mtbr member

DH trails in bay area

hey what are some good DH technical trails between sacramento and san fransisco
    i know that rockville in fairfield is pretty fun but is there any other places

aka baycat
    Pacifica is probably one of the few spots.

newie
    Jan 2009
    most of the bay area stuff is illegal, there is some stuff up on a certain ridge in a certain east bay city that is pretty fun if you don't mind a hike.

my legs are sore
    I used to do the Hokey-Pokey but then I turned myself around.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Downhilling is illegal in the Bay Area. Only singlespeeds and 29ers allowed, but first ask yourself if you are cool enough to ride a 29er. Probably not, just get out of here. Go ride a horse, there are lots of sweet trails for that.
    "I think it's rad, when Balls beats Natural talent" - Shaun Palmer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick O'Shay
    ^ i def enjoyed leafing through that site. great photos

Fat Guy Riding
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnryder56
    Downhilling is illegal in the Bay Area. Only singlespeeds and 29ers allowed, but first ask yourself if you are cool enough to ride a 29er. Probably not, just get out of here. Go ride a horse, there are lots of sweet trails for that.
    Also, the Bay Area isn't for you if you're not into packing yourself into lycra as if you're a kielbasa, even if you're 75lbs overweight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer
    A bike company should come out with a bike named after Mikey. the Santa Cruz Vandeman. That would pisss him off to no end.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes, is behind a "you-see" that is located on the Side Of something. (NOT the one in Santa Cruz).

But too bad, this one is also illegal. Try going to msdhw.com or pink bike and ask.

mtbr member
    Funny how (DH) mountain biking was invented in the Bay Area, but it's basically an outlaw sport here now. It's no wonder why the US doesn't do well in the World Cup DH races...
    (aside from Gwin).

Cycling is basically looked down upon the the US, but in the rest of the world, it is a very
    noble activity and sport.... Maybe it has something to do with oil and the price of gas and
    big business or something...
    my B+W landscape photos ....www.f45.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It does suck that cycling is not well accepted as a sport in the US. I don't think we are doing ourselves any favors by how elitist some cyclists are about mtn biking in general. If we did more to include others, we might have the "Votes"/"Power" to get more access to trails and then we wouldn't have to worry about keeping people off our precious few trails.

Pacifica or Carlmont are the 2 DH/Freeride spots
    "I think it's rad, when Balls beats Natural talent" - Shaun Palmer

mtbr member
    i totally agree with all of you everyone in the bay area hates DH riders
    riding at rockville the other day i was getting nasty looks as i unloaded my DH bike from the truck
    i forgot about pacifica thats a little far but worth the drive yea?
    what about in and around auburn youd think thered be some DH trails there

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    We thought you meant between Sacramento and SF. Yes, there are DH trails in Auburn, the must famous being the Culvert/Confluence Trail (which can be shuttled), but if you go that far, may as well go to Downieville or Northstar and do it properly.

mtbr member
    yea i did. but after finding nothing in the bay area i figured id have to go a little farther
    and downieville and northstar are outa the question in winter but i do go up there in summer

is down to roll...
    What about Bass lake? I've never been there, but there used to be the 007 DH race until the main race organizer moved out of the area.

mtbr member
    Another vote for pacifica if your looking for steep rocky trails. Check out the Mammoth Bar OHV trails in Auburn, they are relatively short, but challenging, and a super quick shuttle. The convlugence trail is fun for sure, but not very hard.

The worst part about the bay area isn't that hikers and the like hate DH riders, it is that other mountain bikers hate DH riders. It is a shame that people can not accept or appreciate the different fascets of the sport.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just rode the 007 course this summer. If you're in the area hit it up, but it's not worth a long drive. Lots of pedaling up top, not very steep. Baby head rock garden in the middle, reminded me of Pauley Creek. Bottom section was fairly fun - a bit more fast and open but the "jumps" were mostly just dirt mounds to nowhere.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Mammoth!

Its not really 'downhill' per se, but Fir Trail in Corte Madera is great. I think it gives a little bit of the downhill feel, and drops 500 or so feet. If you take the hardest line at each option could be good practice perhaps. Manzanita trail similar, though not nearly as steep.

Also - haven't been there if 8 or more years so I don't know if its open or not, but at Stevens Creek if you go up (if a real downhill rig, you'll have to walk ) and up and up. Now, in one place, on the way down (sorry this is a lame description, but its been a while), you make a marked left turn on the fireroad - 90deg or so, and I think there may be a sign there. There is also an option to go straight, not a really obvious trail, but it is there. It is really really really steep down. For a long time. It lets you out in a different place near the parking lot - you have to go through picnik tables and stuff, whereas the main trial lets you out somewhere else. I don't know how to better describe it, but I can say 10 years ago that was some knarly donwhill! And I don't use the word knarly. Except in describing downhill trails. Note this is from memory, and maybe its not as knarly as I remember. And 10 years ago suspension wasn't what it is today.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Shhhhhhh!

I know a rad secret spot, not super technical BUT its fast and rides like a rollercoaster!

mtbr member
    holy thread resurrection batman!

I like mtn biking, too
    It's 2012... It must be the zombie-thread-pocolypse.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nieto View Post
    I know a rad secret spot, not super technical BUT its fast and rides like a rollercoaster!
    Go on...
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled