Broken but on the mend

Do you treat you bike like a car.

I came across a post on my Instagram today with the op stating they needed a second bike because they were putting to many miles on there trail bike. This prompted a question in my mind. Lots of people who own cars get rid of them at certain milage points due to value loss or maintenance costs. Do you do the same with your bike(s)? Is there a milage cap you put on them? Do you have an amount of seasons you will ride them before looking at a new one?

I know for me I ride them until something new catches my eye. I have had bikes for fours seasons and I have had bikes for less then one. I don't feel you can put to many miles on a bike and think its almost silly to say i'm putting to many on a bike. Thats why we ride them isn't it.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    I think there's a point where replacing parts becomes more expensive than getting a new bike. It's a lot of miles to get there, and you don't replace everything at once, so it's not that obvious. But in the MTB world, technology/design has made things that are 10 years old seem outdated, and sometimes things that are five years old--while still fun--just aren't as capable as modern standards.

My 2008 FSR was a rad bike. I beat the daylights out of it, from the Northstar bike park to long grinds in the headlands. Eventually, the shock and fork both needed big services, the wheels weren't staying true, and the drivetrain was in need of replacement. Rather than spend about $1,500 putting it back to original equipment status, I upgraded to the Ibis HDR in 2013.

My HDR is still a rad bike, and I've modded it to accept a 160 fork and 150 rear travel with the 650b wheels, but even at just five years old, it can't compete with bikes that fit 2.5" tires, achieve the same travel without raising the bottom bracket, and will never have that slack of a headtube angle. At the same time, it's the only "big" bike that I know, and I'll ride it until everything starts breaking.

Commute bikes are another story. I plan on riding around the world a couple times on my steel frame before getting something else to ride to work.

PRETENDURO
    I put more care and consideration into my car than my bikes. I mean, the car doesn’t get to reside in the kitchen!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    If the person is getting a second bike instead of replacing the current bike it sounds to me like they want to spread out the usage so that 1 bike isn't constantly in need or repair or maintenance. With only 1 bike, a break or maintenance issue generally pops up when you least can afford it timing wise. In our case, Jeni is looking at a second bike because all of her coaching work is running her race bike into the ground and we're constantly fixing stuff. In the case of her rear wheel breaking spokes, she is down to borrowing a friend's bike (thanks Redhawk) for a women's clinic this weekend. Back in December she almost had to ride my bike for a clinic because we were waiting on her fork to come back from service and custom tuning.

In the case of replacing your current bike, I do it after a year or so before the value (interest in the bike) drops too low not because of the miles on it.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Good post, subscribed.

I assume most of us are bike enthusiasts here, just different levels. A lot of it depends on whether you're a car enthusiast or not. Aka... upgrades, maintain yourself...
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Honestly, my bikes are treated better than my cars!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    well, it is IN the garage.

my truck is outside.

i do however, wish i could afford new legs and a new heart..since i am putting way to many miles on them.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Eh, I probably treat the bike a bit better, but I definitely don't baby either. They're tools for fun, means to an end, so I don't really care how shiny they are. I'm not trying to abuse them, but I'm not terribly worried about scratches or signs of use.

The Tacoma gets its oil changes and tire rotations on schedule but that's about it (and only gets washed like every 4 months).

The Nomad gets washed about every 5 rides or so, or after a particularly muddy/dusty ride. Chain gets lubed when I start to see grime on the jockeys or it gets noisy. Linkages/headset/bottom bracket get cleaned & lubed when they start making noise. Suspension gets serviced when I start to notice slop or stiction.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    FS bike I treat about as good as my nicest car. I flog it plenty, but try to keep it clean and maintained, and don't take it out in the slop.

HT bike I treat like my beater truck, which I'm not sure if I've ever washed.
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Having multiple bikes is good for when one is down for the count and you're waiting for the crash replacement (sad trombone here - Ibis is backed up until March - but also happy trombone, since they are doing me a solid and upgrading me to the current model frame for super cheap). Particularly for bike commuting - if you come down to the garage and have a flat tire and need to be at work for a meeting, it's nice to just pull the backup bike off the rack and ride in.

mtbr member
    My bike and my car both have pretty high miles and lots of dings, and I take care of the greasy bits and don't worry about the rest. But I'm attached to them and would be sad to replace them. And yet I spend so much time on car sites and bike sites dreaming about new ones I'd jump at if I had the budget, lol

If I could replace my Impreza I'd want to keep it around to try rallycross. If I could replace my Inbred I'd want to keep it around to try singlespeed again.

Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    My bike and my car both have pretty high miles and lots of dings, and I take care of the greasy bits and don't worry about the rest. But I'm attached to them and would be sad to replace them. And yet I spend so much time on car sites and bike sites dreaming about new ones I'd jump at if I had the budget, lol

If I could replace my Impreza I'd want to keep it around to try rallycross. If I could replace my Inbred I'd want to keep it around to try singlespeed again.
    Both my truck and bike are pretty new and I still daydream about new ones despite loving them. Hmm Orbea Rallon, Ford Ranger Raptor. Mmmm lol

mtbr member
    I will flip my bike every couple of years so that I can get max resale value for it. The car is a larger and more long-term investment. I don't care about the latest and greatest in my car, as long as it works.

As far as splitting mileage between bikes, I've thinned the stable because I'd rather replace parts on a couple bikes than 3 or 4. Heresy to some, but mo' bikes mo' problems I say.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    For me its more to do with how quickly standards change in the industry. Hub, handle bar, gearing these are changing constantly so I cant upgrade without changing out a bunch of expensive parts just to support this new thing. It makes it worth buying a new bike instead of upgrading.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_510 View Post
    I will flip my bike every couple of years so that I can get max resale value for it. The car is a larger and more long-term investment. I don't care about the latest and greatest in my car, as long as it works.

i feel the same about both. i just dont like chasing the latest. i just ride my bike these days. i dont enjoy the spending of money at all in this department.

i did however see a Chevy Colorado ZR2 DIESEL that shook my resolve a bit.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    i did however see a Chevy Colorado ZR2 DIESEL that shook my resolve a bit.
    There is a long list of people who are in that club. lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    There is a long list of people who are in that club. lol
    i damn near accosted the guy! i saw him pulling into the grocery store parking lot. i left my wife with our groceries and approached the guy with all my questions.

he said he drives his FAST. he described it like a rocket. and despite his best efforts, he gets 25-26 on the open highway. 21-22 average. it is already lifted aggressively from the factory. it is way taller than my bone stock TAcoma TRD0ffroad. the interior is awesome. i told him, "if you see an Asian lady loading groceries by herself, rolling her eyes, that's probably my wife". his own wife started laughing at me.

i'm gonna get one!! (when my tacoma..gah..it is so reliable) i want a white one. i saw a white non diesel one yesterday..it had a camper shell. it was awesome too.!!!
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    i damn near accosted the guy! i saw him pulling into the grocery store parking lot. i left my wife with our groceries and approached the guy with all my questions.

he said he drives his FAST. he described it like a rocket. and despite his best efforts, he gets 25-26 on the open highway. 21-22 average. it is already lifted aggressively from the factory. it is way taller than my bone stock TAcoma TRD0ffroad. the interior is awesome. i told him, "if you see an Asian lady loading groceries by herself, rolling her eyes, that's probably my wife". his own wife started laughing at me.

i'm gonna get one!! (when my tacoma..gah..it is so reliable) i want a white one. i saw a white non diesel one yesterday..it had a camper shell. it was awesome too.!!!
    Haha yeah they are pretty awesome. Just know the diesel is actually slow, like Prius slow at a low low 10sec 0-60mph time vs. the v6 which does it in high 6 sec. Give or take .05sec. The benefit you get from the diesel is the stellar fuel economy of 22mpg vs. 17mpg avg. AND the diesel drives better in the foothills because it doesn't need to downshift as often or rev very high to maintain speeds. The drawback to the diesel is more complexity and less reliability due to the emissions equipment. At least going by what I see on Coloradoforums. I'd also avoid a used early ZR2 model. There seem to be some wonky quality control issues that don't occur on the other Coloardo/Canyon models. It's like they rushed to get the first ZR2s to the dealers and missed some things. All that being said, if I were buying now or in the near future I'd totally get the ZR2 diesel if I want max offroad ability. If I wanted to save some cash and do less hardcore offroad I'd get a 2017-2018 Canyon SLE 4x4 or Colorado Z71. Without lift and tire mods you will get 2-3mpg better than the ZR2. Not many dealers are discounting ZR2s yet and some are even charging a premium.

To offset the benefit of the diesel besides the $3800 upcharge over the V6 is this. For half the year diesel is more expensive than 87 octane.
    Name:  20180207_215815.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  148.9 KB

mtbr member
    It's a good analogy cause the second you roll a new one off the lot or out of the shop, they both lose a huge chunk of their value (although I think bikes even more so) - then you basically have to decide if you want to just keep it for a season or so and then try to sell it for a decent return toward something newer, or just run it in to the ground for a few more seasons and dump a bunch of money into the maintenance and then sale it for almost nothing and then start the cycle (no pun) all over!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I love my cars but my bike habit is N+1. Similar though, each one has it's own function.