Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    I heard it snowed pretty good yesterday!? Can anybody report if that's the case and is it rideable?

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Pyramid Spine Tingler 8.5% Belgian style, 650ml, 2 for $3 in Berkely. That should about cover 1/2 the cost of gas to Downieville.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Mills Peak trail is all clear except for one log half way down the upper section above the helicopter landing. A few patches of snow are left, but may be gone by your stay. If you are going to shuttle and depending on vehicle, there are two almost impassible mud holes on the road to the look out. May want to consider riding up and down. Don't forget to ride Phil's Loop portion at the bottom of the trail, it adds another 1.5 miles to the trail and passes the north edge of Mohawk Valley. Usually ride up this clockwise up from the Graeagle Billboard and return adjacent like to the hwy. This is also a good for those who may be up for the trip, but would like a short ride and some shop time in Graeagle.

fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by fill the void View Post
    Mills Peak trail is all clear except for one log half way down the upper section above the helicopter landing. A few patches of snow are left, but may be gone by your stay. If you are going to shuttle and depending on vehicle, there are two almost impassible mud holes on the road to the look out. May want to consider riding up and down. Don't forget to ride Phil's Loop portion at the bottom of the trail, it adds another 1.5 miles to the trail and passes the north edge of Mohawk Valley. Usually ride up this clockwise up from the Graeagle Billboard and return adjacent like to the hwy. This is also a good for those who may be up for the trip, but would like a short ride and some shop time in Graeagle.
    Such awesome news!!!

fc

rho
    Life is strange
    So stoked! Still need to get a proper hitch for the jeep... but everything else is about ready to go!

Sent by smoke signal

Resident Curmudgeon
    Look what I found in Livermore. It lives...
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

mtbr member

Thats my Logo....

I designed a logo for my group NorCal Gravity months ago using the likeness of that logo. Is it your companies or just for this event? Several members on here are members of the group which is based out of Santa Rosa, Ca. Im just wondering if we somehow came up with the same idea? Also if your down to advance our cause I'll consider a merger....read the flyer for details about our cause and contact info.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Downieville Summer Kick-Off Thread!!!-support-flyer-including-qr-ad-link.jpg  

The Downieville Summer Kick-Off Thread!!!-business-logo-norcal-gravity.jpg  

Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    I think you both better merge with the entire State of California since you both used the bear from the state flag.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    We cleared the last of the snow drifts to Packer Saddle today.
    We are shuttling to the normal drop off spot and things are
    looking good for Sunrise this weekend. G.

mtbr member
    I've got the time off from work and I'd love to get in on this epic adventure! I don't have a campground reservation. Can someone squeeze me in on their reservation?

I'm a married 31 year old easy going dude who rides a Turner 5 Spot. I can bring several growlers of Russian River and plenty of bottles. I'd prefer to crash with somebody who has done this before since it will be my first time in this area. I'll also bring my DSLR and take some pics of the riding as well.

I'm looking to arrive on Thursday evening before sundown and split on Sunday. I'd love to get in 2 days of riding on Friday and Saturday. Any of you Downieville vets have room in your campsite?

-Isaac

mtbr member
    May 2012
    There's 2 of us coming, we don't have a camp site reserve, we're thinking of coming on evening of 7th, will there be camp sites available for us? We are coming from SoCal area (IE/OC).

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasintrane View Post
    I'm a married 31 year old easy going dude who rides a Turner 5 Spot. I can bring several growlers of Russian River and plenty of bottles. I'd prefer to crash with somebody who has done this before since it will be my first time in this area.
    -Isaac
    sounds like something you'd find in the Craigslist M4M section to me!
    there's so much empty camping space in that area you'll have no problem if no-one is tempted by your growlers.
    here we go again

Totally, and to the max.
    Hi Isaac, my name is Kyle and I'm a happily married 39 year-old father of two. I ride a Santa Cruz Nomad and I like shredding the gnar and drinking good beer. It sounds like we might be compatible!

