mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Downieville Classic on a singlespeed

I am always trying to mix things up to keep my mountain bike adventures interesting. So I thought I would try something different this year: prepare for and race the Dville Classic on a singlespeed.

I am expecting it to be difficult and harsh. Any words of advice on training/preparation/expectations for this adventure?

I just wanna go fast...
    Quote Originally Posted by memine View Post
    I am always trying to mix things up to keep my mountain bike adventures interesting. So I thought I would try something different this year: prepare for and race the Dville Classic on a singlespeed.

I am expecting it to be difficult and harsh. Any words of advice on training/preparation/expectations for this adventure?
    Before you do it, double check that you are in fact a gnarly dude. Otherwise you might not have a very good time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by bdamschen View Post
    Before you do it, double check that you are in fact a gnarly dude. Otherwise you might not have a very good time.
    Ha! That is part of the experiment. What kind of gnarly dude am I made of :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The DH is the easy part. The climb, in and of itself, isn't that hard (ok, it is). It's contending with all the geared riders in front of you. I did Dville last year on a SS for the first time. As you know, on a ss you need to maintain a minimum speed, otherwise you'll fall over. So when I found myself behind geared riders spinning in their granny gears I'd pass where possible. Unfortunately, often times you're behind a train of 7-10 bikes.

So I'd blow up trying to pass larger groups, only to gas out and have to walk some sections. I'm racing ss again this year, but will take a slightly different approach and just try to hold a slower speed where I can to recover, then pass in spots where I know I can keep going once I'm ahead.

I say do it. Yeah, it's a kick in the crotch of a climb, but other than the fireroad to Pauley Creek you really aren't spun out much.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by i.a.n. View Post
    As you know, on a ss you need to maintain a minimum speed, otherwise you'll fall over.
    Damn, I was doing it wrong all this time...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I know plenty of single speeders who have no problem passing large groups. I don't have the legs or lungs to pass big groups of people that up that hill without coming unglued. So I prefer a nice and easy pace. But too easy and yeah, I gotta clip out.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Damn, I was doing it wrong all this time...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by i.a.n. View Post
    I know plenty of single speeders who have no problem passing large groups. I don't have the legs or lungs to pass big groups of people that up that hill without coming unglued. So I prefer a nice and easy pace. But too easy and yeah, I gotta clip out.
    I was referring to the fact that I keep falling over.

I rode up DV climb once, I have no idea how you guys do it on SS while racing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Ahhh, apparently we're also slow in the head.

I just think how good the jump in the river is gonna feel after the race.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I was referring to the fact that I keep falling over.

I rode up DV climb once, I have no idea how you guys do it on SS while racing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Pulled the trigger and signed up for the singlespeed category today. Come August 3, we'll see if the gnarly dude exists inside me somewhere :-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Anyone have a GPX/KML track of the race course? I wanna see the average grade of the big climb so I can start obsessing :-)

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Just search on Strava. It's a segment.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Pulled the trigger and signed up for the singlespeed category today. Come August 3, we'll see if the gnarly dude exists inside me somewhere :-)
    Eweda man! Good luck!
    Information on the trails at New Hogan Lake, Calaveras County, CA.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Been there, done that ~10 years ago. The tough part of the XC climb then was the double track had one clean line. The other side was loose rock. I could not quite ride all the climb, but pushing on the bad side was tougher than riding the clean side. Flatted mid race on the way down and do not remember my finish time/place.

Raised my gearing and mounted DH tires for the next day. Just over an hour (shorter than current course) and 5th place.

Lots of fun.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

HTFU!
    Damn! Was planning on bringing my rigid Niner One9 to D'ville (surely there will be many others), but as I went to register I saw it falls on my Daughters b-day (wife already has made plans). So I guess I will just enjoy a non-racing trip out there sometime in the future and plan ahead for next year.
    Now go get some!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I signed up for the Downieville race as a singlespeed participant, but after riding the race course yesterday, I don't see how I could make this a fun day on the bike. Walking the SS is fine with me, but I'd forgotten how rough the downhill is. I rarely ride Downieville, BTW. I even considered carrying a spare kidney on race day, but still...

Hey, this is why we preride, right?

In other words, I am something less than the gnarly dude I supposed :-)