Thread: Demo musings

Paper or plastic?

Demo musings

The flow trail is in amazing shape right now. Go get some. Thanks to the volunteers for their hard work.

Why do people climb up ridge? Saw a dozen people riding back to the overlook. Never saw that before. Glad I had my timber bell, not that I am any fast though.

I am cool with the shuttle but it would be nice if the driver took it easy on the way down. Eating dust and diesel fumes while climbing for 200 yards kinda sucks.

Flow is amazing. Go get it.

Oh and calfire was in the parking lot around 12:20. Hope all is well.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Right on. Got you got out there. It is a special February indeed.
    IPA will save America

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Why do people climb up ridge? Saw a dozen people riding back to the overlook. Never saw that before.

That's weird. They were probably first-timers/lost. At least they weren't climbing the flow trail like people considered before it opened!
    Nice e-bike! (sorry about your penis)

The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    That's weird. They were probably first-timers/lost. At least they weren't climbing the flow trail like people considered before it opened!
    i climb up ridge after climbing up suffer springs to get back to the top since i ride from the bottom of nisene. what part of ridge did you see the riders?

i always yield to DH on ridge though.
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Yeah, I know a few folks do that--or go up Corral--but 12 people (a group?) on a busy weekend? Odd.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Encountering riders going up Ridge, up Braille and up Flow happens but it is very rare. I discourage it.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    First time shuttle guys that took a wrong turn or locals who are tired of the same ole loop?
    The only easy day was yesterday.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    First time shuttle guys that took a wrong turn or locals who are tired of the same ole loop?
    Ahhh, this is probably the answer. Shuttle van clients headed back to Aptos. They do one Demo lap and then have to head back to the top. The best way is to around through the lot. But the direct way is going up Ridge trail all the way.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I always assume people climb those trails because the easiest climbing KOM can be gained on trails no one else care to ride up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Mackenzie View Post
    I always assume people climb those trails because the easiest climbing KOM can be gained on trails no one else care to ride up.
    I often sprint up steep trails like Braille as fast as I can so that I can get the climbing KOM and then I post it on the social medias - then I turn around and it's so much fun to pretend like I'm powder skiing in moguls on the way down and sending sweet spread eagles off the drops - I can also add sound effects along the way too! So much fun and I just send the stoke all the riders I see!

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post
    i climb up ridge after climbing up suffer springs to get back to the top since i ride from the bottom of nisene. what part of ridge did you see the riders?

i always yield to DH on ridge though.
    Saw them between the overlook and top of corral. They were cool and yielding but it seems slightly dangerous.

Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Wēk Ss
    seen em in the past, always seemed odd.

any news on sawpit? i recall it was logged recently, still logging? what's the "recovery" plan?

default title
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    any news on sawpit? i recall it was logged recently, still logging? what's the "recovery" plan?
    I was able to (re) track down the name Meridian THP and number 1-15-139-SCR for this harvest but I'm not finding a status of it. You could ask on their facebook page if you have an account https://www.facebook.com/CALFIRESoquel/
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

mtbr member
    What's the game plan if there's an injury at Demo (or anywhere with no cell reception)? My buddy went down on Flow the other day and broke his clavicle. Tried calling Cal Fire but calls/text wouldn't go through. He was a savage and rode it out with 1 hand to Tractor and down to Hihn's, then walked back to the parking lot.

If he hadn't been able to ride/walk several miles, I'm not sure what I would have done. I suppose I could have ridden back and found cell signal, but I wouldn't be all that excited to leave an injured rider on the trail alone for an hour or more, especially if he had been more seriously hurt.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ That's one of the reasons I got Verizon. I haven't tried it in Demo, but in general you get better reception. The Flow trail is infamous for taking people out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    In general, to get cell reception, go up. Applies at Demo as well--there's usually coverage on the ridge. Also, look at your phone in a few spots (e.g. before you leave the parking lot) to see if you're covered. Also 911 should work if any carrier has coverage ('emergency calls only').

Otherwise... I think the answer is self-rescue (which you did), rely on others to call for help, or carry a satellite phone/tracker/etc.

Is there even a land line phone nearby? Maybe at one of the camps on Highland Way? It's a long drive even to the fire station.

It's a 'mountain' sport, you're in the mountains, be prepared!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Garmin inReach - pretty much must have anywhere in Bay Area.