Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2

    Downieville Classic XC Race

    I am planning to make the trip from Canada to California this summer. My boyfriend has entered into the Downieville Classic XC Race. I would also like to enter, but I am not sure how difficult or technical the trail is. I am relatively new to XC mountain biking and do not know whether or not I will be able to finish the race. I have a Kona Caldera hardtail with 4" travel. I would like to know what I am getting myself into before I enter the race. Is this race too hard for an amateur? Thanks!

  2. #2
    enter and win
    Reputation: mtnbecky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    727

    Downieville XC is...

    beautiful, fabulous, a gruelling climb and very advanced DH on the way down. I have raced the DH and the XC in various combinations going on 10 years now. If I were you, I would volunteer with Debbie at yubaexpeditions.com to assist her (us) instead of entering this race. We need all the volunteers we can get! She will truly appreciate the help, anything you can do, and volunteers always get free camping. This way you can experience the entire scene without actually racing it, since I would NOT suggest it in any way for a first time race. Get all sorts of miles in between now and next season and you'll do fine next year. Sea otter, if you're in the area, is a wonderful first time race.(usually in April) See you in Downieville!

    bb

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PeanutButterBreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,566
    I raced it as my first race, but I too would not recommend it unless you are very comfortable/confident on your bike. The descent is unrelenting and very technical for an "XC" race. It is definitely worth planning some extra time in the Downieville area to check out the singletrack though. I've only ridden there on a full rigid single speed, so your bike should be fine.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MrCrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    898
    How would you make arrangements for a practice run on the XC course for the weekend? The climb sounds pretty gnarly for a full run the day before the event - would you just book a shuttle for Saturday?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PeanutButterBreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,566
    I think shuttling would be ideal the day before, but if you have never seen the climb I would almost recommend biking/hiking it at a mellow pace, just so you know what to expect and how to pace yourself. In addition to the length and steepness, traction is poor.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MrCrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    I think shuttling would be ideal the day before, but if you have never seen the climb I would almost recommend biking/hiking it at a mellow pace, just so you know what to expect and how to pace yourself. In addition to the length and steepness, traction is poor.
    That makes perfect sense - thanks!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: derek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    710
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCrash
    How would you make arrangements for a practice run on the XC course for the weekend? The climb sounds pretty gnarly for a full run the day before the event - would you just book a shuttle for Saturday?
    Not doing the race this year, but I'd be careful as the Downhill is being run on Saturday and that course overlaps with the XC course. Not sure of what the schedule is to allow people on the race course.

    -Derek

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MrCrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by derek
    Not doing the race this year, but I'd be careful as the Downhill is being run on Saturday and that course overlaps with the XC course. Not sure of what the schedule is to allow people on the race course.
    On the entry form, it states that riders will not be allowed onto the race course until the last DH rider has cleared, so I'm thinking I should be alright. Thanks for the heads up!

  9. #9
    J_B
    J_B is offline
    3056-BigGameHunter
    Reputation: J_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    736
    Since I missed the DH sign ups I am seriously thinking about doing the XC race on my RFX, which gets 6" front and rear. I figure I can enter in the beginner class and get my butt whooped. Assuming I survive the climb, I can at least have some fun on the way down.
    PipeHittersUnion

    e.thirteen,EVOMO,IntenseCycles,Maxxis,ODI,SDG,661

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •