Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    And a question for the BMXers: I've been riding my Mojo at the park, but thinking about taking the SS, with 32/20 gearing. Does that sound like a smart move? Thanks.
    Yup, that is way better as long as it's not a 29er. 32:16 is better but the rad kids don't even pedal once the bike gets going. Just slam that seat down and pump up the tires to 40 psi.

fc

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Sorry- yeah, it's a 26 (Tranny). I've noticed the lack of pedaling that the good kids/guys have. They don't waste too much energy! Thanks for the psi tip.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

swag ho Administrator
    That bike is perfect!!

Keep working on the small kids' area. That is the best part there, specially when there's no people.

It's really unfortunate that place is built wrong. There is so much opportunity in that space, specially if there was a pump track.

Lock your fork, pump up your tires and keep your body level as you roll through those jumps.

Team Chilidog!
    Just look for the older blonde-haired guy on a black Ibis that looks WAY out of his element! Hope to see ya out there.

Doug

And a question for the BMXers: I've been riding my Mojo at the park, but thinking about taking the SS, with 32/20 gearing. Does that sound like a smart move? Thanks.
    Any 26" (or smaller wheels) is perfect for there. You may see me on my DJ there. I'm still working the green section (what Francios calls the small kids area).

Not sure about the gearing though, I run my DJ as a 2x10 because the gears depend on my knees are feeling. The most pedaling I do is at the start where the table is to get some speed into the track.

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    That bike is perfect!!

Keep working on the small kids' area. That is the best part there, specially when there's no people.

It's really unfortunate that place is built wrong. There is so much opportunity in that space, specially if there was a pump track.

Lock your fork, pump up your tires and keep your body level as you roll through those jumps.
    IMO, the small kids area is the only area there that's built right. If you want to hear a rant about how badly that place is built, go to Calabazas Cyclery and get Rob on a tear. AFAIK, Calabazas was built by someone who does skate parks, which is why it's all messed up.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    DJ parts for sale

Lightly salted
    I've been riding my Mojo at the park, but thinking about taking the SS, with 32/20 gearing. Does that sound like a smart move? Thanks.
    I've never been to Calabasa's but, you might find 32/20 to be to slow to get enough speed for the jumps? I know at the Pleasnton Dirt jumps you have to pedal hard into the first jump or you wont have the momentun to clear it. An easy way to gear for dj/pump tracks is use half the teeth of the front chain ring and then adjust from there if needed. My last bike started at 32/16 then I changed it to 32/14 for a little more speed. I now run 28/13 on my new 26" Dj.

swag ho Administrator
    Traded for a bmx bike last night. Rode it with kid 3x today. Done.

BMX track and Pump Track Party - YouTube

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    He's rocking that bike! Nice flow and solid skills. Congrats Dad!

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fassn8 View Post
    He's rocking that bike! Nice flow and solid skills. Congrats Dad!
    Thanks for the bike Fassn8!! Rides so good!

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Yea, nice and smooth. It's good to see people riding bmx bikes these days. I wish I wasn't so tall or I'd ride one more often myself.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    Yea, nice and smooth. It's good to see people riding bmx bikes these days. I wish I wasn't so tall or I'd ride one more often myself.

I've seen many adult cyclists now in pump tracks and bmx parks as we watch our kids. Most of them are experienced mountain bikers and have no idea what they're doing when cornering or going over these rollers.

Think about all the learning and experience we all can gain with a backyard or neighborhood pump track and skills set.

ALL mountain bikers would benefit so much if they played around on the bike all the time.

The timing is good for neighborhood bike tracks and for mountain bike skills lessons.
    IPA will save America

SOG
    mtbr member
    Santa Clara PAL is another great option. I ride my dj bike in practice and have a great time with my boys who both race. I'm planning on getting a race bike to work on my skills and have some fun racing.

I drive my boys all over the Bay Area to ride different spots...polo grounds, epicenter pump track, cali, carlmont, shells, pleasanton bike park, livermore bmx & a couple of secret spots. I would love to see more pump tracks pop up but we do have a fair amount of spots if you're willing to drive.
    Last edited by SOG; 03-04-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4