Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Urban Ninja

Demo: Tractor Trail? - Ride Report.

is it still down?? I want to do an all Demo ride and I like to ride up Tractor so just wondering if it is still being logged or whatever they shut it down for some time ago. Thanks.
    For Sale: EPIC

Send it!

www.rayscyclebicycles.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeng View Post
    is it still down?? I want to do an all Demo ride and I like to ride up Tractor so just wondering if it is still being logged or whatever they shut it down for some time ago. Thanks.
    My understanding is that Tractor as you knew it is done forever. Whatever replaces it in the future will probably be a pretty considerable reroute.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    For an "All Demo" you can do:
    Corral and climb back up Sulfur Springs and take the Saw Pit loop. Then, get to the base of Sulfur Springs from Hilm and climb it again and take Braille.

I want to dub this the Demo Triple Crown.

I miss Tractor too. I was a good trail not to use brakes on.................
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

tastes like chicken
    Like a phoenix, Tractor Trail will be reborn into a better, more flow-y-er beast. Perhaps this winter if we can line up the resources...

mtbr member
    Tractor is still closed. I think all the redwood has been shipped but there is still some hardwood harvesting and other close up operations happening.

mtbr member
    We must be patient with SDF as in fact the mission of the place is to do logging (more sustainable techniques than average...but logging nontheeless). Still, one is left with the feeling with Tractor Trail that the pooch has been screwed... How is it that the MTB community must now find the financing to re-build the trail that was snuffed out by the big yellow log taxis? Wasn't it part of the bid for the logging operation to provide funds to re-build the trail? If not, why not?

I know it's the deal we've got to work with...Demo is called Demo Forest for a reason, but still it does feel that things really didn't work out right in terms of the 2-year(?) Tractor Trail tribulation.

Braille is the most famous, but Demo really has very few trails, and losing one is really a big deal.

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by primordial View Post
    We must be patient with SDF as in fact the mission of the place is to do logging (more sustainable techniques than average...but logging nontheeless). Still, one is left with the feeling with Tractor Trail that the pooch has been screwed... How is it that the MTB community must now find the financing to re-build the trail that was snuffed out by the big yellow log taxis? Wasn't it part of the bid for the logging operation to provide funds to re-build the trail? If not, why not?

I know it's the deal we've got to work with...Demo is called Demo Forest for a reason, but still it does feel that things really didn't work out right in terms of the 2-year(?) Tractor Trail tribulation.

Braille is the most famous, but Demo really has very few trails, and losing one is really a big deal.
    I don't know the answers to those questions - good ones for sure. But I do know that loggers don't know how to build fun mountain biking trails, and I assume the "resources" that Mr. Toad is speaking of means, human resources - i.e. time - to design and build the trail to all of our riding benefit.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

swag ho Administrator
    I did the ride with Jeng and company. It was incredible. Three crashes and two broken bikes. There was a lot of riding and a lot of ayer time.

Jeng had a full speed crash as he smacked into a pile of logs. He needed a few minutes to relax but then he led the charge again.

We met up with a few folks then everybody started cramping. I told them about all the Russian River beer in my car and everyone made it back in one piece.

fc
    Last edited by francois; 09-04-2012 at 08:50 AM.

swag ho Administrator
    Olympus OM-D photos.

It's nice to have a camera that can capture the fast action in that dark forest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Demo: Tractor Trail? - Ride Report.-p9030272.jpg  

Demo: Tractor Trail? - Ride Report.-p9030273.jpg  

Demo: Tractor Trail? - Ride Report.-p9030281.jpg  

Demo: Tractor Trail? - Ride Report.-p9030282.jpg  

Demo: Tractor Trail? - Ride Report.-p9030284.jpg  

Demo: Tractor Trail? - Ride Report.-p9030295.jpg  

Demo: Tractor Trail? - Ride Report.-p9030300.jpg  

Demo: Tractor Trail? - Ride Report.-p9030308.jpg  

Demo: Tractor Trail? - Ride Report.-p9030309.jpg  

Demo: Tractor Trail? - Ride Report.-p9030314.jpg  

Last edited by francois; 09-04-2012 at 08:16 AM.

swag ho Administrator
    photos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Demo: Tractor Trail? - Ride Report.-p9030318.jpg  

Demo: Tractor Trail? - Ride Report.-p9030325.jpg  

Demo: Tractor Trail? - Ride Report.-p9030330.jpg  

Demo: Tractor Trail? - Ride Report.-p9030331.jpg  

Demo: Tractor Trail? - Ride Report.-p9030340.jpg  

Demo: Tractor Trail? - Ride Report.-p9030341.jpg  

Demo: Tractor Trail? - Ride Report.-p9030345.jpg  

Demo: Tractor Trail? - Ride Report.-p9030347.jpg  

Demo: Tractor Trail? - Ride Report.-p9030348.jpg  

Demo: Tractor Trail? - Ride Report.-p9030351.jpg  

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    There's so much potential out at Demo, but no trail is worth having a tree fall on you. Every time I'm out there and hear creaking I get nervous.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

aka dan51
    Personally, I am glad tractor is gone and am very excited about what we can build in its place. Want to make it rad? Then show up for trailwork days.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    There's so much potential out at Demo, but no trail is worth having a tree fall on you. Every time I'm out there and hear creaking I get nervous.
    For realzzzzzz?

fc

swag ho Administrator
    Demo is a little beat right now but it is full suspension heaven. Braille is choppy and dusty. Corral is good. But Saw Pit is in amazing shape. That trail is dust proof and rain proof. So awesome.

I was super confident at Demo even in the dust. Big tires and better cornering is cool. Dropper post is a huge plus there!!

fc

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    For realzzzzzz?

fc
    Yes, now mind you this is not on the trails.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Demo is a little beat right now but it is full suspension heaven. Braille is choppy and dusty. Corral is good. But Saw Pit is in amazing shape. That trail is dust proof and rain proof. So awesome.

I was super confident at Demo even in the dust. Big tires and better cornering is cool. Dropper post is a huge plus there!!

fc

dude, my friend and i hit braille for the first time yesterday (before, we had been to demo 6 or 7 times, but did the corral--> sulphur springs--> sawpit loop). holy shiet! he rode 99% of it on his 96 bridgestone MB-1 (w/ girvin flexstem)---i ended up walking some of the techie stuff after those first 3 steep sections in sequence. i dunno, after blasting those, i was so high i kinda lost focus on the rest of the trail!
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
    dude, my friend and i hit braille for the first time yesterday (before, we had been to demo 6 or 7 times, but did the corral--> sulphur springs--> sawpit loop). holy shiet! he rode 99% of it on his 96 bridgestone MB-1 (w/ girvin flexstem)---i ended up walking some of the techie stuff after those first 3 steep sections in sequence. i dunno, after blasting those, i was so high i kinda lost focus on the rest of the trail!
    I think most of us forget about the true trail treasure we have here which is Demo Forest.

fc

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    Yes, now mind you this is not on the trails.
    Ok.... what exactly are you taking about. Curious now.

fc

Urban Ninja
    I did the ride with Jeng and company. It was incredible. Three crashes and two broken bikes. There was a lot of riding and a lot of ayer time.

Jeng had a full speed crash as he smacked into a pile of logs. He needed a few minutes to relax but then he led the charge again.
    You should see my eye this morning Thanks for the photo's and BEER. Good ridin witcha
    For Sale: EPIC

Send it!

www.rayscyclebicycles.com

swag ho Administrator
    You should see my eye this morning Thanks for the photo's and BEER. Good ridin witcha
    Let's see it dude. Does it look like you went 15 rounds with a pile of logs?

Riding with you, Jason Van Horne and Michael Fine is a lesson in cornering braaap!

fc

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtoadsc View Post
    Like a phoenix, Tractor Trail will be reborn into a better, more flow-y-er beast. Perhaps this winter if we can line up the resources...
    Do you know if the logging is already done? I mean I'm excited to build a new trail but I guess we'd still have to wait until they open it up for building. Hoping that we can start as soon as the first rain falls.

Erik

ask
    user

3 Days... 3 Parks...

That looks like it was a good group ride @ Demo yesterday... nice pics! I was out @ Demo Saturday morning. Hardly anyone out there. I expected it to be more crowded on a holiday weekend.

Amazing weekend of riding for me... I finally got a chance to ride Skeggs, Demo, and Annadel back to back... 3 days... 3 parks. Capped everything off with a visit to RRB for some Pliny and a day off the bike to swim with my kids.

Friday - crammed 4 of my favorite DHs into a Skeggs loop after work
    Saturday - Early morning Demo loop... everything except Corral.
    Sunday - 26 miles or so @ Annadel. Hot temps and fun rocky trail goodness.

Have not had a chance to grab any stills off my GoPro yet... so just a shot of a post-Annadel my victory beer:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    I miss Tractor too. I was a good trail not to use brakes on.................
    Hell yea fast & furious lot of good times on that one, it will be missed.

FC, there's a few gems in that batch of photo's
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post

Amazing weekend of riding for me... I finally got a chance to ride Skeggs, Demo, and Annadel back to back... 3 days... 3 parks. Capped everything off with a visit to RRB for some Pliny and a day off the bike to swim with my kids.
    Now that is a weekend.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Ok.... what exactly are you taking about. Curious now.

fc
    Just out in the forest, I've seen the pink tags for logging.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast