Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Downieville Stoke

Anyone else getting fired up about the classic this weekend? I am heading up Thursday afternoon and on an 11:00am shuttle on Friday to do a little recon before Saturday's race. Staying at Wild Plum.

In the 3 years I've raced the XC I have always always had major cramp issues. With the help of Osmo Prehydration and a bit more training I'm hoping this is the year I can keep it together. Nothing more frustrating than being stuck on the side of Butcher with quivering legs watching people roll past. Such a rad race.

Downieville!
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

YESBRO!!!
    WOOOOOOOOOO!!!

SuperPro is heading up! We're ~25 deep this year too!

Look for the SuperPro SuperAid Station at the top of the climb. We'll have ice cold drinks and salty snacks.

We're camping at Wild Plum right across the lane from Roaring Mouse & Co. Saturday night should be a real show.

mtbr member
    Sick! Proximity to the SuperPro/RM crew always means good times! It'll be a cylocross pre-party.

Eamonn

mtbr member
    I am not participating, but I am thinking of heading up to watch the action on Saturday. I live in Sacramento and have never been out to the Downieville area. Photography is my main hobby so I wanted to bring the camera and get some shots from a couple different spots in the race. Any recommendations on particularly good spots for doing this. I will have my truck and don't mind long hikes if needed to get to good areas for photographs. I would prefer off the beaten path stuff and tend to not hang around start and finish lines where it is crowded when taking pictures at events.

Thanks in advance.

GMM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ucdengboss View Post
    I am not participating, but I am thinking of heading up to watch the action on Saturday. I live in Sacramento and have never been out to the Downieville area. Photography is my main hobby so I wanted to bring the camera and get some shots from a couple different spots in the race. Any recommendations on particularly good spots for doing this. I will have my truck and don't mind long hikes if needed to get to good areas for photographs. I would prefer off the beaten path stuff and tend to not hang around start and finish lines where it is crowded when taking pictures at events.

Thanks in advance.
    Drive up to Packer Saddle and take photos off of Sunrise Trail. Very cool stretch of single track just after the finish of the main climb. You could also try taking photos on 3rd Divide, but people will be wizzing past at silly fast speeds.

mtbr member
    I have done a decent bit of sports photography including some MX so the speeds are not an issue. In fact for panning shots the speed is welcomed. Thanks I will look for those areas on a map.

GMM
    mtbr member
    I have done a decent bit of sports photography including some MX so the speeds are not an issue. In fact for panning shots the speed is welcomed. Thanks I will look for those areas on a map.
    Sunrise is a beautiful trail with lots of natural light. 3rd Divide is one of the fastest sections. Baby Heads (Gold Valley) is an infamous section, but that would be a hike.

mtbr member
    Good luck etuck...may the cramp gods give you a pass!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    25 deep?!!? Wow! I wish I could hang out for that party but I've only got baby sitting coverage for Saturday...

My goal has evolved this year from Competing > Racing > Having Fun > Simply Surviving. I used to be pretty fast (around 2:30 for years) but I'm hoping to just go sub 3 this year and not hurt myself.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Thanks in advance.
    And if you get a decent shot of me, I would be happy to pay you something.

As for the spot, there is this on place after first divide I think where the riders come through a hole in the fence. Air is possible and there is decent light. I'm not sure if you can drive there.

Someone else can help me out on this exact locale if they know what spot I'm talking about.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GMM View Post
    Drive up to Packer Saddle and take photos off of Sunrise Trail. Very cool stretch of single track just after the finish of the main climb. You could also try taking photos on 3rd Divide, but people will be wizzing past at silly fast speeds.
    There's a reason they call 3rd Divide the Star Wars section.

The lighting is not that great on 3rd divide either. Some sun in a few spots, but mostly shade.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtb'er

Thanks in advance.
    Hiking up Lower or Upper 1st Divide will have several good spots with river scenery/drop offs to work into the photos, if that's of interest.

Upper 1st divide (I'm a little to high on the rock for race photos):
    Downieville Stoke-img_3169_small.jpg

Rocky takes his photos every year near the top of Lower 1st Divide, in the white/chalky turn. I like his shots because everyone is usually filthy dirty by this point in the race (and the spot has good lighting and contrast). There's a spot a little below here that has a real chunky corner with a steep drop to the river that might make a good spot too.

Note: you likely won't be able to drive up Lavezzola Rd. north of town (due to the race), but hoofing it or pedaling up is easy enough.

As GMM said, Sunrise is also a good spot... riders might be a bit more bunched up there.

On Sunday for the DH race, the waterfall would be a good one! (hike/ride down the course from the top)
    Downieville classic racers crashing - YouTube

mtbr member
    Will be up for the entire weekend as well not racing but spreading some Sweat Buster Stoke and my buddy is doing some volunteer video work as well. Hope to sneak in several rides as well. Trying to get up there Thursday but its looking like Friday now.

mtbr member
    Thanks mtbmom!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    And if you get a decent shot of me, I would be happy to pay you something.
    If I take shots I will post them on my flickr account and then post a link in a new thread about a week following. I need to have a chance to go through the files.

Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    As for the spot, there is this on place after first divide I think where the riders come through a hole in the fence. Air is possible and there is decent light. I'm not sure if you can drive there.
    I have been looking at the course map:

Downieville Stoke-dvclassic_course_08.jpg

Does anyone know if Lavezzola Road is open to vehicle traffic during race hours? It seems to overlap and cross with the course from D-ville through the First Divide area so I am a bit skeptical.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Hiking up Lower or Upper 1st Divide will have several good spots with river scenery/drop offs to work into the photos, if that's of interest.
    This appeals to me most. I can pedal up the road a bit to find a good place.

Rocky takes his photos every year near the top of Lower 1st Divide, in the white/chalky turn. I like his shots because everyone is usually filthy dirty by this point in the race (and the spot has good lighting and contrast). There's a spot a little below here that has a real chunky corner with a steep drop to the river that might make a good spot too.
    The linked photos are a lot like how/what I would shoot. Tight framed probably small telephoto work. I really need to better figure how to do good wide angle stuff though with all that great scenery incorporated. Thanks.

Note: you likely won't be able to drive up Lavezzola Rd. north of town (due to the race), but hoofing it or pedaling up is easy enough.
    I was starting to figure as much after review of the course map.

Beaubien
    Aug 2006
    I'm heading up Friday evening. I'm trying to keep my "stoke" under control so I don't have high expectations. The altitude is tough. I never get there early enough to acclimatize. The way I see it I'm just doing a mountain bike ride on Saturday with a few hundred other people.
    Will Beaubien
    Will@Beaubien.com
    415-218-7936

mtbr member
    Speaking of Stoke. As part of Medical Response planning had a chance to recon emergency LZ sites for both the Classic Race Course and the Lost Sierra 50k Endurance Run (sept 28th). Both races are fundraisers for SBTS trail development. Thank you Care Flight for providing the flight and for supporting the races. Here's to nobody needing a ride out, but it's good to be prepared. Have fun! (I sure did!)

Ronski and Search and Rescue pal Brad Ready for Liftoff
    Downieville Stoke-cf3-ready-recon.jpg

The Gorge LZ on Butcher
    Downieville Stoke-gorge.jpg

Long Lake with Lost Sierra Race Map Reflected in Canopy
    Downieville Stoke-cf3-long-lake-overflight.jpg

Mills Peak Lookout
    Downieville Stoke-cf3-mills-peak-lookout.jpg

swag ho Administrator
    I have some good bikes that should do really well at downieville. That's why I'm not going!
    IPA will save America

Dropshot Champ!
    very last minute, but will be car camping in the wild plum overflow lot. If we get kicked out or something, I have beer if anyone has an open spot

swag ho Administrator
    Levi Leipheimer will be racing Downieville!! Get some photos. Say hi.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Anyone have results for CC yet? Had an All Mountain entry and then broke my collar bone at Northstar on Thursday. The three buddies I was with kicked me out of the car at Reno airport and headed back up. We rented the house right at the end of Hospital Bridge if anyone wants to stop by and punch them for me!

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Downieville Stoke

Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Anyone have results for CC yet? Had an All Mountain entry and then broke my collar bone at Northstar on Thursday. The three buddies I was with kicked me out of the car at Reno airport and headed back up. We rented the house right at the end of Hospital Bridge if anyone wants to stop by and punch them for me!
    Carl decker 1st. Adam craig 2nd. Not sure of 3 and 4. Billy Damon 6th. Jason moeschler 7th. Kenny burt might be 5th? I may have 5th, 6th, 7th messed up but am sure of Decker and Craig. This is second hand info. Heard levi flatted

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update and nicely done!

jms
    mtbr member
    Menso De Jong finished 3rd. Totally stoked for the boy!
    My Favorite Peeps:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast