climbing optimized
    Sep 2013

dog poop bags on the trail

Is anyone else seeing a proliferation of plastic bags containing dog poop on the trail? They're all over Sanborn this summer. ****ing slobs.

mtbr member
    Wait, the parks don't employ someone to pick those up for us?!
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    I've noticed this problem in Chico since I started riding here 10 years ago. Very frustrating

This year the city switched from dark green bags that were basically camouflaged to bright neon bags that stand out and make it really clear what people are doing. So far it seem to have led to a slight decline in bags left on the trail.

Trail Gnome
    I seem to recall this being an issue...
    Bags of dog sh!t

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Someday, I want to make a poop catcher like the horses get to wear in city parks.
    Now that I finally have a dropper post, I think I have enough clearance.
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd

Dropshot Champ!
    I asked a lady once while she was putting a dog poop bag down. She gave the perfect answer...she was heading OUT on a hike with her dog, and she'd get it on her way back...so she wouldn't have to carry it.

Which makes a little bit of sense. Now they either just forget, or they knowingly leave them there most of the damn time it seems.

Lazy mofos.

Hella Olde
    They wrap up natural, biodegradable excrement in plastic hothouses to rot trail-side (or worse, and probably more likely, flung into the bushes). They are everywhere now, including city streets in SF.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Dog poop isn't biodegradable. At least not by normal sources for normal dog food. The shit just sits forever. Maybe if you stomped it all over your shoe and walked it off you could say it biodegraded.

I am with the lady though. If it's close to the entrance on an out and back I will leave a bag for me to pick up on the way back. And I do.

I have noticed the park near me get progressively worse with dog poop all over the trail. I would prefer if it was in bags lined up on the side.

mtbr member
    I bought a "poop transporter from these guys, little sack that connects to my handlebars or backpack. I just use a throw a handful of dirt in the poop bag and put it in the PT, works great except for when I forget and leave it in my truck for a couple days. That reminds me....
    %SHANKS Dog Stuff
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    I think this is a California thing. Take the world's most bio-degradable substance, wrap it up in the world's least bio-degradable substance, and leave it at the side of the trail, feeling all smug and good about yourself. These same people complain about mountain biking being harmful for the environment.

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
    I think this is a California thing. Take the world's most bio-degradable substance, wrap it up in the world's least bio-degradable substance, and leave it at the side of the trail, feeling all smug and good about yourself. These same people complain about mountain biking being harmful for the environment.
    Wait, what?
    "...rhetorical hyperbole..."

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I think this is a California thing.
    Don't spend much time riding out of state, eh?

It's a lazy, inconsiderate and entitled thing. And those people are everywhere.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    I asked a lady once while she was putting a dog poop bag down. She gave the perfect answer...she was heading OUT on a hike with her dog, and she'd get it on her way back...so she wouldn't have to carry it.

Which makes a little bit of sense. Now they either just forget, or they knowingly leave them there most of the damn time it seems.

Lazy mofos.
    Bingo!
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Dog poop is not biodegradable. It decomposes. That's not the samething.

Growing up with dogs and frequently not cleaning it up. That shit doesn't dissappear. It just sits in a gooey mess they gets stuck to your shoe.i would far prefer bags on the side of a trail than poop in the trail.

Un-fact checked article below.

https://bangordailynews.com/2015/05/...s-infographic/

mtbr member
    Yep. Def a Cali thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    Marin County, CA

mtbr member
    Been seeing it more and more now. Even on trails that are not in the “community services district” or “city” or parks. Like on secret trails. Just bags of shit sitting around. Saw one two weeks ago on hwy 20 overlook near Nevada City - like what the flying fack.

There is a dna test done in some apartment/condos in CA where they can trace the poo to the owner. I want to be the guy who does this and i want the punishment to be I get to smear the poo all over the pet owners suck hole.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    Dog poop is not biodegradable. It decomposes. That's not the samething.

Growing up with dogs and frequently not cleaning it up. That shit doesn't dissappear. It just sits in a gooey mess they gets stuck to your shoe.i would far prefer bags on the side of a trail than poop in the trail.

Un-fact checked article below.

https://bangordailynews.com/2015/05/...s-infographic/

OK - I didn't scope the link but let me instead posit that poop eventually becomes a benign component of the topsoil - plastic bags don't. Not in many lifetimes. Now, maybe the poop bags are some newfangled potato byproduct and are better, I don't really know shit about it tbh.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I haven't posted in awhile, but I made an Instagram dedicated to this issue. There's a lot of poo bags out there.

@captainpoobags - say hi

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hasn’t someone invented a poop-pack to mount on the dog, so that the dog can carry the turds out? Could be something like those rescue dogs with the container full of brandy around their collar. Or doggy back pack? I am surprised I have not seen this on Shark Tank. If there were an app involved then Mark Cuban would be all over it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    this might work

https://www.chewy.com/outward-hound-...gaAqh0EALw_wcB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    OK - I didn't scope the link but let me instead posit that poop eventually becomes a benign component of the topsoil - plastic bags don't. Not in many lifetimes. Now, maybe the poop bags are some newfangled potato byproduct and are better, I don't really know shit about it tbh.
    Scientists are finding that "biodegradable" plastics don't. What was originally thought to break down over time turns out to just break up into smaller pieces of the same plastic and they are now being found in the digestive system of our food supply, like fish. It's becoming well documented. Thinking about all the one-time plastics out society discards, it's not much of a surprise.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    The reason it is bagged and left behind because the poop smell goes through the bag. You would think that the plastic bags would contain the smell but they don't. So, smelling poop your entire hike is unpleasant. When I would hike with my dog, I would have to triple bag it to somewhat contain the smell. The dog owners don't go through the effort of bagging it just to litter it on the trail. They most likely return to pick it up.

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's like when you have animals you have to be all responsible and stuff.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    While riding at Henry Coe I've never seen a poop bag by the trail. Probably because dogs aren't allowed there... However, on every single ride, I encounter at least a dozen coyote turds right in the middle of the trail. These animals are so inconsiderate!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I definitely see it here but saw it a lot more in Colorado, I think there was just more trail users though.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Awesome sign in many Santa Clara County parks.

Name:  there-is-no-poop-fairy.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  71.6 KB
    IPA will save America

Quote Originally Posted by jaycagney View Post
    I definitely see it here but saw it a lot more in Colorado, I think there was just more trail users though.
    No, here in Colorado the climate is so dry that they assume it will be a puff of dust in no time.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    The reason it is bagged and left behind because the poop smell goes through the bag. You would think that the plastic bags would contain the smell but they don't. So, smelling poop your entire hike is unpleasant. When I would hike with my dog, I would have to triple bag it to somewhat contain the smell. The dog owners don't go through the effort of bagging it just to litter it on the trail. They most likely return to pick it up.
    "Most likely"...meaning some get left for someone else to deal with. Like I see everywhere I ride, in every venue in every state, where people walk dogs.

The dog park adjacent to Elk Meadow trails/front range had to be closed due to....guess. Owners not picking up after their dogs. At a fuking dog park. Now, guess where the bags are left?

Turkey-basting bag is a solution to the smell. And/or, pre-load bags with lime, cat litter or the septic powder used in Wag Bags (available in bulk). Or just let your dog crap on the ground and flick it well off the trail where no one will experience it. Solutions exist; motivation from dog owners to find and use them does not. IME they can't be bothered with LNT.

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    "Most likely"...meaning some get left for someone else to deal with. Like I see everywhere I ride, in every venue in every state, where people walk dogs.

The dog park adjacent to Elk Meadow trails/front range had to be closed due to....guess. Owners not picking up after their dogs. At a fuking dog park. Now, guess where the bags are left?

Turkey-basting bag is a solution to the smell. And/or, pre-load bags with lime, cat litter or the septic powder used in Wag Bags (available in bulk). Or just let your dog crap on the ground and flick it well off the trail where no one will experience it. Solutions exist; motivation from dog owners to find and use them does not. IME they can't be bothered with LNT.
    Dog walkers are the cigarette smokers of the trails. I love dogs but, I have issues with their owners

Out spokin'
    As for dog owners who leave their dog poop bags trailside while they hike OUT intending to pick it up on their way BACK, I call foul. This is simply temporary littering (assuming they remember to pick it up, otherwise it's permanent) and temporary littering is just as offensive to non-dog owners as permanent littering. In fact I wish the dog owners would think beyond their own tiny universe for just a moment to ask this question: how is the rest of society supposed to know what's temporary and what isn't? It's right there on the side of the trail with no note of apology or explanation indicating someone intends to come back later. The offense is the same regardless. It's dog shit in a bag. On the ground. Apparently forgotten. If not forgotten, then flagrantly imposed on everyone who passes which I assure you is not what they went on their walk for.

What really irks me is these self absorbed dog owning folks feel it's inconvenient for them (cuz it smells, cuz it's heavy, cuz it's disgusting, which it is, whatever) so they thrust their inconvenience upon the rest of society. "Here, society, let's share MY problem. Deal with THIS."

Hey dog owners, don't want to carry the shit you're responsible for (cuz after all, it IS your dog!)? Then don't get a dog in the first place. This is one reason I don't have a dog. I totally get where my "rights" (ahem) end and my responsibilities begin. My unwillingness to carry my dog's shit means I don't get a dog. (Well, that and a bunch of other inconvenient stuff I'm unwilling to adjust my lifestyle to.)

I wouldn't foul anybody's neighborhood or trail, not even for 10 minutes. To anyone who walks past during that brief time, it's either there or it isn't. If it's there, temporary or not, the damage is done and the effect is not positive.

Please dog owners, raise the bar. Carry your dog's shit. Even if other dog owners don't get it, please don't be that person yourself. None of the rest of the world wants to deal with it. Not even see it. It's a blight. Thank you.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    As for dog owners who leave their dog poop bags trailside while they hike OUT intending to pick it up on their way BACK, I call foul. This is simply temporary littering (assuming they remember to pick it up, otherwise it's permanent) and temporary littering is just as offensive to non-dog owners as permanent littering. In fact I wish the dog owners would think beyond their own tiny universe for just a moment to ask this question: how is the rest of society supposed to know what's temporary and what isn't? It's right there on the side of the trail with no note of apology or explanation indicating someone intends to come back later. The offense is the same regardless. It's dog shit in a bag. On the ground. Apparently forgotten. If not forgotten, then flagrantly imposed on everyone who passes which I assure you is not what they went on their walk for.

What really irks me is these self absorbed dog owning folks feel it's inconvenient for them (cuz it smells, cuz it's heavy, cuz it's disgusting, which it is, whatever) so they thrust their inconvenience upon the rest of society. "Here, society, let's share MY problem. Deal with THIS."

Hey dog owners, don't want to carry the shit you're responsible for (cuz after all, it IS your dog!)? Then don't get a dog in the first place. This is one reason I don't have a dog. I totally get where my "rights" (ahem) end and my responsibilities begin. My unwillingness to carry my dog's shit means I don't get a dog. (Well, that and a bunch of other inconvenient stuff I'm unwilling to adjust my lifestyle to.)

I wouldn't foul anybody's neighborhood or trail, not even for 10 minutes. To anyone who walks past during that brief time, it's either there or it isn't. If it's there, temporary or not, the damage is done and the effect is not positive.

Please dog owners, raise the bar. Carry your dog's shit. Even if other dog owners don't get it, please don't be that person yourself. None of the rest of the world wants to deal with it. Not even see it. It's a blight. Thank you.
    =sParty
    Yep, I walk my dog off leash everywhere and I always carry his shit. I have many times left a bag on the trail and forgot about it. I bought a poop carrier so I don't do that anymore. It doesn't stink if you grab a handful of dirt and throw it in there too.
    Dog owners are our own worst enemy (sound familiar). People hate dog walkers like they hate mountain bikers, and no one believes we are coming back for those bags.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    As for dog owners who leave their dog poop bags trailside while they hike OUT intending to pick it up on their way BACK, I call foul.
    I ride some trails regularly back to back on days and I haven't seen bags that have been left to pick up and were still there the next day. I'm sure there is instances where they forgot to pick it up, but I haven't seen it. If the bag is left temporarily off the trail to the side, it doesn't affect my riding or hiking.

I think it is worse when the dog owners don't leash their dogs or have control of their dogs on the trail where it does affect riding and other people on the trail. Last time I was riding, a lady had a long string leash. Her dog was on the right side of the fire road and she was on the left. the leash was laying across the road. I didn't see it til the last second and ran the leash over. I was riding slow but still could of possibly hurt the dog or made me crash.

Trail Gnome
    I saw two poop bags at Anadell today

Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    I saw two poop bags at Anadell today
    Which proves nothing, unless of course they are still there in 100 years.

Trail Gnome
    PHP Code:

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Which proves nothing, unless of course they are still there in 100 years.
    Are you high? It proves that dog walkers, not owners, are sh!tbags themselves...I’m too good to pick up my dogs poop

PHP Code:

Are you high? It proves that dog walkers, not owners, are sh!tbags themselves...I’m too good to pick up my dogs poop
    Umm. . . that’s exactly what I got from your post and what I meant to get across. Not just because they are non biodegradable but because the owners don’t return for them.

Sarcasm lost, sorry.

mtbr member
    PHP Code:

Are you high? It proves that dog walkers, not owners, are sh!tbags themselves...I�m too good to pick up my dogs poop
    Again, people don't leave them there permanently. It is temporary. They pick them up on their way back.

It is funny how this topic is so fueled. Almost like talking politics, cats vs dogs, e-bikes, or 29ers. Haha.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Again, people don't leave them there permanently. It is temporary. They pick them up on their way back.
    Some do pick them up, but certainly not all. I often ride trails at night after all the hikers have left and regularly see the bags strewn about late at night.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Did the authorities catch the woman who was taking dumps along the trail in Colorado?

Elitest thrill junkie

It is funny how this topic is so fueled. Almost like talking politics, cats vs dogs, e-bikes, or 29ers. Haha.
    If that were true, there would never be any poop bags left on the trail over a day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

As I stop and take photos of them often, I look out for this. I typically only stop if I see the same bag on a different day, or if I'm on a long ride and I see it 6 hours later I may stop.

Basically, you're wrong. Some people may do this. The majority do not. I would guess approximately 2/3 do not come back.

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    Hasn’t someone invented a poop-pack to mount on the dog, so that the dog can carry the turds out? Could be something like those rescue dogs with the container full of brandy around their collar. Or doggy back pack? I am surprised I have not seen this on Shark Tank. If there were an app involved then Mark Cuban would be all over it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I have seen several products that attach to the leash for carrying out dog poop bags. Here are a few:

Leash mounted bag type = Dog Waste Bags | Dog Poop Bags | Discreet Dog Bag For Dog Poop

Minimalist type = https://www.thefifthpaw.com

Real minimalist type = https://www.amazon.com/Okydoky-Holde.../dp/B0797YJR3Q
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Stated like a true denier of the obvious. That rotting bag I saw yesterday morning – someone will be picking that up? Of course they won't. Pick it up to begin with and remove the retrieval (read: regularly missing) part of the equation. LNT is apparently lost on the shit leavers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

=sParty

Im a dog owner and dog person and agree with this 100%. It boggles my mind that some people don't thing past "Ill pick that bag up on the way back out" .... how about considering other trail uses that don't want to see plastic bags of shit littering the trail even if temporary. In some ways I think it's almost worse than leaving the poo there if it is in a discrete place and picking it up on your way back....at least the poo is a bit less obvious whereas the poo bag is just sitting there detracting from others outdoor experience.

I regularly jog with my dog and he has a tendency to take a crap after a few minutes of running. Even mid jog, I pick it up and carry it with me until I can find a trash along the route. If I cant, I carry it all the way back. Jogging with a bag of poo in your hand is $hitty....but it's the responsible thing to do so others dont have to look at litter filled with poo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

SOME people pick them up....and lots dont but that's beside the point for me. I would prefer not to have brightly colored plastic bags littering the trailside while Im enjoying the outdoors. I marginally care that they might get picked up in an hour....because I cant unsee the poo that I just passed.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    However much we notice or stress about this.... it ain't gonna change. Too many clueless people, too many parks.

But this is one effective statementdog poop bags on the trail-dog-mess_trans_nvbqzqnjv4bqrwyeuu_h0zbkyvljoo6zlrdu0tl-cg_amouqysxmfgu.jpg
    IPA will save America

Uncle
    If someone is down to film it, I'll carry a dozen of my son's soiled diapers on a ride and set them down right next dog walkers leaving bags trail side. "I'm going to pick this up on my way back. Really..." Would make for a funny vid anyway.

Trail Gnome
    Bump

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    there are quite a few videos on how to pick up poop but not on carry or disposal

https://youtu.be/lAZqgNVMm3o

https://youtu.be/AO84b80v5nU

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    guy in 2nd video is type leaving on trail and forgetting. probably doesn’t use a bag...

Contains no juice.
    Why doesn't someone invent a hiking shoe with a hidden compartment- just step on the poop, and it is retained in the shoe for the duration of the hike.

Then, when you get home, just clean out the compartment with a clean knife, a wire brush attachment on your drill, your fingers, or a combination of the three.
    "...rhetorical hyperbole..."

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    DNA test for dogs is very cheap now. DNA test all dogs when they are registered, which is required.
    Then DNA test the poop left in public places and send fines.

This is what apartment complexes do around here and the cost is minimal.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    DNA test for dogs is very cheap now. DNA test all dogs when they are registered, which is required.
    Then DNA test the poop left in public places and send fines.

This is what apartment complexes do around here and the cost is minimal.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    same practice in Washington DC, and the fines are large enough that owner and pet have collective bowel movement.

mtbr member
    Did the authorities catch the woman who was taking dumps along the trail in Colorado?

Do they catch the ones doing it on the sidewalk in San Francisco?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    No, but instead they created a poop patrol. lol. They make 71K/year w/ 112K in benefits for a total of 184K/year. 6 people hired. It is gross but the money is not too shabby for being a human pooper scooper.

https://www.businessinsider.com/san-...-a-year-2018-8

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    I thought SF government instead made it an inalienable right to poop where one pleases?

I checked on Colorado case and it was happening in a front yard. Sounds like a publicity stunt or sick humor as the pooper vanished after the reporting of incident got someone their 15 minutes. The poopeee no longer responds.

mtbr member
    I've ridden over 50 different trailheads around the great lakes, and I can say hanging bags of poop is something I haven't encountered. I've encountered poop that was not picked up at all once in a great while. I don't understand, if you are taking the time to bag it, why not just go the distance? I think it is a California thing. When you guys leave because the cost of living is too high, please don't bring those people with you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post

Basically, you're wrong. Some people may do this. The majority do not. I would guess approximately 2/3 do not come back.

I am highly doubtful 2/3 of people leave their poopy bags behind. That's is a lot of people that don't give a poop. Lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Right, but I actually document them, so I am telling you what it is.

Most people do give a poop, I think, and they take their bags in the first place.
    I am highly doubtful 2/3 of people leave their poopy bags behind. That's is a lot of people that don't give a poop. Lol.

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    I think it is a California thing. When you guys leave because the cost of living is too high, please don't bring those people with you.
    It’s not us, it’s the people who moved to California from other states...they’re the ones with the dog poop issues; the same ones forcing us out to other states. If y’all stayed in your own state, we wouldn’t feel the need to leave.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It’s not us, it’s the people who moved to California from other states...they’re the ones with the dog poop issues; the same ones forcing us out to other states. If y’all stayed in your own state, we wouldn’t feel the need to leave.
    Haha, bingo!

I always tell people to visit, but to please go home when they're done getting sunburned

mtbr member
    Yesterday I misjudged the width of my handlebar and clipped one of the dispenser boxes on a post for the dog poop bags. It turned my front wheel and threw me on the ground hard

The first thing I thought was "ouch!" but the second was about this thread. But I wasn't sure which side to blame for my crash. I know for sure that I wouldn't have crashed if dogs didn't poop

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    @captainpoobags - say hi
    Tagged 🤘🏻

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I have been seeing way too many poo bags on the trails in the SLO area lately. I just had an FB conversation about it the other day and vowed that if I ever see someone do it that I am going to pick up the bag and either take it to them and ask them to pack it our or throw it at them. No, it's not nice, but neither is leaving shit bags on the trail.

The excuse that they are going to come back and get it only works on an out and back trail. If it's a loop or something similar, there is no excuse (not that it's a good excuse either way)

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    Yesterday I misjudged the width of my handlebar and clipped one of the dispenser boxes on a post for the dog poop bags. It turned my front wheel and threw me on the ground hard

The first thing I thought was "ouch!" but the second was about this thread. But I wasn't sure which side to blame for my crash. I know for sure that I wouldn't have crashed if dogs didn't poop
    But did you land face first in unbagged dog poop? If so, then there is a marginal benefit from the lazy leaving bagged poop on trail.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    But did you land face first in unbagged dog poop? If so, then there is a marginal benefit from the lazy leaving bagged poop on trail.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Only some metaphorical dog poo. I was moving over for some kids coming the other direction and crashed in front of them on a flat, paved path. "Kids, would you believe I'm actually a mountain biker?" Dog poo or better yet horse poo could have really saved me some bruises, though certainly only the literal kind

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogeron View Post
    I have been seeing way too many poo bags on the trails in the SLO area lately. I just had an FB conversation about it the other day and vowed that if I ever see someone do it that I am going to pick up the bag and either take it to them and ask them to pack it our or throw it at them. No, it's not nice, but neither is leaving shit bags on the trail.

The excuse that they are going to come back and get it only works on an out and back trail. If it's a loop or something similar, there is no excuse (not that it's a good excuse either way)
    whoa,

slow down - some bags degrade but if you really care, pick it up and pack it out. Is it about being right or doing what we can to improve our playground?

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by tunajuice View Post
    whoa,

slow down - some bags degrade but if you really care, pick it up and pack it out. Is it about being right or doing what we can to improve our playground?
    Golly that's tough question but since not handling dog shit (even in a bag) is one of the key reasons I choose not to have a four legged companion, I guess my personal answer to your question is being right trumps doing what we can. My answer is no, I'm not going to pick up anyone's dog shit, period. But here's the good news. While I'm 100% unwilling to handle bags of dog shit, if I find the person who left it there, I may be willing to get blood on my hands.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    While I'm 100% unwilling to handle bags of dog shit, if I find the person who left it there, I may be willing to get blood on my hands.
    =sParty
    Same here, pick up your own shit and we won't have this discussion. dog poop bags on the trail-img_1773.jpg
    After we rode this trail, the stench of shit was real.

mtbr member
    Same with horse owners...pick up that shit !!!
    08 Trance X2

Quote Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
    Same with horse owners...pick up that shit !!!
    At least that shit decomposes. Not that I’m a horse owner but there’s a HUGE difference between the two shits. One shit is not of equal shit consistency to another shit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    if I find the person who left it there, I may be willing to get blood on my hands.
    =sParty
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    Same here

Lol, buncha keyboard badasses over here.

Moderator Moderator
    Well if there's one thing that pisses me off as much as poop bags on the trail, it's people leaving their shopping cart in the parking lot at the grocery store......but I digress.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Californiagrown View Post
    Lol, buncha keyboard badasses over here.
    including you?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    including you?
    Not sure why i would be included? Unless you think funny (debatable) observations make me a badass? In which case, ill take it!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    At least that shit decomposes. Not that I’m a horse owner but there’s a HUGE difference between the two shits. One shit is not of equal shit consistency to another shit.
    Their shit stinks too.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by tunajuice View Post
    whoa,

slow down - some bags degrade
    But really, they don't. Scientists have determined they just break down into smaller pieces of plastic, but the plastic itself doesn't break down. They are finding these pieces of plastic now in animals, especially marine life.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Their shit stinks too.
    And there is about 5 lbs of it each tine they crap. It still takes a long time before it’s off the trail too

Nobody
    I guess everyone has to have something to bitch about. Equestrians hate cyclists, hikers hate everyone, cyclists hate dog owners, dog owners are inconsiderate assholes who don't police their shit.

The common denominator is people. All people are self absorbed and inconsiderate in some facet of life. Get over it and stop worrying about what everyone's else is doing and focus on what you can control, which is your behavior.

I'm a cyclist, a hiker, and a dog owner and regardless of what I'm doing at that moment, I just try to be courteous to the other trail users, even if they are angry at whatever activity I happen to be engaged in.l

I bag my dog's shit and carry it the whole hike because the one or 2 times I've placed it on the side of the trail with the intention of picking it up on the way out, I've forgotten. I think it's probably about 50/50 people who intend to pick up the shit, or just leave them there because they see other bags on the trail. If I see a bag of shit on the last 1/4 mile of my hike, I just pick them up and throw them in the trash on my way out.

I'm not saying you should do what I do, but why would you ruin your own day getting so upset about it?

Oh, and I totally agree about lazy ass people who can't manage to get the shopping cart back to the collection area. Do I get upset, no. I just grab one if I'm on my way in to the store.

So many people are lazy and inconsiderate but I'm not going to grow gray hair over what I can't change, but maybe if other considerate people see me picking up a bag or grabbing a shopping cart, they might think to repeat the behavior.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtbr member
    Hard to get over it and smile when someone like you who forgets "one or two times" to pick up their bag of shit. Next time put in your shopping cart you grab so many times.
    If you haven't realized it yet...bitching about nothing is a form of relaxation for a lot of people...yes, I'm a douche.
    Last edited by Screamer; 6 Days Ago at 08:14 PM.
    08 Trance X2