mtbr member
    May 2009

Displaced Az rider looking for DH/FR in Crescent city

Wow , Im back in Crescent city after 15 years of living in Arizona (phoenix) I had some of the best dh/fr in the world and am totally addicted to it, problem is I have moved back to where I was born and lived for 39 years and as far as I can tell there is no Dh/fr anywhere to be found . Now I know that in an area as perfect for this sport as this is there has got to be some sort of movement , be it underground or what but I am jonesing and could use some direction

thanks in advance

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Elk Camp Ridge

I love Elk Camp, up by Gasquet. Super rocky and technical. There are various ways to access it, but all involve climbing. That area has massive potential - you should work with USFS to develop something! Or, start exploring. Wouldn't take much.

Really good, somewhat underground, DH scene down in Humboldt. Do some searching... PirateDH...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    thanks for the reply will check out the DH scene if I can find it looked the other day for rowdy creek but no luck will keep looking tho ,

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    1. from Crescent City, take Hwy 101 (north) to Smith River
    2. cross the small bridge just before Smith River and turn right (east) on Rowdy Creek Road
    3. you'll pass a gun club on the left (large grassy field) after about 1.5 miles where pavement ends, continue on gravel road

(first trailhead: 625' elevation)
    4. when you come to the first gated road on the left about another 3/4 mile, park there and walk in to find the lower section of trail. You'll see it almost immediately drop into the road from just above the gate on the right. Hike up the gravel road nearly to the bend and you'll see the trail drop off to the left. You'll want to hike it down to see where it connects back onto the main road. This will give you a chance to throw sticks and clear the trail.

(second trailhead: 1160' elevation)
    5. continue up the rowdy creek road another mile till you find a similar gate on the left, this is the "entry" to the top section of trail. You'll need to push up this steep drive and whenever you encounter any fork stay left. Again, hike the trail up from the bottom and you see exactly where it goes and you can check/clear it before riding.

Its super fun and an easy shuttle. Very neglected trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Elk Ridge and High Dome also, check them out.