Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Do you wear long pants when riding?

I am kinda new to mountain biking. On and off for the last few years and this year I am getting more serious into it. One question: do you wear long pants (or log running tights) on trails? Many of the trals along the Santa Cruz mountain ranges have poison oaks lining up on both sides. It's a bit hot to wear long pants when riding but it seems it's a lot better than getting rashes. What do you guys do?

Save Jesus
    yes, I wear a set of custom (foxwear) thin leg warmers even during the summer to protect against brush, bugs, and sunlight. It keeps my legs pale and beautiful.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hint hint, if u want to do it in style, try some downhill/4x
    Moto pants. Otherwise, try some longer socks. But whatever you do, dont wear thise knee cap high socks. That is too...

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    shorts and knee warmers, or manpris.

Sent by smoke signal.

Ariolimax columbianus
    Yep...especially in the dark, or cut off dickies....shants. I like me some knickers though.

mtbr member
    When it's cold out, I use runners pants. Works great and keeps me warm. If I get too warm, I roll them up a bit.
    You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

-Joe Louis

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Tight spandex shorts in any weather. Haters gonna hate

(In reality - shorts 95% of the time, it's not that cold in Bay Area. Or maybe my legs are just hairy enough to keep me well insulated)

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Hint hint, if u want to do it in style, try some downhill/4x
    Moto pants...
    Good for downhilling or maybe trail building, but those are way too bulky for any kind of trail riding.

I do most of my riding in the wee hours of the morning and it gets pretty damn cold in the winter.

For super cold, but dry, days I wear some Endura Singletrack trousers. I've tried a lot of riding pants and these are by far the best riding pants I've ever used.

For torrential rian - I have some Endura Venturi pants. Again, these aren't cheap, but they 1) breath 2) keep you bone dry.

otherwise I wear shorts with either knee or leg warmers.

mtbr member
    Long pants only in sub 40* weather and at night. Don't want to be seen in them, but when it's that cold hard to keep warm during a night ride. wear'em in daytime especially during summer..turn in your man card. Otherwise add a pink too too while your at it....
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride."

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    A ridin buddy wears moto pants, but mostly for DH/FR days.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride, she fights MMA.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    "When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants..." ~ Nacho Libre

I prefer running tights as a base layer if it's sub-40. For tweener temps I have roadie-style knee/arm warmers.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

PRETENDURO
    I should be during the wintertime, as itís been a bit cold lately. But I donít. Like an idiot. And yes, on occasion I do get poison oak on my legs, and also the ticks like to crawl around through my forested hairy legs.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you don't want poison oak ,there are a couple of products that can help one is called Ivy Block . Its a pre ride treatment, the other is Technu it is a after ride treatment. I did the Umqua river trail with Westren Sprirt ,a lot of oak . The guides provived both, they also have panty hose for those succure in there masculinity . I wear leg warmers or tights when it's cold.

mtbr member
    I've had good luck just riding in dockers when it's cold as long as it's not raining.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    If you don't want poison oak ,there are a couple of products that can help one is called Ivy Block . Its a pre ride treatment, the other is Technu it is a after ride treatment...
    ^this

Where I ride there is a ton of oak on narrow trails. I keep Tecnu in the car and rub a bit on my legs and arms pre-ride in oak season. Then use dawn dish liquid soap in the shower to remove any oils after the ride. Works a treat.

mtbr member
    I wear long tights when it is cold out, don't care how I look just how I perform. Couple those with some removable sleeves and maybe a vest and riding in most conditions is a joy. last week I was in a regular kit when I took a plunge off the trail. Without thinking too much about it I got on with my ride only to see the evidence of poison oak a day later. It has been a week and I have a half dozen spots where I must have made some contact. This was the last straw for me and I ordered a big ole' bottle of Tecnu. Post ride soap downs will be the norm for me moving forward.

AaGro I did not know it was useful as a pre-ride application as well. I am assuming you have had success with this. I may give it a try on my legs, hate Poison oak, ivy, etc...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hi James -
    Never can tell if it is superstition or not - it certainly doesn't say anything about prophylactic use on the bottle. A riding buddy got me started doing it about a year ago and the only bout of oak I've had since then was right at the knee after a fall where presumably I had scraped my knee across some oak on the ground - and it was a tiny easily managed swipe. I never use the Tecnu after - unless I actually have evidence of oak, then I use the Xtreme wash version - sort of like Tecnu but in an exfoliating soap. I do the same thing working in the bush around the house.
    -AG

mtbr member
    May 2013
    No, I usually do not wear long pants when I am riding. If it is cold out, like freezing, then maybe some jogging pants with a layer of UA, but generally shorts.

To mitigate the ivy risk I've used the pre-packaged wipes - insert_manufacturer_name_here - Poison Ivy Care Toxin Removal Cloths - they seem to work well. I have had a few run ins with overgrown trails and these have saved me every time. I can say that because I don't even have to touch the stuff... If I stare [at poison oak or ivy] too long I get it! I have used them before and after when I know I am riding through certain areas where its wall to wall and even mid-ride a couple of times. I always try to keep a couple in my 'back. They seem to be difficult to find at times.

I also know folks who have used sports wrap/tape and it works for them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    On trails where I know there's gonna be a lot of poison oak, bugs, or chances of me falling is high, I would wear cargo pants. It'll get hot so the night before I ride, I fill the camelback reservoir 50-60% with water, leave some air in there and lay it flat in the freezer with the cap facing up. Fill up water the next day. Having cold water helps with the comfort level.

mtbr member
    If it is cold I where tights

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Always wear shorts.

Axe
    Custom User Title

Quote Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
    If it is cold I where tights
    Tights are good for cougars.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Shorts even when it's 30 degrees out

mtbr member
    +1

In winterish/cold times I wear New Balance runners tights under my normal mtb getup which is mtb liner/baggies with loose long or shortsleeve jerseys...

Quote Originally Posted by LJ0913 View Post
    When it's cold out, I use runners pants. Works great and keeps me warm. If I get too warm, I roll them up a bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Tights are good for cougars.
    True, many of them do like looking at fit, younger guys...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast