Poll: What did you pay

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Did you get a deal on your last new mountain bike?

Curious to level set on whether people are getting deals on new bikes, especially in this region.

By the way, poll is anonymous so nobody should be reluctant to respond "industry" for fear of being pestered for deals.

While direct-to-consumer is a good value no doubt, please still respond definitionally (i.e. "retail" even though perhaps less expensive than a bike store alternative, unless actually discounted)
    Last edited by akdmx; 07-12-2018 at 12:55 PM.

hopeless moron
    “Racer’s Special” markdown from $999 to $499, and from there sold the included rigid fork for $100.
    one by nine works just fine but single speed is all ya need
    BTW, it’s called “sarcasm”; you’re soaking in it!

mtbr member
    Riding in the South Bay and SC, everyone knows someone who knows someone that works in the bike industry. I would say that 80% of my riding buddies got their bikes/frames for a big discount (bigger than a bike shop could offer) or for free.

Completely unrelated, but check out this sexy 5010.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I scored my Yeti SB45 in October 2016 from Competitive Cyclist for a really good deal. Frame up custom build too. Active Junky was still rebating Yetis through CC at the time too.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Pro tip: Make a reasonable offer, deal with their response, embrace your new steed, then ride off into the sunset. We need to support LBS's or be prepared to lose them!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 07-11-2018 at 08:24 PM.
    Nice e-bike! (sorry about your penis)

The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member
    My newest bike came with the best discount ever:

Did you get a deal on your last new mountain bike?-jwsgetshistibisatmbosc.jpg

MBoSC and Ibis hooked me up with an amazing bike through their volunteer raffle.

This year they did it again (congrats Jessica!)

Maintenance season is only a few months away so put in your time, give back, and you could be next years lucky so-and-so. Even if you don't win a bike, you still win the gift of sweet sweet trails.

Moderator Moderator
    Quality of Deal = (price - used sale price)/#of rides. You will not know if you got a good deal until you're done with it!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Raleigh corporate code. 1399 to 899. Sporadic sale down to 855. Use active junky for 4 more percent rebate, plus 1% REI credit card rebate. Out the door $812. 42% off a full suspension plus bike with NX component.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Canfield Brothers Riot 140 Frame/DVO Topaz for $1000 from their website($2000 MSRP). That DVO Topaz is $500 MSRP. DVO Diamond Fork 160mm for $599 from Jenson ($1,000 MSRP). 10 ride old DERBY rims on DT SWISS 350 hubs for $700. I would have put 10 rides on those wheels in, well, 10 rides! The catch? I am rolling on NON boost bike. BFD.

hopeless moron
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Riding in the South Bay and SC, everyone knows someone who knows someone that works in the bike industry. I would say that 80% of my riding buddies got their bikes/frames for a big discount (bigger than a bike shop could offer) or for free.
    Must be nice to have friends like that, enjoy it. I have “friends” (LOL!) in the industry but they seem to all fellate one fella, an no other.
    one by nine works just fine but single speed is all ya need
    BTW, it’s called “sarcasm”; you’re soaking in it!

mtbr member
    I don't think much of Norcal would approve of my bike but I picked up a DB Release 5C for $3500 a few months ago during a sale. I also googled a coupon code to use on top of the sale price. I couldn't find a decently spec'd big name bike that I could get from an LBS for under $4000 with a carbon frame and parts spec that wouldn't be a compromise for me. I think at the time the regular price was $4400 and now it's at $4700 on their site.

mtbr member
    Once in the 90s I got a bike through KHS at cost through a friend of a friend. In 2001 I had a lbs build me a bike at retail pricing, minus maybe 50% of the parts they put on, which were new/old stock and heavily discounted. In July 2017 I bought a new 2016 model Intense at 40% off retail from someone else's lbs that also knows how to do internet sales.

IMHO, you don't have to pay retail. I shopped at four local bike shops. All wanted to sell me what they had in stock. Fair enough. Today's direct sales model and discount internet sales model is for people who know what they want. The lbs is for people who need to be recommended what to want. Room for both.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Must be nice to have friends like that, enjoy it. I have “friends” (LOL!) in the industry but they seem to all fellate one fella, an no other.
    I bought my last bike with zero hook-ups. But it was a direct sale Commencal for a great price. It’s my friends that are spoiled getting all their bikes straight from SC/Ibis/Spesh.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by b0bg View Post
    My newest bike came with the best discount ever:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jwsGetsHistIbisAtMbosc.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	1207716

MBoSC and Ibis hooked me up with an amazing bike through their volunteer raffle.

This year they did it again (congrats Jessica!)

Maintenance season is only a few months away so put in your time, give back, and you could be next years lucky so-and-so. Even if you don't win a bike, you still win the gift of sweet sweet trails.
    really, really amazing. And undermarketed too by Ibis. They're just doing good deeds and not hyping it too much these days.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I was certain that I'd have to online/direct order to get a deal but worked out a better package with my LBS. The little hole in the wall shops will always have more flexibility

Hella Olde
    Does YT count as a discount? I chose Full Retail but I got a carbon Capra 3 years ago for around half the going rate for comparable spec at the time. Still full retail I suppose. I did recently get a grassroots racer deal from DVO on fork and shock, however.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    really, really amazing. And undermarketed too by Ibis. They're just doing good deeds and not hyping it too much these days.
    Preach. Never mind that the bike is spectacularly fun to ride and maintenance has been a breeze. I tell everyone who'll listen: Ibis supports the trails you love.

Coming back around to the topic at hand, if you didn't get a discount on your last bike Joining the MBoSC Dig Days can get you a discount on your next one: Dig Days – Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Does YT count as a discount? I chose Full Retail but I got a carbon Capra 3 years ago for around half the going rate for comparable spec at the time. Still full retail I suppose. I did recently get a grassroots racer deal from DVO on fork and shock, however.
    I should have added an option for this. I guess I would call it retail. The DTC options are a great value. I've been checking in on the Canyon Spectral but it never seems to come back in stock.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by akdmx View Post
    I should have added an option for this. I guess I would call it retail. The DTC options are a great value. I've been checking in on the Canyon Spectral but it never seems to come back in stock.
    I was just thinking about that. Direct To Consumer definitely is a form of % off.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My last bike ~ 20% off. Bike before that was ~ 50% off...was fortunate to save so much; it was the end of year clearance and the last year of the 26" model before moving to 650B.

It's hard to pay full price for mid/high end bikes. I agree, DTC bikes count as discounted.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I prefer to support companies like yt and nukeproof that just give you a good price to start with. The busines model of overcharging and then making customers haggle for fair price is a big turn off for me.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    I was just thinking about that. Direct To Consumer definitely is a form of % off.
    Also, since I bought it from Reno there was no sales tax - saved about $400 I'm not against paying my taxes, but....

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    BC/CC leftover special was 42% off last Black Friday... the same time Active Junky was paying 12% cash back. Worked out to just around 50% off.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i got hosed.

my wife said the magic words, "go find a bike you like and i'll buy it".

you NEVER take words like that lightly. act now!! i chose my current ride..zero research. when i bought my bike, they literally rolled out the new model as i rolled out the old model hahah..i could have pushed and got the discount..zero doubt.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Inspector Gadget
    $1000 off a Carbon Rocky Altitude, it was an almost 2 year old XL floor model... being a Sasquatch finally paid off for once LOL
    It's the perfect time of year, Somewhere far away from here.

I'm usually hungry.
    This is precisely how I got my deal a couple of months ago, plus I had a little luck. My friend owns a small chain of bike shops in Arkansas, and offers me an awesome deal- brand new 2018 Rocky Mountain Altitude Carbon 50 for $3200 (retails $4200). This is an awesome deal, but get this: He tells an employee to box it up and ship it to me, but the guy accidentally ships me a Carbon 70 (retails $5649). I receive it, and let him know of the error. He says it would be a hassle to ship it back, and tells me to keep it! So I get a $5649 bike for $3200. Full carbon, GX Eagle, Stans Flow, XT brakes etc. Deal of the century?

mtbr member
    I bought a frame on the budget end of DTC (On One), so that felt like a deal though I paid full price

I built it 10 years ago and I haven't changed anything on the bike in 6 years besides standard wear items, cheap platforms and my skills. Having not spent any significant money on my bike in so long makes it really feel like a deal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_kman View Post
    This is precisely how I got my deal a couple of months ago, plus I had a little luck. My friend owns a small chain of bike shops in Arkansas, and offers me an awesome deal- brand new 2018 Rocky Mountain Altitude Carbon 50 for $3200 (retails $4200). This is an awesome deal, but get this: He tells an employee to box it up and ship it to me, but the guy accidentally ships me a Carbon 70 (retails $5649). I receive it, and let him know of the error. He says it would be a hassle to ship it back, and tells me to keep it! So I get a $5649 bike for $3200. Full carbon, GX Eagle, Stans Flow, XT brakes etc. Deal of the century?
    So then you shipped him a case of beer and a stack of ones for the strip club?
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

mtbr member

Completely unrelated, but check out this sexy 5010.
    Pretty sure I know the (former) owner of this 5010. Long shocked with gold custom decals is pretty recognizable.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    When I was shopping to get my wife's bike a local shop offered me last year's Trek Fuel SL for more than 50% off. The bike originally was $5100 and the shop offered it to me at $2399. So deals are to be had at the local level.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhoppermtb View Post
    When I was shopping to get my wife's bike a local shop offered me last year's Trek Fuel SL for more than 50% off. The bike originally was $5100 and the shop offered it to me at $2399. So deals are to be had at the local level.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Yep, I've heard ep on Trek bikes is insane compared to other bike brands.

