mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Do you trailer your kids?

I have a nine month old son who I believe is just about ready for a Burely or some sort of trailer. My questions, do you think 9 months is too young and if you do trailer your kids, do you use the trailer off road? I really dont want to stick to just the bike paths and but at the same time dont think steep single track would be too good either. Im thinking fire road type rides. Thoughts?

the cool nerd
    We pulled our daughter in a Chariot at that age, but I would've never considered taking her enough off-road to bounce around ** You'll see when you try one, head and neck strength isn't nearly developed enough for jostling, and jostling comes easily..

** I'm amending this comment. at 10 months, we were comfortable enough with her int he Chariot that we pulled her around on some of the easier trails/jeep roads during our Moab road trip, so she was bouncing..
    Last edited by sportsman; 4 Days Ago at 09:28 AM.
    "The search for a perfect pint should take lifetime." M.Jackson

Ride bikes, not goats. Just good advice

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I vote for too young unless your kid is built like a tank. I'd wait until 1 when neck muscles are more developed. The other option is to get a trailer that has a baby seat attachment. They can be reclined in their baby seat. I don't know which brands allow that but I'm sure some do.

I'd keep on the paved stuff until they can sit upright by themselves and be comfortable in a helmet. Only you know when that is.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    My son and I over 4 years ago - he was 1 though

Do you trailer your kids?-t-trailer.jpg
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Recreational Terrorist
    I crate my kids when I go out for a ride. This way I can actually shred trails and not have to worry about them. Big bonus for no crying!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the advise everyone. My son is closer to 10 months then 9 but I can wait a few more months before starting to trailer him to be on the safe side. Any recommendations on trailers? Im torn between the Burely and the Chariot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Get the chariot. I did a lot of daddy daycare with a chariot when my son was under a year old. Their infant kit is bomber with the 4 point harness and dialed in suspension(adjustable for their weight). We were in Crested Butte at the time and 40 mile fireroad tours with my 9 month old were common. You are not going to hurt your kid in one of those if he's properly strapped in.

I flipped it once cross-county skiing on a steep slope. He was hanging in his harness giggling when I righted the ship.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have had a number of people say the same thing about the chariot. Seems like that is the one to get. Thanks for the recommendation.

mtbr member
    Yea, I got the Chariot with the adjustable suspension and the full inftant harness/sling. The little guy was in that thing with a helmet on at just under a year old and loved it. He's a little over 2 now and still loves bombing around in that thing. The adjustable suspension really helps with the jostling like people are talking about. Also, my kid is built like a tank so that allowed me to get him in there a little early than other people can.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    At 2 does your kid ride a strider now? My only hesitation on the whole trailer thing is that it is a big expense forsomething they may only use for a year or possibly less if they dont like it...seems like its that way with almost all the kid stuff though.

mtbr member
    Yea, he has a Specialized Hotwalk. He loves that thing...and his wheelbarrow, and his wagon, etc...

Even with all that, he still likes going in the trailer because he can't hit 30+mph on either of those things by himself. He knows that in the trailer with Dad he gets to go further and faster than he could ever imagine.

We were also planning on having more than just one kid so that makes the expense a little easier.

I have heard that the Chariots really hold their value so if you can find a deal on one I bet you could sell it a year or two later for almost the same as what you paid for it.

Track Junkie
    Last summer, I looked for a used Chariot, but couldn't find one. I was able to buy lightly-used Burly Solo (no suspension) for only $125. I believe the Burly Solo now comes with suspension on the newest models.

I'm very happy with the Burley Solo. Because it's designed for just one child at a time, it has a narrower stance than the popular double-trailers. Only complaint with the Solo is that the mounting-bar prevents sharp turns going right (think, tight switchbacks or U-Turns) because the rear tire contacts the trailer-bar on the side.

Wish I could have afforded/found a Solo or Chariot with suspension, but we run the wheels at a low PSI to absorb any small trail bumps.

My child was about 18-months old before I took him on anything rougher than neighborhood streets.
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

mtbr member
    Hey I've got a used Chariot that I'm willing to sell to a mtbr bro.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

Silence! I kill you!
    My youngest is 3 (4 in June) and he goes in the trailer often on the road. He doesnt like off road due to the bumps. We get about 6mi/day 4 days a week when he goes to the office with me in the morning while my wife works.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Poacher
    Sep 2010

Kid Catcher trailered kids, with fantastic results

Do you trailer your kids?-image.jpg
    Very scary

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

Do you trailer your kids?

Quote Originally Posted by SCTreeHugger View Post
    I crate my kids when I go out for a ride. This way I can actually shred trails and not have to worry about them. Big bonus for no crying!

Genius!

Track Junkie
    Start at 2:25 to see us ride faster than just climbing speeds. My son is 2 years old in the vid.

I get paid to ride shotgun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The highway patrol made me stop. Even with the extra ratchet straps, they still said no.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster616 View Post
    At 2 does your kid ride a strider now? My only hesitation on the whole trailer thing is that it is a big expense forsomething they may only use for a year or possibly less if they dont like it...seems like its that way with almost all the kid stuff though.
    I bought a 2 seater burley knowing we'd have a second kid, which we did. It stretches out the time that it remains useful. I also use it to carry cargo when I'm out with the kids. For example, ifwe ride near the beach I can use it for beach gear, etc. Lastly and most importantly it's the SAG and emergency shuttle. If my son, who is 4, is done riding but my daughter still wants to ride, I just load him and the bike up in the burley.

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster616 View Post
    I have a nine month old son who I believe is just about ready for a Burely or some sort of trailer. My questions, do you think 9 months is too young and if you do trailer your kids, do you use the trailer off road?
    Cranial development is still pretty soft at that age. Seems like toddler age, 18 months and up, would be better. But you know how parents can be.

I Burleyed my son at age 3 on the road, 5 miles, to school.
    I don't rattle.