:-)

In all serious, you'll fit in just fine, we do pretty well with sharing camp space. There's a fair amount of overflow parking there, so shouldn't be a problem at all. My advice to anyone is just come with an attitude of self-sufficiency and with a willingness to share and everything works beautifully!

I'm in campsite 10, so come on by and introduce yourself. Looking forward to this awesome weekend!!!

Totally, and to the max.
    Taha, same thing I told Isaac. Just show up, say hi, share a beer and make a friend! You'll definitely find a campsite to pitch a tent. We're all friends here!

mtbr member
    May 2012

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eleven-yo View Post
    sounds like something you'd find in the Craigslist M4M section to me!
    there's so much empty camping space in that area you'll have no problem if no-one is tempted by your growlers.
    Quote Originally Posted by K-max View Post
    Hi Isaac, my name is Kyle and I'm a happily married 39 year-old father of two. I ride a Santa Cruz Nomad and I like shredding the gnar and drinking good beer. It sounds like we might be compatible!
    Haha! Yeah, I did feel a bit like I was soliciting myself! Good news none the less. I'll plan on showing up with my gear and crashing. Looking forward to it.

K-max, are you familiar with the area? Are you going to be there Thursday night?

mtbr member
    My buddies and I are planning to go and I'm glad I found this thread. Does anybody have room for 3 more? I've only been to Downieville once, and when we came it was too early in the season as we had to trek in the snow. So I've been looking forward to getting back when the trails are open.

We're planning to arrive Fri night and head back Sunday.

mtbr member
    Indyrace85-There will be room for you-even if its with Melt. :-)
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy aka Rut View Post
    Indyrace85-There will be room for you-even if its with Melt. :-)
    hehe he said "Melt"

Is the hairless Wookie still around?

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

mtbr member
    Sweet! Looking forward to meeting you folks!

mtbr member
    Hoping thie quote thing works:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-ti View Post
    I'm so excited about D-Ville that I'm offering a $25 incentive to MTBRers to come ride with us.

Specifically: For anyone attending the the gathering, I'm offering a $25 discount on the DirtBaggies bib+baggy combo. To avail yourself of this offer you must to pre-order at DirtBaggies.com by noon (Pacific time) 6/7/2011 and enter coupon code "GnarCal25" during checkout; offer only valid for purchases collected at Campsite #2.

I'm looking forward to meeting y'all in person.
    "...DirtBaggies may also be the best baggy mountain bike shorts on the market." Velonews - Click to check out other reviews.

mtbr member
    Anybody from OC want to carpool? I'm hoping to leave on Thursday and return Monday.
    I'm happy to provide a vehicle (can take 5 bikes and 5 people, but honestly 4 in comfort), or to jump in yours.

Send me a PM, Tim

American Made!
    Ah Melt......Well TkBlazer and I are heading up late Wed night from OC, 2 shuttles booked for thur and fri and thinking nice long ride sat.

Cannot wait to get back up there!!!!

Andy, do you want us to make sure your campsite #2 is ok?
    What is thy bidding, my master.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

trek

getting post in. sorry

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    anybody have a 180mm 6-bolt rotor thats nice and true they want to bring and sell me cheap? My front one is tweaked and is a little too wonky to be straightened well.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Thanks for the offer 1x1 but our reservation is Federally backed so there is NO NEED FOR YOU TO CAMP ANYWHERE NEAR US! but thanks. :-)
    Last edited by Andy aka Rut; 06-05-2012 at 07:32 AM.

rider
    Jan 2005
    As of 12:30 pm Monday June 4th it is absolutely pouring heavy rain in the D'ville area per the Doppler radar. So much so that I am glad that the trails have a few days to drain and tack up before the gathering.

No more rain is predicted before the gathering so I'm fairly certain that hero dirt will be the predominant trail condition. Woot!
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    It is raining steady here at the base of the Mills Peak Trail. Conditions were getting dusty at lower areas, trails should be golden mid-week through the weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    How about up at the peak?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Dusting of snow on Mills Peak from my window... Trail was getting Dusty at exposed sides, this will be the return of total velcro.

padded

Big Boulder on Saturday morning

GMM and I are meeting at Packer Saddle at 10am on Saturday for a Big Boulder ride. We'll roll out by 10:30, so I might squeeze in a warm-up Sunrise loop if the shuttle drops me off by 10. Pace will be moderate, regroups at the top of each big climb, Strava Kings running late will have no trouble catching up. If you've never ridden BB this is a good chance to get a guided tour.
    PM me or just show up, the more the merrier. I'll be dark blue Nomad.
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico View Post
    As of 12:30 pm Monday June 4th it is absolutely pouring heavy rain in the D'ville area per the Doppler radar. So much so that I am glad that the trails have a few days to drain and tack up before the gathering.

No more rain is predicted before the gathering so I'm fairly certain that hero dirt will be the predominant trail condition. Woot!
    Are you going, and if so, where are you camping? You've got PM's. Last time I went, I about needed a boat or a raft more than a bike with all the rain every day and night.

I like mtn biking, too
    Wow, 5 pages... So, does anyone have a summary of group rides, or are we on our own as far as organizing group rides? I'm kinda lagging behind in the planning department.

I have booked site #7. I thought we had one more tent site left, but it is taken now! I think we are full up.
    Last edited by shredchic; 06-06-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: No room left in #7
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

Totally, and to the max.
    Julie, I'm kinda thinking Friday will be a Big Boulder ride into town, leaving from camp, Saturday a more epically-sized Graeagle backcountry adventure, and Sunday, maybe take it easier with two shuttle runs into Downieville.

I like mtn biking, too
    Julie, I'm kinda thinking Friday will be a Big Boulder ride into town, leaving from camp, Saturday a more epically-sized Graeagle backcountry adventure, and Sunday, maybe take it easier with two shuttle runs into Downieville.
    Thanks! Mr. Shred is up for an epic backcountry ride Saturday (me too). We did some sort of lakes basin epic once, but I think we went a non-traditional way. Is it starting from camp or do we need to drive/carpool somewhere?
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

rho
    Life is strange
    I like this plan. Seems paced pretty well!

mtbr member
    Lakes Basin Update:

Heavy rain and dusting of snow on the peaks and ridges. Should be epic conditions by mid to late week. Oakland Pond Trail, Elwell and other high trails will not be ready by the weekend though the standard DVille Downhill trails should be epic. Don't be fooled by the lack of snow on the south face of Elwell. The north side will punish all but the very adventurous.

I took the big saw out today and got a good beating in the weather, but cleared a ton of stuff.

Mills: Phil cleared most of Mills, and I went up today and got a recent tree that fell this week at the top. It is clear of snow and holds up great in the rain. This is a great climb and then descent or a fantastic way to climb and connect to the Basin.

Round Lake Trailhead to Bear Lakes Loop: Cleared all the trees today. There is some tread damage from weather.

Bear Lakes Loop: Cleared the one log today. In good shape with a few minor snow drifts.

Long Lake Connector Trail: Hiked in and cleared a nasty tree while enjoying sideways rain and wet snow. A few snow drifts, and a wet crossing at the dam but otherwise good.

Long Lake Trail: Cleared numerous trees on the lower end. Otherwise clear with some flowing water near the top and a some tread damage. Totally rideable by techy riders. (FUN)

Smith Lake and Creek Trails: Clear of snow and most trees.

Gray Eagle Creek: A little wet but clear of most trees

Gray Eagle Creek to Smith Creek Connector: Clear

You can put a great ride together with this list, even without the high stuff. We'll get up there soon with the saw.

ENJOY!!!!!!

ronski

I

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    ronski, I won't be at Downieville, but thanks for setting up an awesome weekend for my friends.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

mtbr member

D-Ville

I was up in Downieville on Sunday...So nice....I bypassed sunrise due to snow...went down butcher and third, then rode up second and went down third again....been wanting to do that ride....what can I say...It was a great day...

I wanted to give folks a heads up. They are doing road construction on hwy 49, between D-ville and sierra city. You can expect a 20 minute delay. Sunday is the only day of the week that there is no construction and no delay.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Downieville Summer Kick-Off Thread!!!-f2c4c21eae8511e1a9f71231382044a1_7.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Wow Ronski, i'm not familiar with the area but that seems like a LOT to get done in a day. Nice work and thank you!
    Bend, OR

Medium?

Don't forget to pick up a copy of the new map!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Moss,
    Thanks for spreading the word about conditions! Great picture!
    Cheers, Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by mossterioso View Post
    I was up in Downieville on Sunday...So nice....I bypassed sunrise due to snow...went down butcher and third, then rode up second and went down third again....been wanting to do that ride....what can I say...It was a great day...

I wanted to give folks a heads up. They are doing road construction on hwy 49, between D-ville and sierra city. You can expect a 20 minute delay. Sunday is the only day of the week that there is no construction and no delay.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Shuttles for this weekend are filling up fast! Check the shuttle schedule here: Downieville bike shop and shuttle to the Downieville Downhill - YUBA Expeditions

Early Bird Special: Reserve a spot on the 8:30am shuttle this Saturday or Sunday for just $15!

Cheers!
    Downieville bike shop and shuttle to the Downieville Downhill - YUBA Expeditions

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyS600 View Post
    Wow Ronski, i'm not familiar with the area but that seems like a LOT to get done in a day. Nice work and thank you!
    Haha. It was a lot of hiking to get to all the trees, and it was POURING the whole time. The actual saw work was pretty easy this time. We got snow down to 4000 feet last night but the ground is warm and its melting fast. I'm off to ride to the top of Mills at 11am and will check things out. It should be a great weekend with velcro conditions and mild temps.

mtbr member

Questions from a newb.

Julie, I'm kinda thinking Friday will be a Big Boulder ride into town, leaving from camp, Saturday a more epically-sized Graeagle adventure, and Sunday, maybe take it easier with two shuttle runs into Downieville.
    K-max, can I pick your brain a little?

Friday: Big Boulder ride into town leaving from camp. Would you recommend a shuttle ride back up to camp from in town? If so, which one?

Saturday: epically-sized Graeagle adventure. Am I correct in assuming this day would require no shuttle service?

I'm just trying to figure out which if any shuttles I need to book. I've never done Downieville before with ya'll.

Totally, and to the max.
    Sure ya can! Yeah, for any rides ending in Downieville, you'll want to have a shuttle/ride back arranged. The good thing about this though, is that it's a lot easier to get space at the end of the day. Some people self-shuttle but that requires a good 1.5 hours of driving down the mountain then back up. That's a lot of work. Just call either Yuba Expeditions or Downieville Outfitters and tell them you'd like a ride to the camp in the afternoon. Plan on a 3+ hour ride, then however long you'd hang out in town. Most people chill along the river for a while, especially with the nice weather coming. Sometime around 4pm is probably good.

Graeagle rides all tend to be self shuttles. There are loops and out & backs from the town, but most are point-to-point. Those, we'll play by ear, but we'll have a message board set up at the camp for ride coordinating. That way, riders will know what they're getting themselves into!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Will we really need to book shuttles in advance for the ride back to camp in the evening? Or will we be ok if we are flexible and don't mind hanging around town a bit? I am a bit hesitant to book shuttles in advance because that pins me into certain rides on certain days.

I've never been to the area and am looking forward to just joining in with whatever group rides seem like they'll be my speed.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Troy-I'm sure you might be OK without booking the shuttle, but if you miss out because the shuttle is full, you are looking at a hell of addition to the ride back to the top of the mountain.
    My advise is its better to be safe than sorry.

Will we really need to book shuttles in advance for the ride back to camp in the evening? Or will we be ok if we are flexible and don't mind hanging around town a bit? I am a bit hesitant to book shuttles in advance because that pins me into certain rides on certain days.

I've never been to the area and am looking forward to just joining in with whatever group rides seem like they'll be my speed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Not the kind of road where one can easily hitch a ride eh? OK. Well I guess I'll make some calls.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    I wanna say its a 40-45 minute drive-up hill.

Not the kind of road where one can easily hitch a ride eh? OK. Well I guess I'll make some calls.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast