mtbr member

Downieville area trails....

Has anyone ever ridden on the Halls Ranch or Fiddle Creek trails? They are both located on the ridge across the river from the North Yuba trail. Halls Ranch is about 5 miles south of Downieville on Hwy 49. Halls Ranch intersects with Fiddle Creek up on top of the ridge,

I rode North Yuba, Halls Ranch and Fiddle Creek trails as a loop today. It was a great ride. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Man, I've never seen so little activity on this site before. ......Sea Otter.......

mtbr member
    I love that loop, especially early in the season before it gets too hot. The views on Fiddle Ridge back towards the Sierra Buttes are awesome. I once almost had a head-on with a bear on that trail.The climb up Halls Ranch from Ramshorn Campgrond is brutal... How was the brush on Fiddle Ridge? It gets overgrown sometimes. How was the poison oak?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailseeker
    I love that loop, especially early in the season before it gets too hot. The views on Fiddle Ridge back towards the Sierra Buttes are awesome. I once almost had a head-on with a bear on that trail.The climb up Halls Ranch from Ramshorn Campgrond is brutal... How was the brush on Fiddle Ridge? It gets overgrown sometimes. How was the poison oak?
    Yea it was an awesome ride. Your right, that climb up Halls ranch is unrelenting. About 2000 ft. in 2 miles. I had to walk a good portion of it. But it was well worth the effort. I had this big smile stuck on my face on for most of the Fiddle Creek trail back down to Cal Ida Rd.

Fiddle Creek for the most part was clear of overgrowth. But there were a few sections coming down that were badly overgrown.Those trails don't look like they get much use. Not much poisin oak though. I did find a tick crawling on my leg at one point. I quickly brushed him off. I checked myself when I got home, and luckily found none of his buddies.

I took alot of pictures but for some reason they all suck. The color is off for some reason. Here's a few that dont suck too bad:

1. View from the North Yuba trial of the North Yuba River
    2. First swithchback of many on Halls Ranch trail
    3. View from Fiddle Creek Trail on top of the ridge
    4. Fiddle Creek Trail view of canyon
    5. Waterfall on Fiddle Creek off Cal-Ida Rd

The ride's moving time was a little over 4 hours. Glad I got it in yesterday. I knew the forcast was for rain today, but it still hasn't stopped!
    Attached Images Attached Images