mtbr member
    May 2012

No good Downieville Sh!t show

Came across this video on Facebook this morning.

https://www.facebook.com/DirtMountai...7483027288971/

A guy who looks like he has never ridden a MTB before crashes multiple times on a Downieville run, and at one point almost falls off the edge into the river.

I wrote the following comment: "If you crash this many times you need to find an easier trail. Downieville is challenging terrain for intermediate to expert riders. Not to be a dick, but there are multiple places on this track where you risk serious injury and death by falling off the cliff. Videos like this are pretty irresponsible."

What do you all think about the video. I think these types of videos are incredibly irresponsible and bad for everybody involved. Shame on Dirt for giving these morons an audience. I am all for increased participation in the sport, but one must build up skills before they hit trails like Downieville.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Looks to me like the guy was crashing on purpose. Especially that last one. Nice smooth section and it looks like he just intentionally throws himself into the rock. There is no way he could be that bad on a bike. Who knows what people will do to try and get a couple clicks.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Fake.
    I think this guy just wants to be funny.

mtbr member
    It's a free country. You are free to ride a mtb even if you have no skills. That's the beauty of freedom- no one is going to restrict access to a trail for lack of skills nor restrict one from filming and posting a mtb video.

Was video faked? Doesn't matter. It was entertaining...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I lost some IQ just watching that staged stupidity.

Never been out to California but at least that one section sure looks fun but steepassedly smooth fast compared to traditional Appalachian rockgarden/rooty DH where I am.

mtbr member

Downieville Sh!t show

Quote Originally Posted by cragnshag View Post
    It's a free country. You are free to ride a mtb ... That's the beauty of freedom- no one is going to restrict access to a trail....
    Omg what happens with mtbr quote system ???

The video is fake like my quote for sure, You need some skills not to get hurt in so many incidents.

I enjoy watching redbull but does not mean I would ever emulate them

That makes me smart
    I believe that's Picard.
    "I can almost smell the alcohol oozing from that post."

mtnbkrmike

A global map of winds. Pretty cool.

mtbr member
    You guys are being pretty harsh...

I did the best I could and did all my research here on mtbr before I went for my first DVille ride:

Best chamois butter- check
    Best tires for NorCal- check
    Best water bottle cage- check
    Best Dville route- check
    Cut my bars down to 640- check
    Wore IXS flow on the right knee, Griz Pro on the left- check
    Best bear spray for NorCal- check
    Best NorCal tire pressure, plus 10psi for Dville- check

Only thing I forgot was the Tom Cat brake warning... as displayed on the waterfall section. I'll correct that for next time!

I may have forgot some more but I gave it my best.. Thanks MTBR NorCal!
    Last edited by bob-o; 07-13-2017 at 07:07 PM.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ And yet you still didn't wear a full face.

How can we help you when you won't help yourself?!
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

"I'm just a big snitch with man boobs!" ~ GGG

mtbr member
    Don't shroom & ride maaaaan!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    You forgot the best mountain lion knife and snake bite kit!

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Hmm. Not sure that video clip warrants a thread. It just looks like a collection of random wipeouts.

Not a huge deal. Hell, I've crashed in the parking lot before. It happens.

mtbr member
    Not fake, he really is new to the sport....he just joined a FB group I follow

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highrevkev View Post
    Not fake, he really is new to the sport....he just joined a FB group I follow
    How could this possibly be real. NOBODY is that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dropshot Champ!
    Wonder if that's a rental bike. Y'ouch...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    ^^ And yet you still didn't wear a full face.

How can we help you when you won't help yourself?!
    Yep... $250 for a full face vs. $2500 to fix teef. Duly noted.
    And the Lion knife... Good call. Working on best NorCal pocket for the Strava phone 7 as well.

mtbr member
    Maybe alcohol or drugs were involved? I doubt those crashes were on purpose as risk of injury would be fairly high.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Bob-o (if that is your real name)- The preferred Norcal phone pocket is the opposite of your preferred body slam side. This has been explained in great detail numerous times. And surely you're aware that there are bears up there, and yet you packed no bear spray or gun. I'm beginning to think you're not one of us. Do you even craft beer, bro?

No wonder you suffer from RIPS--Repeated Impact (Preventable) Syndrome.
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

"I'm just a big snitch with man boobs!" ~ GGG

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NRP View Post
    Hmm. Not sure that video clip warrants a thread. It just looks like a collection of random wipeouts.

Not a huge deal. Hell, I've crashed in the parking lot before. It happens.
    I think you are right - so let's derail it and talk about parking lot crashes.

About 5 years ago when my buddy and I were running behind to catch our DV shuttle, we get there w/ almost no time to spare and of course there is no parking near the shop, so park a bit away from the shop, gather all of our sh!t and quickly ride over to the shop. My buddy is trying to balance all of his pads, food, helmet, etc. in his hands while frantically pedaling with no hands. About 15 feet into this process, he totally loses his balance, wipes out and has a yard sale all over the parking lot. He hurt himself and could not ride the trails that day.

Naturally, being a good friend, he says we've come all this way and booked the shuttle, so I should of course do my run and he'll just chill and wait for me. I tear a sidewall really bad about half way through my run and can't fix it so I have to walk it out. Not the best DV trip, but still probably better than bob-o's day!

mtbr member

Downieville Sh!t show

Quote Originally Posted by bob-o View Post
    You guys are being pretty harsh...

I did the best I could and did all my research here on mtbr before I went for my first DVille ride:

Best chamois butter- check
    Best tires for NorCal- check
    Best water bottle cage- check
    Best Dville route- check
    Cut my bars down to 640- check
    Wore IXS flow on the right knee, Griz Pro on the left- check
    Best bear spray for NorCal- check
    Best NorCal tire pressure, plus 10psi for Dville- check

Only thing I forgot was the Tom Cat brake warning... as displayed on the waterfall section. I'll correct that for next time!

I may have forgot some more but I gave it my best.. Thanks MTBR NorCal!
    Hold on ! What front/rear suspension you have, unconscious norcal wannabe rider ???? And which mountain lion knife???

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by griffsterb View Post
    How could this possibly be real. NOBODY is that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's real. That was his first time riding a MTB. Not sure whose bright idea it was to take him there for his first real ride but that is besides the point. My first REAL mtb was on Big Boulder. I had never ridden anything harder than Granite Bay prior. *shrug*

I rode with Sohaib last weekend and he has progressed IMMENSELY since that video was shot. He smashed down the trails with speed and no crashes. He even played around wheelieing across the Butcher bridge.

So while I won't disagree with RyanMTB's main point, just try and remember that there is a real person in the video and he's also an MTBr member and an all around good guy.

Downieville Sh!t show-69201753738.jpgDownieville Sh!t show-69201753559.jpgDownieville Sh!t show-69201753631.jpg

mtbr member
    Then he will really enjoy mtb!! Having confidence and knowing how to fall are very good skills !!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Haha I gotta cosign Sohaib! He rides a sick Capra now and we ripped around JMP for a few laps a couple weeks ago.

He even helped me load up my bike when I caught a nasty rock (17 stitches)! Sohaib is actually a effing hero as far as I'm concerned
    Calijax on IG

Quote Originally Posted by calijax View Post
    Haha I gotta cosign Sohaib! He rides a sick Capra now and we ripped around JMP for a few laps a couple weeks ago.

He even helped me load up my bike when I caught a nasty rock (17 stitches)! Sohaib is actually a effing hero as far as I'm concerned
    Yeah boy!
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to calijax again.

Clever Title
    Nov 2009
    Now I know it's fake - I've been riding for 30+ years and still can't wheelie.

Which reminds me of my best parking lot fail. Sitting at lower Foresthill parking lot waiting on another group of friends to arrive, I notice two hot trail running ladies stretching before their ride. I proceed to try to wheelie (see? still can't) and go all the way over and land on my back. At least one of them asked if I was okay....

Quote Originally Posted by BStrummin View Post
    Now I know it's fake - I've been riding for 30+ years and still can't wheelie.

Which reminds me of my best parking lot fail. Sitting at lower Foresthill parking lot waiting on another group of friends to arrive, I notice two hot trail running ladies stretching before their ride. I proceed to try to wheelie (see? still can't) and go all the way over and land on my back. At least one of them asked if I was okay....
    Love it! Haha

IPA tester
    Quote Originally Posted by NAYR751 View Post
    You forgot the best mountain lion knife
    Should there be a new thread: What's the best mountain lion knife for Norcal? That has to good for 30 clicks or more
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    Should there be a new thread: What's the best mountain lion knife for Norcal? That has to good for 30 clicks or more
    Been done already many times over.
    IPA will save America

Wēk Ss
    Aside from the first time, how would one know if they are ready if they don't do it?

Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    It's real. That was his first time riding a MTB. Not sure whose bright idea it was to take him there for his first real ride but that is besides the point. My first REAL mtb was on Big Boulder. I had never ridden anything harder than Granite Bay prior. *shrug*

I rode with Sohaib last weekend and he has progressed IMMENSELY since that video was shot. He smashed down the trails with speed and no crashes. He even played around wheelieing across the Butcher bridge.

So while I won't disagree with RyanMTB's main point, just try and remember that there is a real person in the video and he's also an MTBr member and an all around good guy.
    Right on! Sometimes you just gotta try it. My first time @ Demo, I had no idea what to expect in detail. Videos and what not can only show so much. Slow, yes, but not bad, some step offs, but nothing major.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Been done already many times over.
    Yes, but it never gets old. Serious threads can weight down. Stupid threads rock!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OS-KR View Post
    You need some skills not to get hurt in so many incidents.
    That's true. Crashing is a skill I don't have.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Jfc. He's a new rider and I still can't manual/wheelie.

I guess I better start a thread about best herbal supplements to build wheelie muscle memory for NorCal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
    He's a new rider and I still can't manual/wheelie.
    Neither can I.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    Yes, but it never gets old. Serious threads can weight down. Stupid threads rock!
    It's all in the timing and delivery, like comedy.

fc
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
    Jfc. He's a new rider and I still can't manual/wheelie.

I guess I better start a thread about best herbal supplements to build wheelie muscle memory for NorCal
    Some say there's a wheelie gene. You're either born with it or not.

I think it's 90% true. Still gotta practice it, specially when young.
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	69201753738.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	1146483

Name:	69201753559.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	1146484

Name:	69201753631.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	152.1 KB 
ID:	1146485

They guy looks to have a great attitude and that's 90% of the game. He's probably looking to document big experiences on youtube and that's why he did something big/sketchy on the first ride.

But he is athletic and I'm sure he rode bikes as a kid.

Sooo, doing that is very risky but great to see the advancement in a year.
    IPA will save America

Crazed Country Rebel

Name:	69201753738.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	1146483Click image for larger version. 

Name:	69201753559.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	1146484Click image for larger version. 

Name:	69201753631.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	152.1 KB 
ID:	1146485
    I've taken atleast 2 people on their first ever MTB ride to downieville and they didn't do that bad. he must have been drunk.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Hella Olde
    Wow harsh! Everyone starts somewhere and that was like his first real MTB ride on a rental SC. He is a super nice and earnest young guy who I raced with in the Belmont DH kerfuffle that everone here was up in arms about, and has posted a bunch of youtube videos where he critiques himself with grace and honesty. He has one of him hitting a jump line in a Washington state bike park that I bet a lot of people here would be afraid to try. I'll bet he outrides a lot of the chucklers on here on his sick new black Capra. Sry had to get that off my chesticles.....

Edit - I watched his DV video again and it's hella funny! It takes balls to post that! That poor SC rental, but he says it survived.

Carry on Sohaib!

Clever Title
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    first real MTB ride...
    ...I raced with in the Belmont DH ....has posted a bunch of youtube videos where he critiques himself with grace and honesty. He has one of him hitting a jump line in a Washington state bike park....
    First "real" mtb ride but rode the Belmont thing and hits jump lines in Washington? Yeah I'm not buying this at all now.

Hella Olde
    The DV crash video is over a year old, but I'm not here to sell you anything.
    I taught myself to wheelie and manual at age 40 - maybe you need to try a little harder.

Paper or plastic?
    Note to self: do not buy rental bikes in downieville

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun