Trail Gnome Moderator

DH World Championships: Cairns 2017

Who's it gonna be? Let's here your predictions...I'm gonna say Troy Brosnan or Sik Mick Hannah in the men's. Tahnee Seagrave or Tracey Hannah in the women's.

mtbr member
    Team Gwin 100%

mtbr member
    Anyone know why Sam Hill is running his dropper post?

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Lots of pedaling on the track

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    And you think he will be sitting down?
    He has the smallest bike and this is like a sprint compared to enduro stages.

Cheeseburgler
    It probably comes down to sponsorships or running a setup he is used to.

Ill be watching the races, stoked to not have to get up at some ridiculously early hour to watch live for once. Im rooting for sick mick and tahnee.

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    While I would love for Mik to win, he's a pedal monster like Gutierrez, I'm giving it to Minnaar. But I know Gwin will win. lol

jrm
    mtbr member
    Gwin & Seagrave or Hannah since Atherton withdrew this morning? Its live on Redbull TV ..XC today and DH Saturday. Hopefully Claudios course pre-ride video will be available today. Heres Verigers pre-ride video

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Gwin & Seagrave or Hannah since Atherton withdrew this morning? Its live on Redbull TV ..XC today and DH Saturday. Hopefully Claudios course pre-ride video will be available today. Heres Verigers pre-ride video

Rachel crashed in timed training and messed up her shoulder again.

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Rachel crashed in timed training and messed up her shoulder again.
    That sucks.

In that case I am going with Hannah for women's.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    -I believe Sam is running his EWS bike, hence the Dropper..... Single-Crown fork n' all.

GO Minaar!!
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

Hella Olde
    Rach: Broken collarbone. Sam Hill is running his EWS bike as he races it - dropper and single-crown. Cairns is a very tame track, but it's cool that he is. He says this will be his last DH ever and he only ran the 2017 Ft. Bill WC DH to qualify for this Worlds. It would be great if he won, along with both Hannas, and Moir, and Troy, and, and.......Minnaar will be going for it along with Hart and Bruni....it's all too much.
    Being a YT guy, however, I put my atheism aside and am rooting for Gwin who is just a monster this year, winning his 3rd consecutive Overall title and has never earned the rainbows.

I'm thinking Seagrave, Hannah, Nicole 1-2-3 in the womens.
    Men: Gwin, Minnaar, Moir

The last 3 down the track will be Gwin, Hart and finally Brosnan
    Hill starts first in the field of 75.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Rach: Broken collarbone. Sam Hill is running his EWS bike as he races it - dropper and single-crown. Cairns is a very tame track, but it's cool that he is. He says this will be his last DH ever and he only ran the 2017 Ft. Bill WC DH to qualify for this Worlds. It would be great if he won, along with both Hannas, and Moir, and Troy, and, and.......Minnaar will be going for it along with Hart and Bruni....it's all too much.
    Being a YT guy, however, I put my atheism aside and am rooting for Gwin who is just a monster this year, winning his 3rd consecutive Overall title and has never earned the rainbows.

I'm thinking Seagrave, Hannah, Nicole 1-2-3 in the womens.
    Men: Gwin, Minnaar, Moir

The last 3 down the track will be Gwin, Hart and finally Brosnan
    Hill starts first in the field of 75.
    Hill wasn't hitting Mick's Drop. At least not in front of cameras from what I saw.

Hella Olde
    Hill wasn't hitting Mick's Drop. At least not in front of cameras from what I saw.

Here ya go: https://www.instagram.com/p/BYwxbXvltp8/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Oh, sick!

May contain nuts
    Rave on Sam Hill...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrm
    mtbr member
    Noice.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Ol' Sammy's gonna be on the Hot-Seat fo' quite a while me thinks with that 75th start spot!!!
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

Hella Olde
    Oh, sick!
    Yeah - I had happened to come across that link to Nigel page's IG on PB or somewhere....

Not sure if it makes me feel better or worse about my adventures in single-crown (old, slow, various other disclaimers, etc.) racing. I mean, it can be done.......but I'm probably not the one who should be doing it.

- a man with only 1 bike.

Mammoth next weekend!

mtbr member
    Such a long long time to be gone
    and a short time to be there

May contain nuts
    ... rave on thy Holy fool
    Down through the weeks of ages
    In the moss borne dark dank pools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    cuz FULL Enduro
    Every trails a flow trail ifya would just learn how to ride-stop dumbing down the planet

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I have a huge crush on tracey and hope she wins. tawnee 2nd and miriam 3rd.

I hope mick wins but I think it will be gwin, minaar and mick.

Cant wait!!!!!

mtbr member
    I am confused, Tracey Hannah lost SOOOO much time in that crash and still almost won.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Yep, she was on a burner. A crash like that and you want to make sure your OK before getting back at it. By the looks of it, she might be hurt(judging by her actions). I hope not, and im glad she got on the podium. Crazy, absolutely crazy.

mtbr member
    I blame flat pedals for Hill losing so much time at the bottom.
    Such bad luck for Minnaar.
    Last edited by RBoardman; 1 Week Ago at 11:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    How is this seen from overseas?
    Here it's pretty common but the Canberra World Cup and World Champ rounds we had a decade ago were pretty bad for the riders having the pedal all that way at the bottom.
    I thought we would learn from our (UCI rules) mistakes and avoid having a DH round with epic pedals...

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Watched the whole thing live waiting for Minnaar and Gwin, only for Minnaar to get a flat and for the Red Bull feed to take a dump during Gwin's run! So frustrating.

Overall I thought it was a pretty boring DH course. What is with having a 800m flat sprint at the end? It's DH not XC!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I think the cross country race course was more technical overall......I would say the one place the UCI has been upping their game has been on the cross country side, the current crop of courses for the most part are way harder course to bike wise than at any time in the past.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    -I cannot disagree with either infotekt or Sean Allen!! If that was a Red Bull Production it would have been DIALED and shame on the UCI for that course. That was the weakest track out of all raced this season!

Trail Gnome Moderator
    I don't think anyone predicted the outcome of that race...Specialized is very happy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by infotekt View Post
    Watched the whole thing live waiting for Minnaar and Gwin, only for Minnaar to get a flat and for the Red Bull feed to take a dump during Gwin's run! So frustrating.

Overall I thought it was a pretty boring DH course. What is with having a 800m flat sprint at the end? It's DH not XC!
    As Warner pointed out a few times, that was NOT a RedBull feed, they outsourced to 3rd party or something. It was a notable downgrade, so kudos to Red Bull for kickin azz with their crew

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan View Post
    ....I would say the one place the UCI has been upping their game has been on the cross country side, the current crop of courses for the most part are way harder course...

Agreed, and very happy! That was the 1st xc raced I watched all year, and god damm! That catch fence on the big rock garden sure saved some folks from a medivac ride no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by DMFT View Post
    -...shame on the UCI for that course. That was the weakest track out of all raced this season!

Psh, you crazy?! Weak track? You see the ladies race? That track took out all the top runners. Granted it wasnt uber tech, but the dust made things look pretty hairy to race on. Granted, I agree it wasnt too exciting to watch, and would also prefer a track without such a huge sprint.

In '16, the top 20 doods were separated by 6.5, this years' Worlds it was 9.2. Thats a pretty big difference on a 3.5 min track....

With all the good thats come from RedBull covering the WC races, theres gunna be downsides.... Ive heard lots of complaints about course getting tamed down, becoming more bike parky, etc., supposedly in an effort to help ratings/view-ability, lookin to have sweeeet jumps and tight times...

I also think that being in the jungle really put a damper on coverage- you notice how every camera only had riders in frame for split second? You just cant get much footage per camera with so much vegetation.
    Every trails a flow trail ifya would just learn how to ride-stop dumbing down the planet

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanxj View Post
    Psh, you crazy?! Weak track? You see the ladies race? That track took out all the top runners. Granted it wasnt uber tech, but the dust made things look pretty hairy to race on. Granted, I agree it wasnt too exciting to watch, and would also prefer a track without such a huge sprint.
    Probably because they were tired from all the pedaling. Jk.

Any coverage without a Claudio course preview is no good.

mtbr member
    I don't think anyone predicted the outcome of that race...Specialized is very happy
    Meh...Definitely not World Cup DH worthy as a track. Admittedly I’m a Gwin homer but I think the way they handle the whole World Champ jersey deal is stupid. The guy who wins the overall series should get the jersey to wear the next year. The fact that somebody can go all season without winning, maybe not even be any contention for the title and then have ONE good run on the right day to get crowned World Champion is dumb.

I’m sure the Philadelphia Phillies wish major league baseball did this. They’d still have a shot at the title even though they are 34 games out of the lead. All they have to do is be on fire on the last day of the season. Silly nonsense.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2011 Niner Air 9 (de facto road bike)

mtbr member
    Probably because they were tired from all the pedaling. Jk.

Any coverage without a Claudio course preview is no good.
    Trudat, on both counts!

Did you watch the xc race tho? That saw some would be gnarly crashes due to: fatigue + rocks + highpostin + 2.1's = catch fence otb ftw

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    ... I think the way they handle the whole World Champ jersey deal is stupid. The guy who wins the overall series should get the jersey to wear the next year. The fact that somebody can go all season without winning, maybe not even be any contention for the title and then have ONE good run on the right day to get crowned World Champion is dumb.

I’m sure the Philadelphia Phillies wish major league baseball did this. They’d still have a shot at the title even though they are 34 games out of the lead. All they have to do is be on fire on the last day of the season. Silly nonsense.

Agreed. Miller was ranked 8th on the season, with 817 pts to Myriams 1885pts, yet is crowned world champ. WTF?!

Im sure the whole thing only exists as a self-aggrandizing event for the UCI

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Meh...Definitely not World Cup DH worthy as a track. Admittedly I’m a Gwin homer but I think the way they handle the whole World Champ jersey deal is stupid. The guy who wins the overall series should get the jersey to wear the next year. The fact that somebody can go all season without winning, maybe not even be any contention for the title and then have ONE good run on the right day to get crowned World Champion is dumb.

Worlds is the same every year...it's a one race format; do I think it's silly, yes.

SOG
    mtbr member
    I like the worlds format because it's a different race from anything else. My son raced for team USA in the BMX World Championships this summer and the intensity of this race surpasses anything he's ever raced. Like DH - BMX has an overall champion here in the states but the great thing about worlds it's 1 day winner take all. The competition raises the bar and people hang it out and the intensity is so much more amplified. It's a different level of mental strength & strategy that elevate your game to a new mental level. I love that you can have results that surprise and keep racing interesting - game on!

mtbr member