mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Donner Lake Rim Trail-HITG Aug. 7 or 9

Hey!

Will be coming up to Truckee and plan on riding DLRT-HITG on either 8/7 or 8/9. Will most likely start at Glacier Way. I've never ridden these trails, but looks like a good 30+mile route. Anyone else going to be in the area? Let me know.

Paper or plastic?
    This is going to work you pretty good. If you could self shuttle, you could leave a car at the bottom of Negro Canyon and start from Glacier. The single track down to 80 is pretty sweet. That would also cut the last climb back to Glacier.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    This is going to work you pretty good. If you could self shuttle, you could leave a car at the bottom of Negro Canyon and start from Glacier. The single track down to 80 is pretty sweet. That would also cut the last climb back to Glacier.
    zorg, thanks for the info. My plan is to have my wife drop me off at the Glacier TH, ride and then have her pick me up at the end of HITG. Does that sound reasonable? What is the name of the singletrack to 80? I was planning on following the DLRT from this map: http://www.tdlandtrust.org/sites/def...T%20Map(1).pdf

I do quite a bit of 30-45 mile rides here in So CA, but certainly not at that elevation. Hope I can handle this.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by kingaucho View Post
    zorg, thanks for the info. My plan is to have my wife drop me off at the Glacier TH, ride and then have her pick me up at the end of HITG. Does that sound reasonable? What is the name of the singletrack to 80? I was planning on following the DLRT from this map: http://www.tdlandtrust.org/sites/def...T%20Map(1).pdf

I do quite a bit of 30-45 mile rides here in So CA, but certainly not at that elevation. Hope I can handle this.
    It's still part of the DLRT. On the map, it's the red trail that goes from the TH at the Donner lake exit on I80 to the blue line. HITG works you pretty good because it's so rocky, but then again, I'm not doing big rides like you. Actually, if your wife is going to pick you up afterward, you can ride down Negro canyon, and then ride down the Donner lake road all the way to the lake.

(slight return)
    Don't listen to Zorg, he makes everything sound hard. I did that ride starting and ending at the Negro Canyon exit, driving up from sea level that day. It was 3700' of climbing and 27 miles. If you're not used to the altitude, take it a little slower. I've bonked hard at altitude a couple times, but Tahoe isn't really *that* high, that ride barely gets above 8k.

-slide

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by slide mon View Post
    Don't listen to Zorg, he makes everything sound hard. I did that ride starting and ending at the Negro Canyon exit, driving up from sea level that day. It was 3700' of climbing and 27 miles. If you're not used to the altitude, take it a little slower. I've bonked hard at altitude a couple times, but Tahoe isn't really *that* high, that ride barely gets above 8k.

-slide
    I would listen to Slide.

mtbr member
    If you have the time and you want a mans ride, here is the ride that I do at least once a week...depending on your fitness, give yourself 4-6 hours.

Start/finish at Donner lake.
    1) Ride up to DLI go out to summit lake on the DLRT.
    2) Make a left at the next 4 way which is about 1/4 mile past summit lake. (it's called technical XC on Strava).
    3) Follow this trail until you hit the next trail where you will make a right (look for 2 down trees).
    4) Follow this trail until you hit the fire road where you will make a left. Follow this fire road across the stream.
    5) Follow the fire road until you hit a 'T' intersection and now you are on HITG.
    6) Follow HITG to Lola Montez lake.
    Now you're 1/2 way done.
    7) Turn around and ride it in reverse all the way to the top of Andecite peak.
    8) At the top of Andecite, as soon as you can see to the east over the ridge, look for a trail to the left. It's marked with two boulders. Take the left onto this trail.
    9) Now you are at castle pass, you will see a sign. Go right
    10) Go for about 100 yards and the single track will make a hard left - take this left
    11) follow this to the fire road and make a left.
    12) On the fire road go up until you see the DLRT to the right.
    13) Take the DLRT back to Summit lake
    14) Go back down negro canyon
    15) At DLI take the trail to the lake shore (it's on strava)...

Crack a beer and jump and the lake, and don't cramp up!
    Always respect rangers, they are doing their job-Everyone else has no authority, so get out of the way of the of the ATrain!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks all.

Wilderness Rider, thanks and looks good, but a little confusing to someone who hasn't ridden these trails.

Hope I can get someone to tag along as it looks like my buddies from So CA may be out.

mtbr member
    Thanks all.

Wilderness Rider, thanks and looks good, but a little confusing to someone who hasn't ridden these trails.

Hope I can get someone to tag along as it looks like my buddies from So CA may be out.
    Much easier than it reads...if you look at Strava you will see the flow of how it all fits together. Or just PM me if you have specific questions.
    Always respect rangers, they are doing their job-Everyone else has no authority, so get out of the way of the of the ATrain!

(slight return)
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    I would listen to Slide.
    Now I feel bad. You should listen to Zorg.

-slide

(aka "grace")
    I'd suggest visiting the DLRT access trailhead above I-80 before heading to Glacier Way, so you know how it fits into the overall picture.

From Glacier, you'll descend, cross above the access trail, and climb over to Summit Lake. (Once you catch the singletrack from Glacier Way the DLRT is pretty easy to navigate.)

At the end of the DLRT, turn right on the dirt road to reach the start of HiTG - there's a trail kiosk marking the start. After the first climb to the ridge (viewpoint/overlook) you'll be committed for a while - that's a good place to decide whether you're ready for more miles of alternating climbing and descending.

There are several places where your wife could pick you up - by the fire station north of the Soda Springs exit from I-80, or in the Boreal parking lot (completing the loop includes some pavement and dirt roads), or you could complete the loop, return on the DLRT, and meet her at the bottom of the I-80 access trailhead.

This might also be helpful: Dirt- Donner Lake Rim Trail + Hole in the Ground | Coast to Mountain.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

mans ride

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness Rider View Post
    If you have the time and you want a mans ride, here is the ride that I do at least once a week...depending on your fitness, give yourself 4-6 hours.

2) Make a left at the next 4 way which is about 1/4 mile past summit lake. (it's called technical XC on Strava).
    3) Follow this trail until you hit the next trail where you will make a right (look for 2 down trees).
    4) Follow this trail until you hit the fire road where you will make a left. Follow this fire road across the stream.
    5) Follow the fire road until you hit a 'T' intersection and now you are on HITG.
    Now you're 1/2 way done.
    8) At the top of Andecite, as soon as you can see to the east over the ridge, look for a trail to the left. It's marked with two boulders. Take the left onto this trail.
    10) Go for about 100 yards and the single track will make a hard left - take this left

give me a break WR. Mans ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hey!

Will be coming up to Truckee and plan on riding DLRT-HITG on either 8/7 or 8/9. Will most likely start at Glacier Way. I've never ridden these trails, but looks like a good 30+mile route. Anyone else going to be in the area? Let me know.
    hi
    that route is about 20 miles w/ 2800 feet of climbing. I do it frequently. pm me when your up here and if it works out, I will join you. I do it as an out and back, but from the lola Montez (sp?) lakes back to donner lake. on 8/7 I will be riding it, god willing.

mtbr member

Now you're 1/2 way done.

This looks awesome!

Last weekend I did 1-4 but didn't know about 8-12 until I got back home. Mapping this ride out for next visit.

BTW #15 (DLI trail) - I did that too but was mightily confused at the bottom. "scatter"?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ratpick View Post
    This looks awesome!

BTW #15 (DLI trail) - I did that too but was mightily confused at the bottom. "scatter"?
    This is b/c this section of trail is unofficial and built on private land and we don't want to make it obvious that there is a bike trail here even though it's on Strava and everyone knows about it at this point...this way it will hopefully be around for generations to come All in all it's a great long ride.

NedwannaB
    WR, how much does your ride vary from the 34 mile ride that Grace posted?

Thanks in advance.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    WR, how much does your ride vary from the 34 mile ride that Grace posted?

Thanks in advance.
    Just looked and personally I prefer to start and finish at the lake shore. This way you get the first 2k of climbing from the Donner Lake to Andecite out of the way early in the ride and then at the end of the ride you get to finish on a 2k downhill back to the lake shore (swim and beers). I also added in two break off sections to my route (1 on the way out past summit lake and one on the way back at the top of andecite) that mixes things up and adds additional, fun and technical singletrack. In addition too a longer ride it also cuts out some road sections (while adding one small road section).

As they say in some parts of the world...same same but different

NedwannaB
    Just looked and personally I prefer to start and finish at the lake shore. This way you get the first 2k of climbing from the Donner Lake to Andecite out of the way early in the ride and then at the end of the ride you get to finish on a 2k downhill back to the lake shore (swim and beers). I also added in two break off sections to my route (1 on the way out past summit lake and one on the way back at the top of andecite) that mixes things up and adds additional, fun and technical singletrack. In addition too a longer ride it also cuts out some road sections (while adding one small road section).

As they say in some parts of the world...same same but different
    Thanks. I'll have to check it out.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

(aka "grace")
    Lots of options
    Last edited by lkgeo; 08-11-2013 at 11:08 AM. Reason: (updt)

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I plan on starting from Glacier Way tomorrow around 8 am. PM me if you are interested.