Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

Trailwork Friday 3/7

We will be working tomorrow (Friday 3/7) with a pretty good group. Weather and dirt should be great. Email me for details trails@mbosc.org

Dirt was so nice yesterday Matt and I couldn't help but get what we were working on dialed. Not a beautiful bogdan or josh photo but you get the idea.

Last edited by drew p; 03-06-2014 at 08:52 PM.

mtbr member
    I will see if I can get a babysitter...I need to DIG man! Can you dig it?
    Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

tastes like chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by drew p View Post

Dirt was so nice yesterday Matt and I couldn't help but get what we were working on dialed. Not a beautiful bogdan or josh photo but you get the idea.

Nice! This isn't familiar. Are you working on segment 3 these days?

Wish I could join you tomorrow. After March 14th I'll have a lot more time to be part of the weekday crew. I'm really looking forward to working with you, Matt and the crew in the forest!

mtbr member

Information on the Morrison Trailblazer, Please

Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    Unofficial thread for images pertaining to the build-out of the new "Flow Trail" in Soquel Demonstration State Forest.

For something more official go here Trail Talk | Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz (MBoSC)

This was the second day Drew and crew were able to start rough cutting the trail with the Morrison Trailblazer; I was out to deliver a tool storage box and wound up getting greasy doing some minor repairs to the machine. Because of said greasiness I didn't feel like contaminating my camera so I instead used my iPhone to record some of the action. (apologies in advance)

So here starts the scrapbook:

Results of the first day's operation; for scale that's a 4' wide bench and a 4' vert. cut bank---at 100% the steepest side-slope along the whole route. Drew wanted to get it out of the way early. (Photo courtesy Drew Perkins)

Drew (drewp) fires up the Morrison as Patty C (knobbyknees) gets a photo from a different direction.

Trail cutting resumes. Looking like the engine may need an overhaul that's actually just water vapor from the cold start-up. I like the drama it added!

The steep portion in the first photo the trail is cutting across an ancient(?) landslide scarp; here the trail is on the gentle slope formed where the slide came to stop.

In this iPhone video Drew cuts the trail past a rare cluster of virgin-growth redwoods; the tape on trees is a reminder from CDF that they're not to be harmed in any way.

As Drew moves beyond the old trees the tilt caused to one tree by the landside is evident (could be used to date the landslide).

Looking back up the trail past one of the more up-right trees the natural "flow" of the terrain can be seen.

Got photos??? Post 'em!
    Can you supply us (Mendocino Coast Cyclists and Dirt Dogs) with any information on this great little machine? We are drooling over something like this for our future trail development here on the North Coast.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by RooHarris View Post
    Can you supply us (Mendocino Coast Cyclists and Dirt Dogs) with any information on this great little machine? We are drooling over something like this for our future trail development here on the North Coast.
    It's a great little machine with a few quirks (nothing a talented operator can't overcome)

The bad news is that they're no longer in production (1960's design???) and as such are no longer supported. So if your club has mechanical talent (for cheap) and you can find one used (around 60 were built???) then they're still a viable piece of machinery.

The modern equivalent is this:
    Single Track: Specialty Trail Equipment

Rather pricey but "ya gets what ya pay fer"!
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

mtbr member

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    It's a great little machine with a few quirks (nothing a talented operator can't overcome)

The bad news is that they're no longer in production (1960's design???) and as such are no longer supported. So if your club has mechanical talent (for cheap) and you can find one used (around 60 were built???) then they're still a viable piece of machinery.

The modern equivalent is this:
    Single Track: Specialty Trail Equipment

Rather pricey but "ya gets what ya pay fer"!
    Thank you for your speedy reply. We're all familiar with the Single Track machine, but 90K is way out of budget for us. If you ever hear of any of the Morrison's for sale please let us know. We have a cadre of mechanics available in our club.

mtbr member
    Good news...looks like I will be there tomorrow! giddyup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Good news...looks like I will be there tomorrow! giddyup.
    Come join us for a ride. We're meeting at Big River - East end at 11AM. Bring your saw. Lots of down stuff we're contending w/ lately.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RooHarris View Post
    Come join us for a ride. We're meeting at Big River - East end at 11AM. Bring your saw. Lots of down stuff we're contending w/ lately.
    huh? My plan is to go work the Soquel Flow trail tomorrow so not sure what you mean. Plan to help Patty work on the 'other' trails Saturday. Good job clearing the other trails though...hope I can ride ST soon.

middle ring single track
    huh? My plan is to go work the Soquel Flow trail tomorrow so not sure what you mean. Plan to help Patty work on the 'other' trails Saturday. Good job clearing the other trails though...hope I can ride ST soon.
    Lemme translate; RooHarris is up in Mendocino and thought your were implying that you were going to be "there" as in Mendo. (Your reply followed his reply to my reply)

Why quoting always helps keep thing straight...
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by drew p View Post
    We will be working tomorrow (Friday 3/6) with a pretty good group. Weather and dirt should be great. Email me for details trails@mbosc.org

i assume that should read tomorrow, friday 3/7?

if so, is it really dry enough? and if so, anyone want to carpool from the southbay? Glenn, Josh, Porkmilker? i can carry one bike (or one fatbike with deflated tires)

sidenote: Patty's email mentioned something about braille/ridge/sawpit trail work on Saturday 3/9 (which i assume means Saturday 3/8?)

i'm already bad with dates, you guys are messing with me

mtbr member
    I'd drive with you but need a quick gettaway should work or wife call. I am gonna play it safe and drive but happy to take you (though you will need to make a grand escape with me should something wacky happen). PM me if interested and we can set a meet up spot and time.

mtbr member
    My mistake. I understood you might be heading our way on the Mendocino coast. In any case, ever up our way look us up.

mtbr member
    Yes tomorrow 3/7!

mtbr member

Demo Flow Scrapbook

Quote Originally Posted by modbog View Post
    anyone want to carpool from the southbay? Glenn, Josh, Porkmilker? i can carry one bike (or one fatbike with deflated tires)
    Only just seen this, but yes, let's car pool for the next one!
    Ridin' & Diggin'

roadie
    Q: do you like berms?

banana slug says: no.. i prefer uphill floooooooooww

Q: did you see bigfoot's new open toe shoe preference?

Q: ever actually see a trail faerie?

Q: why is Drew putting his hands where it clearly says not to?

the answer to these, and many other questions you may have not asked can be answered by coming out to next week's MTBR dig-n-camp trailbuilding weekend. stoke.

bring your bike

and your work pants

hmpf.

rest of the photos from today:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10042...36697703025153

mtbr member
    Pics from Friday's work day. We tackled Section 3 as 5 was too wet. Great fun, great crew, hard work!

The crew plans their attack

Though hard to tell, this gully will require a bridge...any carpenter's out there?

This dude has a broken rib...what's your excuse?

One tool won't cut it for Glenn

coupla wacky dudes who love to dig!

Colorful support

working the stump

working the stump 2

These guys completely beat the stump from hell!

The scene of the carnage

We moved some crazy dirt to pump up this berm

berm building action

LUNCH!

Not sure what to name this photo

pretty berm

Pretty berm 2

Cool colors out there

More berm action

where's Matt?

Drew working

used piping to mark the line

Tractor had enough

Tractor fail...hope they still make this part (by the way, this is where your donations help)

We will prevail!

trail rat
    used piping to mark the line
    That "piping" is a "flow stick", invented by the guys at Forest Trails Alliance. When they shared it with us a couple years ago, this was Drew's comments in an email.

It seems they produce what would be called a "sine-generated curve" This is the same shape river meanders and bent spring steel (or pvc pipes?) form. The sine-generated curve has an interesting property in that the shape represents the most uniform distribution of change along a curve. A meandering river forms a sine-generated curve because it is the shape that allows the water to change direction using the minimum amount of energy. In the same way that shape allows the bicycle to change direction (both up/down and left/right) using the minimum amount of energy (which comes from shear forces applied to tires). It is the path that will turn a bicycle a certain angle over a certain distance using the minimal amount of energy which is then used to make the smile on your face bigger?
    Drew is a Cal Poly SLO and CCCMB alumni, doing great work. You guys are fortunate to have someone so knowledgeable, capable, and visionary.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    Drew is a Cal Poly SLO and CCCMB alumni, doing great work. You guys are fortunate to have someone so knowledgeable, capable, and visionary.
    +∞

Tractor fail...hope they still make this part (by the way, this is where your donations help)
    yeah, that pillow block is probably going to run a hundo or two. Paul?

NONDURO
    Holy damn crapflaps!!! Excellent work you fellas are putting forth!!! I wish I had a proper “tell the wife” excuse to get out there and help you all but she seems fixated on the notion that since I am unemployed that I need to spend almost every minute each weekday looking for a job… which as we all know is not logical/practical (she is in biotech, so a resume isn’t really needed… whereas I work web/creative, wherein supposedly any guy from India swears he can do the job).
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by modbog View Post
    +∞

yeah, that pillow block is probably going to run a hundo or two. Paul?
    Yep, if the size Drew came up with is correct Motion Industries has them for $100.45 ea. for either the top or bottom units.

NIB units on eBay for much less but that's a crap shoot.

If the local suppliers don't have stock (which is possible because that shaft size is a bit uncommon) I could see the parts bill reaching $300 if stuff needs to be overnighted.

Donate, donate, donate....

sunnyside up
    The easy way to help the flow trail, especially if you can't dig:

Donate | Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz (MBoSC)
    "...So forget all your duties, oh yeah! Fat bottomed girls, they'll be riding today..." Freddie Mercury

roadie
    ride it like you built it. segment #5 is getting dialed.

hip jump chubbed up today. fatty mc fat-fat been on a steady diet of chunk.. looking good on ya

entry to the wall ride got some more attention

u can't touch this

bermzilla getting some more inslope. this turn is where it starts to get all bobsled-y, sending you through the tree gap

a view from the entry..

it's steep! and really takes some inslope to get you that brake-free confident grin (this will get another pass no doubt - cause tampin' ain't easy)

nature!

dogs!

jumps!

where's my beer? (psst, that's me in the last one)

mtbr member
    Posted this up on another thread but placing here for posterity.

We worked 5 and 3 over the past few days. Tractor broke last weekend and we got the new parts today...but they didn't quite fit. We had to use the grinder to shorten some metal and the screws would not fit through the slots on one piece...grrr! However, these are all likely things we can fix with some ingenuity and machines. We put in a new berm and worked a lot of duff. We also started on the bridge...cutting pieces and material to getter done.

As for section 5...SO RAD! My new favorite trail in Demo. The new jump is incredible. It holds a secret reward which I discovered today after three tries. If you can land on the downslope (not too hard with speed and some gumption), you scrub zero speed so you can easily clear the second kicker which then allows you enough speed for the last kicker into the berm. It all hinges on the first jump...I think that is so damn cool!

I also finally doubled the rollers (Glenn's rollers). I wasn't sure I could clear those but the trail is so fast now, you can boost the first roller to land on the tranny pretty sweetly...so smooth and a great way to enter the bermy bermtastico. I had so much fun, I had to session it a few times even though I was late to get home! Anyhow...see you guys again soon!

So, here's what to expect (sort of):

We want to remove this sign and you will be a big part of that!

You'll show up and sign in

You will be assigned to a section and team leader. Your team leader will share everything you need to know about safety, strategy, and how to kick some ass.

You'll grab a helmet and gear and head to your assigned segment (If you could, please bring a bike helmet in case we run out)

Lucky for you, we have cleared all the muck...used to look like this

Now it looks more like this

Your team will scout your location and strategize...the line will be tagged on what to do

Things you might do:

Clear duff...find the dirt! Turn this:

into this:

You might:

Widen and scrape duff to create diggable dirt (Duff...vegetation filled soil...bad for compacting...creates holes and erosion over time):

Create a berm

Compacting dirt to make it FAST!

Build a bridge!

Maybe even build a jump or two

Or, you might just help us clear some more paths of sticks, leaves, and obstacles.

Saturday will be section 3 which is most of what you see above. Sunday will be section 5 which is RAD but needs to be dialed in and ?maybe? finished!

End of day, you will be stoked!!! And we will get a lot more of this:

I am sure there is more I am missing but hopefully you get the idea. See you all soon!!!
    Last edited by squashyo; 03-14-2014 at 08:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Nice to meet you today. I still have 4 "Volunteer Day Offs" from work left this year, so I'll be seeing you guys out there again. :-)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast