mtbr member

Dogmeat Challenge film this Sunday

Hi there

As you may know, I put on a no-dab hill climb challenge in Los Gatos called the Dogmeat No-Dab challenge. Seems a little movie is being filmed this Sunday and all interested riders are welcome! Plan has it that we meet at the bottom of Dogmeat, at the intersection of Priest Rock and Limekiln trails at 4:30 pm on bikes.

Please chime in here and soon if you want to participate...looking for head count.

Thanks and let us know.
    I'm not sure how this works.

mtbr member
    I just got his email and will be there as well!
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I will try and make it. I rode it "down" last Sunday, it was way loose. Should I even go?They can film me dab dab dabbing away on the way up, or not! I've only been "UP" PR once. Weather should be nice at 4:30pm.

mtbr member
    So emailing Charlie, he is asking if anyone has an inclinometer to help show how steep it is. Usually the way filming works is that this won't be a full "no-dab" affair since we will have to repeat sections several times. It can be just as hard to do certain sections of that trail even while being rested. He is also aware that this is super duper hard in summer with a baked, loose trail. He would like any data about it as well. From what I can remember, it is just over a mile long and the steepest gradient is just under 40%. I know some people on here will have a good idea of how to make a homemade inclinometer possibly. I am ready for them to capture my epic failure on film, just want to look my best while failing

mtbr member
    I went to Chico so have a pretty solid understanding of how steep things get and I'd say it's somewhere around 30-80% give or take.

mtbr member
    Hah! I see what you did there. Funny.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    if your phone has a tilt sensor (most but not all do), get an app which can tell you the slope.
    'dioptra' is one which works on android.
    note that it reports degrees not percent, but easy enough to convert.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post
    if your phone has a tilt sensor (most but not all do), get an app which can tell you the slope.
    'dioptra' is one which works on android.
    note that it reports degrees not percent, but easy enough to convert.
    Yeah but doesn't the Barfly attachment hold the device the wrong way? Coukd be some mid-calcs on the gradients.....just sayin.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member

My crew is in!

I suppose the main thing is to clean/make the 3 worst sections if possible. This one towards the last section is my least favorite!Dogmeat Challenge film this Sunday-1203111255a.jpg Here is another pic of the same hill. Dogmeat Challenge film this Sunday-fullsizerender-252.jpg LG Man named this hill the Dealbreaker! It won't be so bad since we aren't trying for the no dab during filming.
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

NedwannaB
    What is this Dog meat you speak of?...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    What is this Dog meat you speak of?...
    It's a double black diamond climb.

Wēk Sôs
    e-bike time!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    It's a double black diamond climb.
    Oh. My.....

mtbr member

Which bikes are you movie stars using?

I'm prolly gonna dance with who brung me ... last season. 93 ish Klein. Dogmeat Challenge film this Sunday-fullsizerender-243.jpg Or use the 1x10 Ripley.Dogmeat Challenge film this Sunday-fullsizerender-281.jpg Meet here ... Intersection of Priest Rock trail and Limekiln trail. Note: Loads of ways to get to the start point. Up Limekiln or Priest Rock trail from Alma bridge road is probably best but up Kennedy then down Priest / dogmeat to intersection start works also.
    Last edited by ancient rascal; 08-17-2017 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Where the show starts pic!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Very happy to report MidPen just issued my drone permit. We'll get some good aerial shots. Unless my drone dabs that is
    Charlie

PRETENDURO
    If I can make it back from Monterey Peninsula in time, I will be there! Will bring my 1x10 front-squish fatty. Looking forward to seeing you all there!!!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    I'm traveling. Can't wait to see the video
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Good time it there with these soon to be ultra famous good balls. Look forward to seeing the film.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PRETENDURO
    “Good balls” 😂 Yes, mine are fine, thanks, better than most balls I guess, but not getting as much use lately as they are used to .

I was surprised to be able to make it out there… albeit just “a tad” behind schedule. I drove back as quick as traffic would allow from the Fort Ord area, went home, switched bikes, drove back on over to Los Gatos and proceeded up Overgrown to Dogmeat, was happily relieved to see you guys partway up and seemingly waiting for me! Was an asskicker “recovery ride” after a singlespeed Cat1 race… although we took it at as “social as possible pace” considering it is Dogmeat.

The weather conditions were perfect. Although it was pretty warm in places, we were treated with a nice “cooling tailwind” up Dogmeat. The trail though, well, it’s usual blown-out self this time of year… very loose.

I am looking forward to seeing the edited footage! Thanks to the Mid Pen for supplying us with our “own” designated ranger (Peter I believe his name was) and Charlie and his assistant (?) for arranging everything! Was a fun yet pain-inducing recovery ride for me.

Love the Jenner, Cosell, Simpson image!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    buncha nerds

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    it was nice walking down past some of you with my busted rear wheel. weather was great for a hike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CKrenz View Post
    Very happy to report MidPen just issued my drone permit. We'll get some good aerial shots. Unless my drone dabs that is
    Charlie
    Thanks for making this happen Charlie! Incredible fun and what a surprise when you drug us all over to the first and worst long bastid brother hill on the Kennedy ridge for extra credit/pain to finish the film on! We didn't sign up for that but it was quite the exclamation point finish ... man!Dogmeat Challenge film this Sunday-img955390.jpg Todays 6 Riders ... From left to right. ancient rascal ... Brazilian Climber ... pmarshall ... Leopold Porkstacker ... Squashyo ... LG Man
    Last edited by ancient rascal; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Sorry dude! I think you said your spoke broke? I didn't have a tube on me but not sure that would have helped anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks to all for a great time yesterday. I've down loaded all video from my cameras and after a cursory review detect no technical glitches and more than few pretty good clips.
    To Ranger Peter Cook... should you be reading this, thanks so much for the help yesterday, we couldn't have done it with out you and the support we received from MidPen management.
    Charlie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    Sorry dude! I think you said your spoke broke? I didn't have a tube on me but not sure that would have helped anyway.
    Sorry too...I did offer my tube but he said he was cool. I have been there...I actually flatted at the very top of Kennedy and made that huge walk home...not one guy offered me a tube and it scarred me.

As to Motorbacon: "Buncha nerds", can't argue with you on that one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    It has been some two years i dont go to the back side of Kennedy trail!

I was surprised I have made that far! I guess the cameras pumped me up!?

I heard the sound of a spoke snapping, even thought it could have been mine!

Squashy it is a shitty walk down kennedy if you have a flat tire, it happened to me many times, and the air pump I had was broken! Ask Ancient Rascal and LG Man about this!

I feel honored to have been part of these adventure caught on tape!

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbacon View Post
    buncha nerds
    Whereda**** you been hiding???

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Stuck in Walnut Creek/Pleasant Hill getting older and fatter.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbacon View Post
    Stuck in Walnut Creek/Pleasant Hill getting older and fatter.
    LOL! There’s plenty of riding to be had over there, ya just gotta look fer it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    this is a good crew. atleast 5 people offered to help.

mtbr member

Almost show time

We shot a short intro for the Dogmeat Challenge portion of Charlies video. He wanted to use an older rider still after it. The catchy MTBR name sealed the deal. Squashyo was ok with the idea and gave it his blessing. I got to see a bit of the actual ride vid and it's pretty impressive. My epic fail on the very first hill naturally made the cut and my redeeming ground pounding climb out on the bastid brother hill ... did not make the cut. As usual I'll post up the good and the bad.

PRETENDURO
    Looking forward to the film.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Looking forward to the film.
    It's gonna be a fairly short but sweet segment but maybe someday ... we get Charlie to shoot a 20/40 under challenge with the Dogmeat no dab on the same run combo film. Get some of the original guys who can actually complete both nonstop. I get to ride because it's my idea! :-) I know you're in eh?

PRETENDURO
    Charlie, should you need any sort of editorial information regarding the Dogmeat Experience™, I am sure several of us here would gladly contribute… could transform your feature film into a mini documentary. I know, I know, more post production editing, every AV person’s worst nightmare (been there, done that).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Charlie, should you need any sort of editorial information regarding the Dogmeat Experience™, I am sure several of us here would gladly contribute… could transform your feature film into a mini documentary. I know, I know, more post production editing, every AV person’s worst nightmare (been there, done that).
    So ... are you in for an attempt at what these guy's did in 2014 LP? ... Sub 20 /40 combination's here ... (1. Pmarshall + Dog/no dab ... (2. Vincinator99 + Dog/no dab ... (3. Juan Navarro + Dog/no dab ... (4. BigSpin (5. Lilysdad ... (6. Leopold Porkstacker ... (7. Ancient Rascal ... (8. Vedson (9. You can be the only guy to do on a single speed? They kinda let the air out of our 20/40 deal eh? Stay tuned LP will be back on tonite!

mtbr member
    This subject matter is so played out - Huell was covering this stuff way back in the day!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    This subject matter is so played out - Huell was covering this stuff way back in the day!

Remember what Huell says in the clip ... It's nothing to be ashamed of if you can't make them! :-)

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post

That hill’s got metric buttloads more traction than Dogmeat!