yohyatt
    Mar 2009

Which direction around Red House/Sunflower/TRT from Rose to Chimney

Would like to do a ride from Mt Rose to Chimney beach and thinking about adding in the Red House Flume/ Sunflower Hill, and TRT loop into the ride.

Is there a preferred direct to do this loop? I'm looking for a way to add some climbing/miles other than just pedaling the road up from Chimney to the Rose/TRT trailhead.

mtbr member
    Rose-Red House-Sunflower-TRT-Flume-Chimney. Tunnel Creek down to Red house is steep and you don't want to climb it. Heading N. on TRT back to Tunnel Creek is a fun downhill.

mtbr member
    Don't miss the new Sunflower Singletrack. Great climb.

Rose, Sunflower Bypass and Marlette Peak at EveryTrail
    EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking in Nevada

mtbr dismember

What he said

Quote Originally Posted by nutballchamp View Post
    Rose-Red House-Sunflower-TRT-Flume-Chimney. Tunnel Creek down to Red house is steep and you don't want to climb it. Heading N. on TRT back to Tunnel Creek is a fun downhill.
    What he said is the best way to do this ride. Can't miss this sign.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Gotta love an informative, honest sign like that!

NedwannaB

A Loop?

Quote Originally Posted by yohyat View Post
    Would like to do a ride from Mt Rose to Chimney beach and thinking about adding in the Red House Flume/ Sunflower Hill, and TRT loop into the ride.

Is there a preferred direct to do this loop? I'm looking for a way to add some climbing/miles other than just pedaling the road up from Chimney to the Rose/TRT trailhead.
    As in starting out and ending back at Rose? Can't avoid a little road or climb, but once you do all of the above, you can ride from Chimney Beach back abit on 28, to the Old Ponderosa up Tunnel Creek (which isn't that horendous...) past Flume and get back on TRT heading north back to Tahoe Meadows. If you just ment the "loop" of Red House/Sunflower etc, then WW and nutballchamp have laid it out for you.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

yohyatt
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    As in starting out and ending back at Rose? Can't avoid a little road or climb, but once you do all of the above, you can ride from Chimney Beach back abit on 28, to the Old Ponderosa up Tunnel Creek (which isn't that horendous...) past Flume and get back on TRT heading north back to Tahoe Meadows. If you just ment the "loop" of Red House/Sunflower etc, then WW and nutballchamp have laid it out for you.
    yea jhust the sunflower loop. a whole loop returning to mt rose would be quite ambitious for me.

Is it possible to get any trail beta on this loop. example - the handy sign wherewolf posted.

It looks like it's a straight shot down the TRT from Rose to Red House, but is there a sign there at that intersection? sign to get back on the TRT after sunflower. etc. approximate mileage? Mtbikebill has a good description of the rose to chimney direct shot and only shows the "loop" is 9.3 miles and 2500ft of gain/loss - but doesn't indicate at what points the turns are.

Maybe a GPS file would help or something? Or someone looking to join on the ride

JB

Alternate Loop

If you're looking for a shorter loop than start/end at the meadows, try this:

Lower 431 trailhead (Lake side) to
    To Diamond Peak Rim
    To Tunnel Creek
    To TRT
    To Red House
    To Sunflower
    To Hobart Rd
    To Flume
    To Tunnel Creek
    To DP Rim
    To trailhead

Sounds long but actually shorter.

mtbr member
    I rode from Mt. Rose, TRT and dropped down the sketchy DH to Red House Flume and on the to Dam crossing. Keep going, looking for the new Sunflower Trail at a fire road junction (100 FT away from me it turns out!)

I made the "mistake" of taking the fire road to the left - to check out Hobarts Lake. Low on oxygen I decided to just keep going. I heard about a trail to Snow Valley Peak. Keep going on FR and double track. Double track vanishes. Keep going. Looks like a trail, keep going, what's the worst that could happen? Well, how about what seamed like two miles of HAB up to the Snow Valley Peak area, ugh!

I pushed most of the way up this valley to Snow Peak,

Finally got to the top and I could see Marlette Lake, whew!

Nice view, eh?

Anyway, now I HAVE TO go back and try out Sunflower Trail.

More Photos here.

Thx, George

NedwannaB
    I've heard about and have to try the DP section. I think main objective for OP is hitting Chimney Beach drop though.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr dismember

Gps

Here is GPS information for this ride. However, I went up the Sunflower Hill fire road since the bypass singletrack wasn't open then. Signs everywhere and easy to follow. New singletrack puts you right on to the TRT. Turn right to go up the Marlette Lake Overlook. Here is a map of the trails with mileages (but going up fire road, not new singletrack). Chimney Beach is not on this map. It starts at the top of the fireroad climb south of Marlette Lake after coming off The Flume. Three way intersection, go straight up a steep hill. Below is new singletrack (red) vs. old Sunflower Hill fireroad (red/yellow).

mtbr member
    Forgot to mention that I did look for the Chimney Beach DH trail when I dropped down from Snow Peak. I found it but decided to take the Flume back to Incline Village instead.

Snooping around near the Chimney Beach trailhead - at first I went left and bumped in to a polite but discouraging sign "please don't ride this trail..." so I doubled back and found the uphill start to the CB DH.

The first kicker look purty steep so I bailed and shot down to Marlette and the Flume.

Sooo, two sections I have to complete - Sunflower and Chimney Beach.
    Sometime this Fall, I hope.

GM