Recreational Terrorist

Downieville/Lake Basin camping recommendations

I've camped up in the Downieville many times in the past but the trip is usually riding focused so I just grab whatever is available.

What campground would your recommend if there are non-riders in the group? Also, I have a camper van that can do mild off-roading (2wd so nothing crazy). Where could I take my van off of NF land and find a nice spot?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Lakes Basin Campground is a nice location for riding or hiking on the Lakes Basin side.

mtb'er
    That area is one area where the designated campgrounds are quite a bit better than just camping in the forest, as most campgrounds are right near a lake, river or creek (primary criteria for my camping). With 2wd, it'd be hard to get to some of the desireable off-the-beaten-path, water accessible spots.

As Ronski said, Lakes Basin CG is very nice for Lakes Basin exploring. Diablo CG has a little stream behind it and easy enough driving access to Packer Lake and Sardine Lakes... Sierra Buttes fire tower... etc. All the campgrounds on 49 are good, as you probably know, with Wild Plum getting my vote since you're further off the highway and closer to the Yuba River.

Have fun. Get your fire permit if you camp in the woods.

Recreational Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    That area is one area where the designated campgrounds are quite a bit better than just camping in the forest, as most campgrounds are right near a lake, river or creek (primary criteria for my camping). With 2wd, it'd be hard to get to some of the desireable off-the-beaten-path, water accessible spots.

As Ronski said, Lakes Basin CG is very nice for Lakes Basin exploring. Diablo CG has a little stream behind it and easy enough driving access to Packer Lake and Sardine Lakes... Sierra Buttes fire tower... etc. All the campgrounds on 49 are good, as you probably know, with Wild Plum getting my vote since you're further off the highway and closer to the Yuba River.

Have fun. Get your fire permit if you camp in the woods.
    Lake Basin is sweet but is fully booked the weekend I plan on heading up so I'll probably check out Diablo or Wild Plum. The other campgrounds off 49 are too close to the road for my taste.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have camped at Wild Plum and it is Very Nice. Union flat is OK and there is a fire road right across from camp.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I often camp at Goose or Snag Lake as they are easy to access from both Graeagle and Hwy 49. When with non-riders, I'll ride up to the top of Mills Peak from camp (about 40-50 minutes) and meet the non-riders in Graeagle for lunch and some time on the river. Loops on Elwell are also easy to do from there,