Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Demo Flow Trail project update and Trail Construction Crew Leader Training

Demo Flow Trail Project Update
    Since the completion of the Emma McCrary trail, MBOSC has been hard at work behind the scenes on the Demo Flow Trail project and we wanted to give folks an update on the status of the project and our plans for the summer and fall. We are starting a google group to keep people informed about this project. Send an email to mbosc-demo+subscribe@googlegroups.com to sign up.

If you haven't heard, our Own the Flow Ibis Ripley raffle raised $44,000 for the project! Thanks a bunch to Ibis Cycles and to all of you who donated. We estimate that this project will take at least $100,000 to complete, so if you, your company, or anyone you know would like to make a donation, or if you know of any grants we should pursue, please let us know.

The club is working with CALFIRE to complete the environmental documentation and secure any necessary permits. We are making good progress and everything should be lined up to begin work this year.
    We plan to begin construction in the fall once the rain starts again and we have moist soil to work with. Moist soil is going to be key for proper compaction of berms, rollers, and other features and keeping the trail solid during both the wet and dry months. We should have at least a couple of segments ready to ride by the spring.

Trail Construction Crew Leader Training
    The Flow Trail Project will be a huge undertaking and will take lots of skilled and dedicated volunteers to make it a success. Due to the remote location we intend to conduct LARGE workdays and even work weekends where many volunteers will work on large portions of the trail at the same time. In order for this to work we need trained crew leaders who are all on the same page and can work together as a team to pull it off!

This summer we are conducting a trailwork and crew leader training series. If you are interested in making a significant contribution and being involved in helping lead this project we encourage you to attend these training events. However, if you don't want to lead a crew but want to learn more about trail construction feel free to attend! There will be both classroom sessions and field based exercises discussing trail design, construction, and volunteer management. We will hold evening classes both in Santa Cruz and the San Jose area and will hold field training sessions in Demo. Additionally, we will take field trips to the Emma McCrary trail and the Endor Flow Trail in Tamarancho up in Marin to gain understanding of flow trail design and construction.

Please sign up for the Crew Leader Training by sending email to trails@mbosc.org Crew Leaders should complete the series before being assigned to independently lead a trail construction crew on the Demo Flow Trail. You will receive a course binder and various materials at Class 1. Once you have completed the series at Class 5 you will be awarded a very special Crew Leader swag bag that will allow you to be dressed and equipped for leadership success!

Course Descriptions are below.

Class 1) Trail design overview This class will cover various topics on trail design for the Flow Trail as well as other types of trails, and includes designing for intended use, sustainability, soils, trail grade, features, and user safety. Also we will discuss how the design is laid out and marked, revised and finalized, and the crew leader's role in implementing the design.

Class 2) Trail construction overview This class will build on Class 1, and will focus again on how we will be building the Flow Trail but will also cover construction for other types of trails. Topics include construction standards and techniques, steps and sequence of construction including use of mechanized equipment, how crews work most efficiently, various tools used etc.

Class 3) Trail construction workshop This field session will be held in Soquel Demo Forest. We will take the information from Classes 1 & 2, and discuss and practice laying out trail segments, and practice various trail construction methods for different elements of the Flow Trail.

Class 4) Trail crew leadership Topics in this class will focus on the human element of working with volunteers, project managers, and the land manager. We will discuss workday schedule of events, respecting volunteer's time and effort, safety, following guidelines, working with different personality and body types, teaching vs. doing, the crew leader's role on a large workday, working together as a team with other crew leaders, etc.

Class 5) Trail crew workshop This field session will be held in Soquel Demo Forest. We will put the lessons from Classes 3 and 4 to work. Various scenarios will be enacted allowing crew leaders to practice leadership skills on a mock volunteer workday.

Field Trip 1) Emma McCrary Trail, Santa Cruz This field trip will bring crew leaders to certain focal points on this newly constructed multi-use trail and will discuss various issues related to trail user experience, trail design, construction and crew leadership.

Field Trip 2) Endor Flow Trail, Fairfax This field trip will bring crew leaders to certain focal points on this newly constructed purpose built Flow Trail and will discuss its unique design, professional mechanized construction blended with volunteer help, and challenges related to maintaining a Flow Trail after construction

Tentative Schedule of Classes (subject to change) below. Classes 1, 2, and 4 are indoors, evenings, 2 hours. Curriculum will be the same at both, hopefully most people can make one of the two dates for each class. The workshops and field trips are outdoors, weekends lasting about half a day:

Section A Santa Cruz) Evening classes will be held Wednesdays from 6 to 8pm in Santa Cruz. Workshops and Field Trips are Saturdays 9-3pm.
    Location Geo H. Wilson Inc. 250 Harvey West Blvd, Santa Cruz
    Class 1: 7/31 Wednesday 6 to 8pm
    Class 2: 8/14 Wednesday 6 to 8pm
    Field Trip 1: 8/17 Saturday 9-3pm
    Class 3: 8/24 Saturday 9-3pm
    Field Trip 2: TBD Saturday
    Class 4: 9/11 Wednesday 6 to 8pm
    Class 5: 9/28 Saturday 9-3pm (formally 9/14, rescheduled)

Section B South Bay) Evening classes will be held Thursdays from 6:30 to 8:30 in the South Bay. Workshops and Field Trips are Sundays 9-3pm.
    Location Camarush, 1257 Dell Ave., Campbell CA 95008
    Class 1: 8/8 Thursday 6:30 to 8:30pm
    Class 2: 8/22 Thursday 6:30 to 8:30pm
    Field Trip 1: 8/25 Sunday 9-3pm
    Class 3: 9/8 Sunday 9-3pm
    Field Trip 2: TBD Sunday
    Class 4: 9/12 Thursday 6:30 to 8:30pm
    Class 5: 9/22 Sunday 9-3pm

We may consider adding a Section C, or makeup sections if there is enough demand.

Please sign up for the Crew Leader Training by sending an email to trails@mbosc.org with the subject: Crew leader training

If you do not want to be a crew leader but would like to be notified of trailwork once we begin, please sign up to our email list by sending a message to mbosc-demo+subscribe@googlegroups.com to sign up.

Thanks again for your support of this project!

Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz and Stewards of Soquel Forest
    Last edited by drew p; 09-13-2013 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Locations added and South Bay Class 2 date change

mtbr member
    Yeehaw...just asked to be a crew leader...can't wait to get this going!!! Thanks Drew!
    I'm not sure how this works.

sunnyside up
    Gonna be so much fun to get this trail built! Come be a part of the team!
    "...So forget all your duties, oh yeah! Fat bottomed girls, they'll be riding today..." Freddie Mercury

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Drew, I was unable to get some $ put into the raffle. Is there a link or address to sent some $'s to the effort?

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    That's beautiful news, Drew. Thanks or the info! Time for folks to step up (or you can't complain after the fact!).
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

aka dan51
    Crew leader here! But I can't make either of the class 5 sessions
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

sunnyside up
    leaguerider, you can donate on MBOSC's membership page Membership | Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz (MBOSC)

(or join, or both). Thanks for supporting the flow trail!

And Dan, we will probably have some make-up sessions, so don't worry!
    "...So forget all your duties, oh yeah! Fat bottomed girls, they'll be riding today..." Freddie Mercury

mtbr member
    After a few years of participating in organized trail work days I have come to the conclusion that I am a grunt and not a trail engineer. See you guys out there. Looking forward to it.

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    After a few years of participating in organized trail work days I have come to the conclusion that I am a grunt and not a trail engineer. See you guys out there. Looking forward to it.

"A man's got to know his limitations."

Harry Callahan, Magnum Force 1973
    I don't rattle.

sunnyside up
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Grunts needed and welcome, there is gonna be a lot of dirt to move.

mtbr member

Keith you may have some trail engineer hiding in there, coming to the class couldn't hurt.

Dan dates are still tentative so maybe it will work out for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drew p View Post
    Keith you may have some trail engineer hiding in there, coming to the class couldn't hurt.
    Deep hiding. I'm going to be out of town next week but I'll try to hit Class 2.

mtbr member
    Thanks, Drew. This is a great opportunity.

Travis

I'm really diggin it!

Nicely done Drew. Keeping the process public and positive are key for getting volunteers involved. I'd love to help out this winter.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Schedule looks good for Session B. Sending in request for the Crew leader.
    I used to run tubes like you are, but then I got thorn in my wheel.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Hate that I won't get to be a part of this, but I know it is in very capable hands.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    I rode at Demo quite a bit last summer and will be moving to the south bay area in around a month, so definitely want to get involved in this.
    Not really doing much Ridin' or Diggin'

mtbr member
    The first class covering trail design is this Wednesday evening 7/31 at 6pm. Location is conference room at Geo H. Wilson at 250 Harvey W Blvd, Santa Cruz, CA 95060. In the Harvey West area just up the street from the Costco gas station and across from the Harvey West Pool.

The same class will be given in the South Bay next Thursday, August 8th.

Again, classes are open to anyone interested in learning more about trail construction and helping out on the Flow trail. If you don't want to be a crew leader that is fine.

Please email trails@mbosc.org if you plan to attend.

mtbr member
    Big thanks to the 18 folks who came to Class 1 in Santa Cruz today. Class 1 will be held again in the south bay next Thursday. Hope to see you there.

mtbr member
    So stoked for this. If I can't make it to the Crew Leader trainings then I'll definitely be out there as a grunt come trailwork time. Thanks for leading the charge Drew!

Blargen
    Just signed up. Glad to be a part of this.

mtbr member
    The first class was great! This is a very thorough and thought out program designed to build a world class trail that will last and require minimal maintenance...and kick ass. If the class turn out is any indication of volunteer turn out for getting this done, we are looking good! Thanks Drew, Patty, Ed and everyone else! Looking forward to Class #2...and beyond.
    I'm not sure how this works.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbyknees View Post
    Grunts needed and welcome, there is gonna be a lot of dirt to move.
    I will be a grunt, once I'm cleared post-op.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

sunnyside up

Re: Demo Flow Trail project update and Trail Construction Crew Leader Training

I'm really stoked at the level of interest people are showing for this! Doing the math..... I figure it's realistic to assume we can get half our crew leaders to work on any given workday, and each crew leader can handle a crew of 8 volunteers, and so far we had 18 peeps at the Santa Cruz class, and have 15 registered for the South Bay class..... that's setting us up to be able to manage 135 volunteers!

Can you say trail work PARTAY!!!??

We are going to get this trail built before you can say banked turns, baby!

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbyknees View Post
    I'm really stoked at the level of interest people are showing for this! Doing the math..... I figure it's realistic to assume we can get half our crew leaders to work on any given workday, and each crew leader can handle a crew of 8 volunteers, and so far we had 18 peeps at the Santa Cruz class, and have 15 registered for the South Bay class..... that's setting us up to be able to manage 135 volunteers!

Can you say trail work PARTAY!!!??

We are going to get this trail built before you can say banked turns, baby!
    Agree. This is awesomesauce.

Man, if it weren't for my upcoming surgery, I would be at the South Bay one So as a grunt I go.

When do we start building?
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast