Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    That's too much water the day before. You will effectively wash all the electrolytes from your system. Start hydrating the 4-5 days ahead of your race and make sure you are keeping a decent sodium intake up. I bet this will help with your cramping issues.

29 some of the time...
    Great stories all

Glad to hear that you made it out in one piece Gary

I saw a lot of familiar mtbr faces up there this weekend. Eric on the monster cross was a cool cat. I ran into him on Friday's pre-ride of baby heads and discussed some of the SC team. I saw Menso on both days. He dwarfed the competition in speed and size
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

GMM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dscot420
    Great stories all

Glad to hear that you made it out in one piece Gary

I barely made it out, but thanks. Next year I will definately be riding something other than an RX; something with 5" of travel up-front sure, perhaps a SC BLT.

Hey, when I drove by your place on Friday, I had second thoughts about going solo as it looked like you guys were having a real good time hanging outside. Then when I rode my bike by the cabin (and suffering like a dog) after the XC race, I knew I had made a mistake .

All-in-all, I still had a great time in a sick kind of way. I love Downieville, what can I say.

mtbr member
    Thanks Sean. That's exactly what my mother (an RN) told me.

It's about showing up.

A blue sky guess on cramping

I believe I saw 2 posts talking about inner thigh cramping. Clearly racing increases the intensity of effort, and the duration of intense effort. That should apply to ALL muscles. So as I was riding around yesterday it occurred to me that perhaps race situations induce other kinds of changes.

For example an unconscious change in pedaling motion might occur in a race situation. On my ride yesterday I realized that when I pushed on a certain section of trail I shifted my pedal pressure to the great ball of my foot and it worked my inner thigh. That muscle is not very big, especially compared to other thigh muscles which supply most of our power. Exploiting that muscle might induce cramping.

Just sayin'....

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike
    I believe I saw 2 posts talking about inner thigh cramping. Clearly racing increases the intensity of effort, and the duration of intense effort. That should apply to ALL muscles. So as I was riding around yesterday it occurred to me that perhaps race situations induce other kinds of changes.

For example an unconscious change in pedaling motion might occur in a race situation. On my ride yesterday I realized that when I pushed on a certain section of trail I shifted my pedal pressure to the great ball of my foot and it worked my inner thigh. That muscle is not very big, especially compared to other thigh muscles which supply most of our power. Exploiting that muscle might induce cramping.

Just sayin'....
    This is an interesting bit on cramping. Check the EMAC part.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness.p.../sodium_intake

Morgan

bike dork extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    This is an interesting bit on cramping. Check the EMAC part.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness.p.../sodium_intake

Morgan
    Thanks for the link! A very interesting article, and the explanation that fatiqgue is the main cause of cramping makes a lot of sense.

I only cramped at the start of the climb out of Third Divide, which is right after the bumpiest sections of the downhill. All of the downhill pounding caused my muscles to cry foul when I started to pedal at full power for the uphill. After walking for the first several hundred yards, and stretching my legs out in the process, the cramp subsided. I guess that means I need to train my legs more for the downhill, and practice different pedal positions so that they don't get locked up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3