orthonormal
    I got 40% off MSRP on my spot Rocker through the Corporate Passport program. Easily beat the discount Spot was offering through JensonUSA.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by roaringfork View Post
    I scored my Yeti SB45 in October 2016 from Competitive Cyclist for a really good deal. Frame up custom build too. Active Junky was still rebating Yetis through CC at the time too.
    I am calling BS, no one has ever bought a Yeti on sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Moderator
    Actually, I did get a pretty good deal on a new 2017 Trek Fuel for my daughter. 40% off.

Co Springs
    Looks like it came to 17% off, a Marin just over a year ago.
    I'm usually the customer who knows exactly what I want and not too flexible on shifting to another item or model just to get a deal. It can work against me for netting a deal but I am a value shopper to a degree so what I pay is somehow justifed in my mind.

I was surprised to get a bit over $200 off for a bike that was in pretty short supply around my home area. The one I brought home was an easy, quick deal but I soon decided to swap sizes and the store kept selling out the one they would get in and build for me. It took a few tries - lol.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My current mtb was from a member here who rode it twice, realized it was too small, and sold it cheap. It was an $8,100 build and I paid $5,000. Not sure if that counts.

My CX bike was a DTC brand.

My road bike was 20% off the frame via crash replacement, and I got ~20% off the bike it replaced when I bought that one.

Formerly dvo
    I rode the fact that my son worked at Fox straight into my custom Hightower. My trusty 26" Stumpy evo broke and with a little help from Trailhead Specialized stepped up and gave me a 2016 Stumpy frame as a replacement. I sold that to The Pros Closet for a number I'm sure they regret in hindsight. Got a deal on a Hightower frame, Ibis wheels, Fox suspension and random odds and ends. I kept track of the numbers and I only hope my luck continues on my next bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Did you get a deal on your last new mountain bike?-29r.jpg  

I'm the problem....

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I don’t buy complete bikes.

mtbr member
    Hard to quantify having bought YT. Got the CF blood red/white 27 Jeffsy. I budgeted $6k and paid $3,500. No ragrets - so far. YT's are pretty popular in the El Do right now. Last year I knew two dudes with Capra's. Now there are a dozen scattered around.

I tried waiting to support a local shop but I can't demo what they don't have. I would have needed to wait for a demo day for just one brand of three I was in the hunt for. Pivot and Yeti were on my list - I would have paid alot more but would have saved through this shop had I bought either. Still - it would have been $1k more than YT but with better suspension.

Happy with the Jeffsy. It's got pros and cons and i'm not entirely sold on E13 products...but it's still young, only been three months.

Did you get a deal on your last new mountain bike?-img_0887.jpg
    Last edited by dchester; 07-18-2018 at 08:12 AM. Reason: pic

Nobody
    Just purchased a Transition Sentinel Carbon X01. I am long time friends with the shop owner, so I got a deal... No need to advertise numbers, as this would just be bad form. Super stoked on my new bike. His shop is 1.5 hours away and the day I bought it, I did not have my truck with me, so I don't have it yet. He is planning to be down my way this week, so he will deliver it to my work.

I've already purchased a set of 30mm Santa Cruz Carbon wheels and will most likely throw a Carbon SC bar on it, as well.

Did you get a deal on your last new mountain bike?-img_0980.jpg
    Last edited by Shamis; 07-18-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Nice! That one's on my hardtail short list Please post up after you get a few rides on it.

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    Nice! That one's on my hardtail short list Please post up after you get a few rides on it.
    "hardtail" short list???
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Yep, wrong model. I was thinking of the Throttle. Carry on!

L1MEY
    Quote Originally Posted by prozach0215 View Post
    I prefer to support companies like yt and nukeproof that just give you a good price to start with. The busines model of overcharging and then making customers haggle for fair price is a big turn off for me.
    Kinda how I feel, too. I dread buying cars... as soon as they get their paper out and start doing that stupid thing where they divide the paper into 4 and scribble all over it, it just makes me want to get the hell out of there.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Ride like a girl!

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    It's been a long time since I bought a new mountain bike. I've built the last three.

in 2004, my Superlight was listed at $4200. It was a SID equipped, XTR brake and shifted carbon-blinged, wunderbike. My LBS was closing/selling and instead of discounting the hell out of the inventory to the buyer, the owner sold me the bike for $3K out the door (he paid the sales tax).

I still have that bike and ride it from time to time, when I feel the need to shift gears.
    "The maturity of an 8 year-old boy coupled with the insecurity of a teen aged girl."