Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hey guys, I want to clarify some confusion. Is Pack Saddle at the top of Downieville or at the Bottom? The reason I ask is because I thought camping was at the bottom therefore I would Shuttle to the top and ride down, then head to camp. If not, then I assume I only need a shuttle back to camp? Also, my son is 11 y/o and I was thinking about bringing him along. He likes to ride but not too experienced, does anyone recommend this ride for an 11 y/o?
    Please help!
    Thank you in advance.

mtbr member
    pack saddle camp is at the top of the run. You will book the shuttle to take you back to your camp after the ride.

If I was 11 I would love it. Just take it easy, there is no shame in getting off the bike and walking a few feet to get past a harder part.

It really depends on your sons level, you may want to book that shuttle 2-2.5 hrs out from the start. If you are going at a good clip for your first time down the trail you can do it in 1.5 hrs if you think you will need to do a bit of stop and go then error on the side of waiting at the icecream shop for 30min before your ride back to the top.
    To love me is to rep me, world domination is eminent/imminent/immanent.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks Buzkil. Would there be any restrictions in me getting to the campground in a lowered car? First time so I don't know how rough the roads are. Not so low but low enough.

Totally, and to the max.
    Mr. Taco, to be totally specific Packsaddle Campground is 2 miles from the shuttle dropoff, which is Packer Saddle. The campground is .25 mile before you pass Packer Lake, a great place to chill out or swim right near camp.

The 2 miles of road from the campground to the top are some seriously steep grades. It's 1,200 feet of climbing. But it hasn't stopped anyone from starting the ride that way! In fact, it is so much easier to get a ride back to camp in the afternoon, rather than driving all the way into town in the AM, only to get shuttled back up, then having to drive up at the end of the day. This way, you can hang out in town, swim in the river, have pizza, etc. before you decide to head back to camp. The last shuttles of the day are way less likely to be overbooked, therefore easier to wing it.

mtbr member
    its pavement all the way into the entrance of the camping area. there may be a slight edge going from the pavement to the gravel campground area. You should be fine.

mtbr member
    Its not even June yet.... :-(
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

mtbr member

Gonna mis it...

This will be my first DV Gathering mis in many years. Have fun!
    What is a "healing vibe"???
    See our aid stations at the Tahoe Sierra 100 Red Star Ridge & Dusty Corners

www.goapc.org

Totally, and to the max.
    Tell me about it. I am SO ready for some Sierra singletrack. Can't wait, brohem!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder View Post
    This will be my first DV Gathering mis in many years. Have fun!
    Bigboulder, NO! Who is going to lead us into the unknown?????

ol'guy who says hi &waves

This Thread Needs Some Stoke

Not mine but one of my favorites....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Downieville Summer Kick-Off Thread!!!-downieville.jpg  

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

mtbr member
    Sardine Lake? Love it! Thanks Fred!

mtbr member
    Tamarack Connector Trail!

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by fred-da-trog View Post
    Not mine but one of my favorites....
    I want to ride that one!
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

Poacher
    Sep 2010

going later, Sunday 6am from Berkely

Packsaddle Sun, Mon, Tue, reserved Site 5 sun/mon night. Keep this thing rollin'. Please don't wear out the trails before we get there!

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Fred da trog, what trail is that? I am into pedaling along with shuttle runs.

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Fred da trog, what trail is that? I am into pedaling along with shuttle runs.
    What Downieville Outfitter said, Tamarack Connector Trail. It's not my neck of the woods, it was 4 years ago and I was following the group. We road from Packersaddle Camp cross country to Upper Sardine Lake, down to the road and back to camp. No shuttle. The drop into Sardine was as breathtakingly beautiful as anywhere on earth. It's easy to get a feel of distance on Google Earth or map.

I'm sure there will be some guides in camp or check with D-ville Outfitters for directions

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

Ausfahrt - gut!
    Not on Facebook, to 98.5% in with my 13yr old arriving 6/8.
    Will have to crash a site.
    Thanks for organizing!
    uli

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TACORICAN View Post
    Hey guys, I want to clarify some confusion. Is Pack Saddle at the top of Downieville or at the Bottom? The reason I ask is because I thought camping was at the bottom therefore I would Shuttle to the top and ride down, then head to camp. If not, then I assume I only need a shuttle back to camp? Also, my son is 11 y/o and I was thinking about bringing him along. He likes to ride but not too experienced, does anyone recommend this ride for an 11 y/o?
    Please help!
    Thank you in advance.
    11 year old? Probably not. There are exceptions of course but in general, no. There is a litmus test. Take him to Demo Forest and do the Saw Pit Loop and Braille. If he is having fun and under control, then it's all systems go. The climbing is not that as hard in Downieville but the descent is about the same level as Demo, but very long. There are cliffs and sharp rocks too so control at all times is key.

I have an 11 year old and it's Demo Forest first before the big trips.

fc

I like mtn biking, too
    TACORICAN - Yeah, any run from Packer Saddle to town would be extreme for a young person. I think there might be other 11 year-old-suitable trails around, though- ask at Yuba or Downieville Outfitters. I have seen them giving advice to people on easier trails before.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Tacorian, I feel the same way with respect to the trails into town from Packer Saddle. I have an 11 year old son who has been slowly gaining more confidence and skill over the last few years. Right now he is just starting to be OK with climbs. He loves to go downhill, but only on moderate grades. I think that the big rocks and the exposure along the trails down into Downieville might really scare him! There is a lot of water and a couple of big stream crossings, too. Does he like hiking? The scenery is incredible right around the campground. I hope that this doesn't keep you from coming.

swag ho Administrator
    Oldie but oldie...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Downieville Summer Kick-Off Thread!!!-tube.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailseeker View Post
    Tacorian, I feel the same way with respect to the trails into town from Packer Saddle. I have an 11 year old son who has been slowly gaining more confidence and skill over the last few years. Right now he is just starting to be OK with climbs. He loves to go downhill, but only on moderate grades. I think that the big rocks and the exposure along the trails down into Downieville might really scare him! There is a lot of water and a couple of big stream crossings, too. Does he like hiking? The scenery is incredible right around the campground. I hope that this doesn't keep you from coming.

Taco, maybe ignore my advice, as I have no kids and I am going off my own experiences of what I liked to do at that age. I lived in the Rocky Mountains and grew up riding motorbikes from an early age. I am also a trial by fire type of person. You can ask one of my exs about me dragging her up Snake Dike on one of her first outside rock climbing experiences.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    May be up there at the same time. I just found this thread while doing a little research on the area because it's looking like i'll be up there with my father-in-law the same weekend as the event.

We are thinking of camping too. I just checked the website and it says no available sites for that weekend. Am i understanding correctly that we'd be welcome to come and squeeze in? I'll bring a couple cases of Deschutes beer from here in Bend, OR.
    Bend, OR

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyS600 View Post
    May be up there at the same time. I just found this thread while doing a little research on the area because it's looking like i'll be up there with my father-in-law the same weekend as the event.

We are thinking of camping too. I just checked the website and it says no available sites for that weekend. Am i understanding correctly that we'd be welcome to come and squeeze in? I'll bring a couple cases of Deschutes beer from here in Bend, OR.
    Yes, we usually squeeze in about 5 tents per campsite.

Absolutely welcome...

fc

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    you can camp in my site but only if you bring growlers of boneyard ipa instead of deschutes.

but really you should be able to squeeze in anywhere. and we love boneyard

Quote Originally Posted by TroyS600 View Post

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast