Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Demon Cleaner
    Next time I want to see Mike Fine's Strava times on the fun sections. Keep him railing...
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member

Gentlemen... Start your engines. Tractor is ON

Tractor Trail is now officially open as mrtoadsc points out (Soquel Demonstration Forest Trail Work?)

Please note that even though work in the area is still not done, we want to re-open the road and trail for users. Our contractors did not finish all the hardwood harvesting and road work planned so we will be going into a 3rd year of operations. There may be some brief trail closures if necessary to protect public safety so look for signs at the parking lot and ellsewhere around the Forest. If you encounter an active operation on or adjacent to Tractor Trail, please stay on the road until sommeone directs you around the area.

Drew, Mark and many more dedicated folks from MBOSC and Stewards of Soquel Forest are working with us to design a new single track trail that will generally parallel Tractor Trail. Trailwork dates and sign-ups will be posted at trailworkers.com
    Soquel State Forest
    Please don't use the "P" word.
    We're not a park!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Structure View Post
    Next time I want to see Mike Fine's Strava times on the fun sections. Keep him railing...
    Mike sure is showing his age
    Can he still tear it up?

On a side note, I'm looking forward to a new tractor route.

mtbr member

Cool

Time for the "orange tractor" to do a tractor test run ? Remember like in golf to ... replace your divot LP!
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Tractor has always been a step child trail to ride back up to braille after saw pit. Is the new single track meant for more mellow up and down or is it loaded with features and better as down?

swag ho Administrator
    This is a reminder that the road to Demo is blocked by a mudslide. It's expected to be cleared on Monday, Jan 7

Highland Way mudslide expected to be cleared Monday - Santa Cruz Sentinel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Tractor has always been a step child trail to ride back up to braille after saw pit. Is the new single track meant for more mellow up and down or is it loaded with features and better as down?
    I have a feeling Tractor is more of a road right now due to it just being logged but what it becomes in the future is up to those who get involved and do trail work.

mtbr member
    As lame as this will sound, I say keep Tractor Newbie. Makes for a better climb and keeps rookies off harder trails and thus less EMT work. My $.02.
    I'm not sure how this works.

just another bleepin SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    As lame as this will sound, I say keep Tractor Newbie. Makes for a better climb and keeps rookies off harder trails and thus less EMT work. My $.02.
    I am with you. Not Midpen 4' wide and flat beginner, but something easier relative to the other trails in the Demo. At the very least, each stunt needs an obvious go around.

Truthfully, I used Tractor much more as an uphill than downhill. Made for a good loop to hammer my legs into submission of down Sawpit, up Tractor, down Braille.
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    Business: www.calkayakermag.com
    Personal: www.singlespeed.org
    自転車が好きだよ

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Make it suuuuuper twisty and bermy. Kid and spouse friendly but really awesome for cornering and high speed handling too.

Make it miserable for climbing (super long) so it is not relegated to climbing.

Give it option lines for skills. Make it a skills trail.

The problem with the old tractor was too many darn straightaways.

fc

tastes like chicken

Some thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Drew (MBOSC trail guru) has been sharing his thoughts on this and have been expressing them with Angela (forest manager).

We want to create a narrow low grade (< 12%) flow trail. This could be a directional one way (down) trail and it would probably be like a pump track with some nice berms. It will be accessible for beginner/intermediate but also fun for advanced riders. Our objectives is to create a fun and environmentally sustainable trail. Come work with us on the Emma McCrary Trail in Pogonip to see how we apply these ideas to new trail design. Emma's trail is a 4 ft wide multi-use trail. Perhaps we can build the new trail as 2 ft wide.

The original tractor would be maintained as a fire road for access and uphill riding. We hope we can come up with a trail plan to implement this soon.

None of these comments constitutes an actual plan but there is buy in for these ideas.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtoadsc View Post
    Drew (MBOSC trail guru) has been sharing his thoughts on this and have been expressing them with Angela (forest manager).

We want to create a narrow low grade (< 12%) flow trail. This could be a directional one way (down) trail and it would probably be like a pump track with some nice berms. It will be accessible for beginner/intermediate but also fun for advanced riders. Our objectives is to create a fun and environmentally sustainable trail. Come work with us on the Emma McCrary Trail in Pogonip to see how we apply these ideas to new trail design. Emma's trail is a 4 ft wide multi-use trail. Perhaps we can build the new trail as 2 ft wide.

The original tractor would be maintained as a fire road for access and uphill riding. We hope we can come up with a trail plan to implement this soon.

None of these comments constitutes an actual plan but there is buy in for these ideas.

AllRide Edit of Whoops Trail in Bend, Or from Kirt Voreis on Vimeo.

YEAH!

Some elements of the the Bend, OR, Whoops Trail would be good. The first time I went on it, I got zero inches of launch elevation. But as I got to know it, it got better. This trail drops all of 600 feet but it is so long with very little braking.

AllRide Edit of Whoops Trail in Bend, Or on Vimeo

fc

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Please keep the nice log jumps/drops @ the top. I have been wanting to hit those and have been waiting for this trail to open....they look pretty fun to me!!!

mtbr member
    I second the idea of a flowy trail with berms and when I think of berms I think of this:

(the video has great riding and trails throughout, but skip to 4:30 for the picture perfect berms)

I also think about how rutted and crappy the berms will become unless we apply more effort to promote trailwork at Demo. I'm ready to earn some sweat equity to make this happen.

Blargen
    Cant a brother get a table top around here...
    Last edited by PACS; 01-06-2013 at 03:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Yep I rode it yesterday and confirmed..... It's a tank road now.
    Click That Sh*t

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Make it suuuuuper twisty and bermy. Kid and spouse friendly but really awesome for cornering and high speed handling too.

Make it miserable for climbing (super long) so it is not relegated to climbing.

Give it option lines for skills. Make it a skills trail.

The problem with the old tractor was too many darn straightaways.

fc
    Yes, Yes, and Yes.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    I loved that trail as both up and down. Some combo of either would be ideal. And yes, I've been riding at SD for well beyond a decade.....I'd be happy to give back here around trail work. Such a special area.
    Click That Sh*t

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I like the beginner/intermediate trail idea kind of like it was before.

I always climbed "Suffer" Springs instead of going up tractor to get to Braille. However, I don't think a one way designation is really needed though.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I for one would like the option of taking Tractor back up after Sawpit to Braille.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    I for one would like the option of taking Tractor back up after Sawpit to Braille.
    Careful what you wish for...it's a *****!
    I'm not sure how this works.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2