wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler

Devil Dirt Ride Postponed !

Just got an email that the race has been postponed... bummer.

Text of email
    ----------------------------

I am terribly sorry to let you know that we have to postpone the Devil Dirt Ride. We would, of course, like to offer you a full refund. Like you, we were really excited to have this event and unfortunately got ahead of ourselves. We have just learned that due to the State budget crisis, the environmental review of the event is taking longer than originally thought and will not be completed in time for the Devil Dirt Ride to take place on June 9th. I understand you must be disappointed and we are too. We will continue working on the process to make this event a reality.

We have been encouraged by your support of this event and hope that you will join us for the Devil Dirt Ride once it has been rescheduled. Our heartfelt apologies for postponing the Devil Dirt Ride. I will be sure to let you know as soon as we have a confirmed date with all agencies.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Link: Save Mount Diablo
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Was there an environmental review required for the Diablo Trails Challenge (running race)?

Will an environmental review be required for the Trail Challenge (hiking)? And all the other organized hikes that, say, the Sierra Club puts on?

Will an environmental reveiw be required for the Diablo Trail Endurance Ride (equestrian)?

Sorry to hear this is postponed. I hope it's not because another user group is holding bike events to a higher standard.

It's about showing up.
    I share Czar Chasm's concerns. That said, we are far too numerous to be set aside any more. Also, we can bring a bunch of grey-haired gnarly old dudes to any discussion with any other user group. And don't think we won't.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Devil Dirt Ride Postponed !-rock20121120_rockville_6509e.jpg  

I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Sick, Henry on them!
    You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

-Joe Louis

mtbr member
    Yeah, I took that to mean that other user groups complained so now they have postponed it indefinitely.

Looks like I may be raiding Sherwood Peak instead.
    Are we putting air in the tires today?

enjoying the scenery
    An update to the Save Mt. Diablo Facebook/website has finally confirmed this event has been canceled.

Cancelled
    We are sorry to let you know that we will not be able to hold the Devil Dirt Ride as planned. California State Parks has evaluated the combined impacts of the event as it was proposed on trails and wildlife and unfortunately we cannot move forward with it.
    Also in Facebook
    Devil Dirt Ride, we don't believe they are anti-mountain bike. Unfortunately, there were several Alameda whipsnake deaths in the area and protecting the federally listed species is in the forefront. We are very sorry about the cancellation.
    I was already registered for MM's Raid on Sherwood Peak or I would have registered for this event, but I had a suspicion it would not happen. It was very poor planning (also addressed in Facebook) to even announce the event prior to this review by the State Parks. But again my suspicious nature reads this as they did receive local approval for the event as they a) announced the event b) were accepting paid registrations for the event c) had a cool shirt commissioned for the event. Then with all that in place - something happened. I am sure there is an interesting story here.

I have been riding that mountain for while and cannot recall ever seeing a Whipsnake; Rattlesnakes, other snakes, those beetles, a mountain lion, hawks, falcons and eagles, cows, oh and few zillion ground squirrels. But not one of these elusive fellows:

As was mentioned previously by Czar Chasm the running and horesy events happen yearly without a hitch. Save Mt. Diablo does a worthy job of halting rampant development and preserving the mountain and its surroundings. I think the Devil Dirt ride hit usual wall of opposition.
    2010 Niner EMD9
    2005 RM ETSX-50
    2002 Trek 8500
    1997 Marin Bear Valley
    1993 Miyata Elevation 2000

mtbr member
    They sent out an email last week to those of us that registered offering a refund, or giving you the opportunity to transfer the money to the Diablo Challenge or donate to Save Mt Diablo. I think they had support of the State Park, but were blindsided by other opposition to the race. At least the SMD leadership is open to the idea of sharing the park with mountain bikes.
    Are we putting air in the tires today?

It's about showing up.
    The Diablo community is not ready for this kind of Mtb exposure, plain and simple. Playing the Whipsnake card is a screen.

Somewhere lost in the mists of time, an Alameda Whipsnake was found dead in the middle of a fire road. It is believed to have happened in Black Diamond Regional Park. No one can identify when this happened or who actually found the snake but that person determined that the snake was killed by a bicycle tire. There is no record of this event in any EBRPD file cabinet.

The event seems to resonate with truth for those who find it palatable. That qualifies it as mythic in classical terms. And this belief is enough to be a tangible factor in access decisions. And, as in theoretical terms the entirety of unpaved/undeveloped Alameda and Contra Costa county is Alameda Whipsnake habitat... this card is played as needed to block access. And they don't even have to show the snake carcass.

Nice of SMD to offer you the chance to donate you entrance fee to them.
    I don't rattle.