Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Crazed Country Rebel

Dog bites rider at redwood park

this is the second time my buddy's been bit this year, by an off leash dog at redwood park.

I went back to try and find the owner, but couldnt find her.

Moving forward I will be getting name and contact info plus a picture of the dog and owner - and reporting the owners to park police.

Please do the same, should you or someone you know get bitten by a dog.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

horn doggie
    That's crazy. I sure love dogs, but their owners when in public parks? Often a big NOT.

Just like a few bad apples give our sport a black eye, so, too, do bad dog owners to our canine friends.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by scooderdude View Post
    That's crazy. I sure love dogs, but their owners when in public parks? Often a big NOT.

Just like a few bad apples give our sport a black eye, so, too, do bad dog owners to our canine friends.
    I have two great dogs, one of which we know should not be allowed off leash. So he doesnt get to go off leash if other people or dogs are present. it's that easy.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yesterday while at Santa Teresa, I saw two Coyotes... Then at the end of my ride I ran into a ranger it and the end parking lot (past the bathrooms), looking up into the hills. The conversation went like this:

Me> Looking for something?
    Ranger> Yeah, a golden retriever got off leash and took off into the hills, owners are looking for it. Have you seen it?

Me> No. But I did see two Coyotes today off around Rocky Ridge
    Ranger> They might find the dog before we do...

mtbr member
    I never go on a ride without some of this stuff....I have had to use it once....and threaten to like 3 times!...

pro leisure tour
    Quote Originally Posted by Rack Man View Post
    I never go on a ride without some of this stuff....I have had to use it once....and threaten to like 3 times!...
    On a dog or an owner?
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyJay View Post
    On a dog or an owner?
    there's no reason to pepper spray a dog. If the dog is going to bite you, you dont have time for pepper spray. Much better to give him a boot to the head.

I've had to do this a couple times.

As much as I love dogs, it just isnt right that we should have to be put in such a position.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    For the most part, I rarely ever see a dog on leash at JMP. But at least they usually keep to sequoia bayview

mtbr member
    Ive taken my dog out a few times, off leash on the trails. He loves to go on rides with me so he gets excited when he see's a bike, sometimes barks and runs up to people as they go by. I hope they dont ever think he is going to bite because he never would, A boot to the head would probably teach him, but it would piss me off. Just depends on how hard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dog bites rider at redwood park-endo-hatch.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This has been beat to death in the General forum, but...

I hate dogs off leash on the trail, and I LOVE dogs. I am less afraid for my safety, and more afraid for the safety of the animal. I have had very close calls with dogs running alongside mountain bikes - it is COMPLETELY ILLEGAL to have off-leash dogs in STCP, yet people just don't give a sh]t.

So, if I accidentally hit a dog and injure it and I am not at fault - who is responsible for the vet bills?

I really, really would hate to go down that road, especially since I'd be devastated for the dog and would hate to get into a small claims court situation with a fellow MTB'er. I don't want to hit a dog; I'd feel horrible if I did - so why would owners risk that potential? This is my plea to keep your dogs ON LEASH.

As such, I only take my dogs, on leash on the trails, when the trails are closed to MTB'ers (like after a rain). That way, I'm not endangering my dog or a rider... and I have my dogs on leash, staying within the laws of the park.

Other days, I strap on the harness and run them along very low traffic multi-use trails with my beach cruiser (only one at a time).

I think I overdo my "responsible dog ownership" for the safety of my dog and for the safety of others. I own a pit bull, so I have to be really sensitive to others and the stereotypes of pit bulls.

When I was 14, I saw a dog in the back of a pick-up going towards Davenport. The dog looked like it was having the time of it's life, enjoying the wind, sniffing, having a ball.

The truck hit a pot hole and the dog went flying out of the back at 65 MPH.

So, dog owners... dogs can't think for themselves very well - they are not self aware of their mortality. Protect them, even if it is at the sacrifice of their "fun". Keep them on-lease and out of harms way - it's better for the entire community when you do. My dogs love running in the grass alongside my beach cruiser just as much as running on the MTB trails. The difference is, one activity lessens the risk of incident for a fellow trail user and my dogs.

As far as the coyote thing is concerned - that totally frightens me. Dogs don't know better, coyotes will kill them. My wife never brings her Chug (chihuahua pug) to the trails with fear of a predatory bird getting him. It happens - and she loves that dog more than anything.

NONDURO

When you’re ready to upgrade to the serious stuff, consider Kimber:

QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    Ive taken my dog out a few times, off leash on the trails. He loves to go on rides with me so he gets excited when he see's a bike, sometimes barks and runs up to people as they go by. I hope they dont ever think he is going to bite because he never would, A boot to the head would probably teach him, but it would piss me off. Just depends on how hard.
    When a dog off leash runs up to me barking, I am thinking this dog COULD bite me and I am on guard. Why would you assume that the rider knows the temperment of your dog? I have never had to kick a dog and I hope to never have to, but I have been unclipped and cocked to deliver a heel to the charging dog. Besides that, a dog that runs towards bikers could cause a less skilled rider to crash (think of newer riders and young kids). Please consider this as you let your dog off leash. I used to ride with my Australian Cattle dog and she would "heel" at my right side, staying even with my cranks. I trained her first with a short leash, then without a leash by changing my speed and even stopping at times to make sure that she was always in tune with the speed I was going. If she tried to get in front of me, I would turn my front tire into her and tell her sternly to "heel". She caught on fairly quick and I could let her off leash during part of the ride. I always kept a leash with me just incase I came across a situation that I didn't feel confident with. Usually having to deal with other dogs who where not on leash or with horses just to make sure I would not be liable for someone who couldn't handle their horse. Not trying to be sanctimonious, just offering a perspective from the rider being charged at from a dog they are not familiar with. BTW, GO GIANTS!
    "Time won't leave me as I am "

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I've been bitten twice on the trail near my house... once running and by a Old English Sheepdog off leash... the canine tooth punctured my thigh. I went to the ER to get it cleaned out and the DR. immediately wanted to start me on the rabies series... I told him to hold off as the owner's wife said the dog was vaccinated. The owner was a complete d*ck, but I had a witness and presented him with a $600+ bill.. he balked for months til I threatened legal action and he.. or he had his wife pay me... the second time, I was riding my bike and rode by a couple that had a beagle/bordercollie mix..I rode past them but, on my way back saw them and not the dog. Right when I was thinking to myself "I wonder where their dog is" he, came out of a hiding spot and nailed me on the calf..again punctured the skin.. The owners were only about 20' away and witnessed the whole thing. The guy was about to strangle his dog..I said, I need your info and I'm going to get it cleaned out. Went to Urgent Care and left with a $200 bill. The guy initially tried to hide from me but, finally relented and paid the bill. The trail here is notorius for off leash dogs..and I have no problem kicking them if they threaten me....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

I'd be tempted to use that on the owner's who don't clean up after their dogs when they walk them in the alley behind my house...

mtbr member
    @passenger13
    You're right about me assuming people should know about my dog being cool, but look at that guy, he doesnt have a mean bone in his body. I never take him on trails that are highly used by bikes. Some fire roads in marin, ggp in an area that I have never come across any bikes. When he's off leash for the most part he does whatever I tell him, when he sees a bike he runs up and gets right by the back wheel, which is where he stays when I ride. I totally agree with you but I think it's worth the risk, I slow way down when I come across a hiker, horse, dog and if people did that nothing would happen. If he ever hurt someone, I would pay in a second.
    When I ride, he never leaves my side except to crap, like your dog, he's a natural. It's only happened when I'm hiking with him. And yeah , Go Giants, I can't wait for this year.

mtbr member
    I love dogs....but any owner who keeps their dog off leash in a public area (where laws prohibit) suffer the consequences of any action I have to take to protect myself or my family....whether its a boot to the head, pepper spray or a 22 cal.....

there's no reason to pepper spray a dog. If the dog is going to bite you, you dont have time for pepper spray.
    And the way this mounts to your bike, you have immediate access to it...so you usually have plenty of time to get to it...trust me, I know first hand....its a proven performer

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Can somebody clarify that there is NO law against running your dog ON LEASH through the neighborhood? Of course, all other things being lawful, like the 6ft. leash law (in San Jose).

It's still legal for people to run their leashed dogs on a multi-use trail, but after the Beverly Head incident and all the old people that won't mind their business - it's not worth the hassle.

Reason why I'm asking, is I ran my dogs this morning, one at a time, through my neighborhood. Some guy said something to me, but I didn't hear him. I'm leaning towards him trying to say that what I was doing was illegal - but I'm not sure (ironically, while he had his dog on a 10ft leash, which is actually against the law). If this was the case, this would be the second time somebody has tried to confront me. I was off the the right, in the street, in my empty neighborhood - completely safe.

I wish people would just mind their business, but in case I need to respond in the event it happens again, I need some ammo saying that it IS legal. I believe there is no law against it.

Almaden Valley is the land of "old-people-being-up-in-your-business", where do they have the energy to confront people like me, just minding my own business?

banned
    Feb 2012
    good point about not knowing temperament of unfamiliar dogs (or people )

i think a lot off leash dog owners have altruistic motives, think of a dog lover saying "let sparky run free" with a trippy gaze in their eyes

also dog owners are squeezed just like mtbers, so we share that in common
    as a biker, i've been endangered or fallen down because of off leash dogs
    - dog wanders into trail
    - dog bites
    - dog threatens to bite
    - dog chases

bottom line: protect yourself
    it's just dog eat dog

mtbr member
    I've had many close calls at Redwood (as well as at neighboring JMP and Chabot) with dogs off leash. Was once chased by a pack of 4 pit bulls for a 1/4 mi, pedaling for my life.

Fact of the matter is there's way too many off leash dogs that shouldn't be - either because they are not controllable by command or there's just too many in a pack (not uncommon for there to be more than the allowable 6 in one pack). I'm all for allowing dogs their freedom to run and play, but owners need to be in full control (and within sight) of their dog if they're off leash.

Been thinking about velcro'ing some spray to my pack for a long time, maybe about time I do. What ways are folks carry/attaching a spray to their bike/body?

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Can somebody clarify that there is NO law against running your dog ON LEASH through the neighborhood? Of course, all other things being lawful, like the 6ft. leash law (in San Jose).
    When I was growing up in Sunnyvale from the 1970s to the 1990s there was a leash law in effect for walking your dog within city limits. Dunno about other cities around here though.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    When I was growing up in Sunnyvale from the 1970s to the 1990s there was a leash law in effect for walking your dog within city limits. Dunno about other cities around here though.
    I'm cool with the leash law, but I'm curious about running them alongside the bike WHILE RIDING.

I'm tired of the hoity toity old Almaden idiots trying to spew out made up laws.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Reason why I'm asking, is I ran my dogs this morning, one at a time, through my neighborhood. Some guy said something to me, but I didn't hear him. I'm leaning towards him trying to say that what I was doing was illegal - but I'm not sure (ironically, while he had his dog on a 10ft leash, which is actually against the law). If this was the case, this would be the second time somebody has tried to confront me. I was off the the right, in the street, in my empty neighborhood - completely safe.
    I would be surprised if that was illegal... That would not be prudent on a biking/hiking trail though. But on a street? Sounds fine..

...what is annoying is when some dog owners let them run around on a kids playground. Happens a lot around here. And then they act surprised when kids are scared and parents upset. "Oh, but my dog is so friendly". How the heck would one know - and how the heck would a kid know not to be scared when some stupid dog bigger them him jumps on him... I like dogs and everything, but some minimal common sense should be there..

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    When you’re ready to upgrade to the serious stuff, consider Kimber:
    That's what in my jersey pocket if I am alone in some unfamiliar territory. Hopefully will never have to use it..

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just as big as your Kimber spray, a little better (I sold this thing last year).

Dog bites rider at redwood park-naa.jpg

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Just as big as your Kimber spray, a little better (I sold this thing last year).
    Only illegal or extremely combersome for me to carry anywhere, and I will be much less likely to use if needed knowing of legal complications. For a dog or some random transient some pepper spray is probably good enough, and that should cover the majority of problems I can reasonably expect.... McMurdo FastFind Sattelite PLB in another pocket.. I have been unfortunate enough to know those two items could be useful.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast