budweiser.

Although, I left Dville in a helicopter and a bumpin concussion. i do have good memories before I nearly fainted. And happy to say i finished the race even after the crash. Haha
    could have been worse right?i heard someone fell down that steep sketchy rock ledge? .

(BTW LizzleBot has hijacked Beanfink's account to bring you this message)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    My race was slightly better than last year;

• goal of middle ring to the top, check
    • goal of cleaning the entire climb, failed at boulder section where everyone in front of me was walking
    • goal of cleaning the descent, check, well except for an OTB right before the green bridge, where I spun my bars
    • goal of 2:35 or better, failed with a 2:46, good for 22/35 in vet 35-44 expert men. (although Sunrise added length. I was 2:42 last year)
    • goal of beating my friends, failed

Morgan
    I think I finished right ahead of you to bump you to 22nd. I was right around 2:45, had a mechanical and a crash as well, OTB at the bridge(2nd time in the Dville race). Felt horrible up the climb and spun in granny, next year needs to be middle ring to make it up in under and hour.

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbjtd
    I think I finished right ahead of you to bump you to 22nd. I was right around 2:45, had a mechanical and a crash as well, OTB at the bridge(2nd time in the Dville race). Felt horrible up the climb and spun in granny, next year needs to be middle ring to make it up in under and hour.
    What jersey were you wearing?

I think I was 1:15 to the timing mat at the beginning of Sunrise.

I suck at Downieville. But I love it.

Morgan

mtbr member
    May 2006
    does anyone know what the DH results were (top 3) and the AM results (top 3)?

if not, when will they be posted?

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    I hear Ross Schnell also won DH..

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Wow, sounds like the field was Stacked! Still no one knows how Kenny Burt did?
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vodkamike3

So I just picked up my sister in the hospital after the Downieville Race. She going to be okay, and ended up with a concusion and was helicoptered out of Downieville after she finished. But one of the most disturbing things I heard was this:
    After she crashed, the next group of riders came though. The leader of the group asked if she was okay and even slowed a little to see if she was okay. However, the second guy chasing him yelled up front. "Hey man, what the 'F&*^ why the hell are you slowing down for CHICKS." or some variation of that.

To that guy I just want to send a big ol F*&K U. and also remind him that my little sister was outriding him pretty much the entire race. Hope that feels good to be such a super fast guy.

Sorry, just venting. Thanks to anyone who asked if she was okay, even though they were racing.
    Was she the one that went over the edge on Sunrise?

I saw a gal climbing up from there and her bike. She seemed fine when I asked if she needed anything. I think she was wearing yellow, or her bike was. Everything was kind of blurry for me about then. She seem to have a couple of people helping her. So, I'm glad there was some good people there too.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip
    Wow, sounds like the field was Stacked! Still no one knows how Kenny Burt did?
    the begginer class was stacked....................
    Someone "beginner" finished in 2 hr and 7 min!!!!

Even if you are in amazing road shape and this was your first or 2nd mtb race, that kind of time mean you can handle a bike going down fast.

I dont want to be too critical, but maybe he should go to the midwest and help with the floods.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Get a clue!

My buddy and I were up the week before the race. He dislocated his shoulder and broke his wrist about halfway down. I ended up pushing his bikes down while he hiked out with a sling we jury-rigged. Of the 15 or so riders who passed us on their way down (including a bunch of guys decked out in Trek gear - maybe the team riders) only two asked us if we needed help. It was pretty obvious he was in bad shape. He even asked the guys in the Trek gear for help and not one even acknowledged him. C'mon this is absolutely ridiculous! No wonder mtn, bikers get such a bad wrap. No other outdoor sport I participate in (whitewater kayaking, surfing, hiking, fishing) has such a crappy/negligent attitude towards helping someone who's hurt. Bottom line in these sports is that you drop everything you're doing for "fun" and offer help if someone's in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by vodkamike3

After she crashed, the next group of riders came though. The leader of the group asked if she was okay and even slowed a little to see if she was okay. However, the second guy chasing him yelled up front. "Hey man, what the 'F&*^ why the hell are you slowing down for CHICKS." or some variation of that.

To that guy I just want to send a big ol F*&K U. and also remind him that my little sister was outriding him pretty much the entire race. Hope that feels good to be such a super fast guy.

Sorry, just venting. Thanks to anyone who asked if she was okay, even though they were racing.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast