Results 1 to 37 of 37
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drew p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    296

    Demo Forest Trailwork Schedule

    Howdy mountain bikers,

    We have scheduled this season's trailwork at the Soquel Demonstration Forest. More dates may be added soon.

    Saturday, January 26th
    Saturday, February 16th
    Sunday, March 17th

    Meet at the main parking lot at 9:00 AM.

    Bring sturdy shoes, long pants, long sleeves, gloves, lunch and water.

    We will provide tools, direction, coffee and snacks. Come help us show the best legal trails in the Bay Area some love!


    Sign up at Trailworkers

    Thanks!
    Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz and Stewards of Soquel Forest

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,622
    Awesome! I'll try to be at all. THANKS!
    I'm not sure how this works.

  3. #3
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: StuLax18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,289
    Woohoo!

    Any idea what we will be working on yet?
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chris.george's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    218
    Going to try and make Feb and March!

  5. #5
    pro leisure tour
    Reputation: sparkyJay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    773
    I've put them on the calendar!
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

  6. #6
    default title
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    Woohoo!

    Any idea what we will be working on yet?
    Dirt. Possibly with Redwoods.

    A MBOSC email from Drew says: "I'm looking for 1-2 ppl to help me do some layout work in the demo forest tomorrow (Wed). We will be doing planning for the upcoming workdays and flagging the corridor for environmental review for the tractor trail replacement. Email me if interested. Thanks!"
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drew p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    296

    Tree at bottom of Braille clear

    BUMP for trailwork at SDSF this winter. Come help take care of the best legal trails managed by the best land managers around. See first post for schedule. First workday will probably be Braille as it usually needs the most attention, but post up what you think needs work and we can discuss.

    Ed, Patty and Reba got an early start and cleared the tree at the bottom of Braille today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Demo Forest Trailwork Schedule-photo-1-.jpg  


  8. #8
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: StuLax18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,289
    I'd like to work on Braille because I have a group coming down from the North Bay most likely in middle to late Feb, so I'd love to have it mint. Hell, if I can get a shovel, I'll go out and shore up some of those spots myself. I'd love to see some nice berms put in too, although after seeing the berm on ridge that we built last year dry up into nothing I don't know as much.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

  9. #9
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,937
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    I'd like to work on Braille because I have a group coming down from the North Bay most likely in middle to late Feb, so I'd love to have it mint. Hell, if I can get a shovel, I'll go out and shore up some of those spots myself. I'd love to see some nice berms put in too, although after seeing the berm on ridge that we built last year dry up into nothing I don't know as much.
    Yeah, that berm turned to ****. I think it just needs some love again. Maybe the dirt there was low in clay, thus turned to powder quickly.
    We'll fix it up.

  10. #10
    Flyin Canine
    Reputation: shanedawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,287
    Good to see everyone fired up. I can't do too much trailwork this year after I had to have surgery on my collarbone in late december and am still healing up a couple of other areas. Have fun everyone and a big thanks to Drew for leading.
    -Shane

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,622
    Looks like rain for next weekend so the dirt will move GREAT!!!! Really hope to see some new faces out there (and old of course). Do we have a head count yet?
    I'm not sure how this works.

  12. #12
    pro leisure tour
    Reputation: sparkyJay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    773
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    .......Do we have a head count yet?
    One!
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

  13. #13
    padded
    Reputation: DrWheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    705
    In!
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

  14. #14
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,937
    What's the plan for this weekend?
    Which trail?
    Drainage? Braking bumps? Working on reroutes? Brushing? Building features?

  15. #15
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: StuLax18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,289
    berms on Braille

    /whisper
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

  16. #16
    Blargen
    Reputation: PACS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    136
    How about a gap jump or bridge over that mud pool at the beginning of ridge?

    90% sure I'm in. Had a really good time last year helping out before the enduro race.

  17. #17
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: StuLax18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    This
    I rode a certain Sweet trail in a certain area down by a certain University, and learned how nice a good berm is.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drew p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    296
    Rain is possible. We will likely drive to bottom of Braille and work uphill hitting the drains. I have some ideas for some enhancements as well and am open to suggestions.

    7 signed up on trailworkers. Sign up if you are coming!

    Thanks!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by drew p View Post
    Rain is possible. We will likely drive to bottom of Braille and work uphill hitting the drains. I have some ideas for some enhancements as well and am open to suggestions.

    7 signed up on trailworkers. Sign up if you are coming!

    Thanks!
    Was there an email about Demo trailwork? It looks like I just got some about Wilder, Nisene Marks and Pogonip recently.
    Correct number of bikes: n+1 bikes
    Correct body weight: m-10 pounds

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drew p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    296
    You should have gotten an email now. I sent it out to MBOSC, ROMP and MORCA but forgot the trailworkers.com list.

    17 signed up, looking forward to it!


    drew


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    84
    I probably can't make it out there tomorrow until around noon. What's the schedule and where can I meet up with everyone if I show up late?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,622
    Hey Drew...I will be there but will be riding in from the top. I'll clean up Braille coming down and join up with the crew then. See you guys then...
    I'm not sure how this works.

  23. #23
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: StuLax18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,289
    I know last time I rode in, was thinking I'll do that again. Especially if we have that many people.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

  24. #24
    middle ring single track
    Reputation: Moe Ped's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,459

    Future attractions...

    ...this won't happen for a while; Drew's been out pioneering the new route of the Tractor Trail single track. This completely re-routes the old trail and will nearly triple the mileage with berm-a-licious flowy fun.

    To get approval of this route the corridor first needs to be identified so all the usual suspects (CDF, their resource people, etc, etc, etc.) can review it. Drew's confident it'll be a "go"!

    So I've been out the last couple of Weds. with Drew (drew p) Patty (knobbyknees) and Ed from the CDF. I've been trying to document the process; this is from the previous week's hike and bike:

    This is where the new Tractor Trail won't be, Ed disuaded Drew from crossing the drainage separating Tractor from Sawpit.

    Camera wise things started out OK; here's driving through the gate:


    Soon I was getting special effects I wasn't asking for:


    Then a couple of OK photos:



    The hardwood (firewood) harvesters were busy at work.


    Autofocus and exposure control went away


    Then my camera really took a dump.

    No more pix until this last Wednesday (with a different camera):

    Not a mini-excavator...


    Very impressive the firewood folks!


    drew p

    At this point I thought I'd try something a little different so I took out my GoPro and took a video of our survey through the woods. This may be incredibly boring to some of you; maybe that's the point---the work in the background to get a trail approved can be monotonous and redundant. But I love being out in the woods; this is 10 minutes of almost 5 hours that ended too soon:

    I was hoping to see sasquatch cross through the scene!

    A few vid screen grabs:

    Drew, Patty and Reba.


    Patty points out the section she flagged...


    Reba says hello...


    Reba needs her own Camelback...


    CDF Ed with an antiquity from a previous logging era.

    Stay tuned in...
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

    Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,622
    Great frickin work guys. Sounds awesome. I wouldn't mind being invited to this party as I have experience building lots of trails that have been beloved by many but I also understand that too many chefs in the kitchen is a drag. See you guys in a coupla hours...
    I'm not sure how this works.

  26. #26
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,937
    I'm out. Woke up sicker than expected.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,622
    Wonderful day on the mountain...I am BEAT! Braille is super dialed (at least the last 3/4). The dirt was perfect! Aside from working up top on cleaning brush, fixing features and adding more flow, I headed down and met the team of some 14 diggers where we spent some good time re-making one of my favorite jumps....super solid, great run in, much cleaner, and a fine jump indeed! Thanks to everyone or the hard work and can't wait to go back and do it again soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Demo Forest Trailwork Schedule-pic1d.jpg  

    Demo Forest Trailwork Schedule-pic2d.jpg  

    Demo Forest Trailwork Schedule-pic3d.jpg  

    Demo Forest Trailwork Schedule-pic4d.jpg  

    Demo Forest Trailwork Schedule-pic5d.jpg  

    Demo Forest Trailwork Schedule-pic6d.jpg  

    I'm not sure how this works.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    878
    Great work everyone, a huge thanks!! Sampled Braille twice late this afternoon, nice job!

    I liked the little micro-bridge at the sharp right turn (where the huge tree was down - thanks to the CDF folks for chainsawing that up!), and the banking on that one always-sliding-out-turn a bit downhill from that. Great drainage work...although hopefully the drains don't get tested too much this winter!

  29. #29
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: StuLax18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,289
    Awesome job today everybody!

    That berm that went in looked amazing. It was great having so many people out there. Hopefully those drains stay fairly clean and keep the water from eroding too much. I know I tried to take out a lot of the braking bumps that had been forming, as well as clear off a bunch of pine needles and sticks from the trail.

    Those new features that went in looked really nice also.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

  30. #30
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: StuLax18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,289
    Here's a shot to show about how far up we got.

    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    ...this won't happen for a while; Drew's been out pioneering the new route of the Tractor Trail single track. This completely re-routes the old trail and will nearly triple the mileage with berm-a-licious flowy fun.

    To get approval of this route the corridor first needs to be identified so all the usual suspects (CDF, their resource people, etc, etc, etc.) can review it. Drew's confident it'll be a "go"!

    So I've been out the last couple of Weds. with Drew (drew p) Patty (knobbyknees) and Ed from the CDF. I've been trying to document the process; this is from the previous week's hike and bike:

    This is where the new Tractor Trail won't be, Ed disuaded Drew from crossing the drainage separating Tractor from Sawpit.

    Camera wise things started out OK; here's driving through the gate:


    Soon I was getting special effects I wasn't asking for:


    Then a couple of OK photos:



    The hardwood (firewood) harvesters were busy at work.


    Autofocus and exposure control went away


    Then my camera really took a dump.

    No more pix until this last Wednesday (with a different camera):

    Not a mini-excavator...


    Very impressive the firewood folks!


    drew p

    At this point I thought I'd try something a little different so I took out my GoPro and took a video of our survey through the woods. This may be incredibly boring to some of you; maybe that's the point---the work in the background to get a trail approved can be monotonous and redundant. But I love being out in the woods; this is 10 minutes of almost 5 hours that ended too soon:

    I was hoping to see sasquatch cross through the scene!

    A few vid screen grabs:

    Drew, Patty and Reba.


    Patty points out the section she flagged...


    Reba says hello...


    Reba needs her own Camelback...


    CDF Ed with an antiquity from a previous logging era.

    Stay tuned in...
    Just let me know if you need a hand with that firewood My wood stove loves Madrone!

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drew p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    296

    Reminder - Next workday Feb 16

    Next weekend, sign up!

    We are taking requests for places to work. I was thinking of trying to hit the upper half of Sawpit as I don't believe it had any work last year.

    Quote Originally Posted by drew p View Post
    Howdy mountain bikers,

    We have scheduled this season's trailwork at the Soquel Demonstration Forest. More dates may be added soon.

    Saturday, January 26th
    Saturday, February 16th
    Sunday, March 17th

    Meet at the main parking lot at 9:00 AM.

    Bring sturdy shoes, long pants, long sleeves, gloves, lunch and water.

    We will provide tools, direction, coffee and snacks. Come help us show the best legal trails in the Bay Area some love!


    Sign up at Trailworkers

    Thanks!
    Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz and Stewards of Soquel Forest

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,622
    Quote Originally Posted by drew p View Post
    Next weekend, sign up!

    We are taking requests for places to work. I was thinking of trying to hit the upper half of Sawpit as I don't believe it had any work last year.
    Looking forward to tomorrow! I'll be riding in as usually, starting around 7:00 so I can get in a full day of work (as usual) but satisfy my one day a week Demo ride that I cherish. I plan to ride down braille, up tractor and meet everyone on Sawpit. Hopefully it will be timed so I get you guys as reach upper Sawpit. Look forward to getting Sawpit in ship shape. If the destination has changed, please let me know. Thanks!
    I'm not sure how this works.

  34. #34
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: StuLax18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,289
    Oh snap, this is tomorrow!
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •