Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Well, I brought the camera for today but ended up working, then bonked...at least I got a few pics. Today crew (folks who completed the Trail Leader Classes - 15 or 17 in all?) babied the trail, buffing out spots, cleaning up lines, and general digging. Our crew built a big ole berm and moved a crap load of dirt in the process. Looks pretty and really helps for keeping speed through a turn into a wall ride (ahhhh, yeah). Anyhow, I am BEAT! Trail is gonna rock:

The crew!

The Tools (and crew)

Lower Tractor (crew fuzzy crew)

The walk

The walk 2

A bunch of sap

Up to the trail
    Peaut butter Tuesday, if you kow what I mea!

mtbr member
    Looks like a very productive day out there again today - well done to all involved!

Hope to be back out there again soon
    Ridin' & Diggin'

tastes like chicken
    These photos are amazing! Thank you all for working in the demo this past week. I'm blown away at the level of progress.

I'm itching to get out there to build!

middle ring single track

Segment 5, Turn Number ???

This berm has received so much attention it should probably be given a name; I didn't realize it until I saw the other photos in this thread that this was the 3rd day it was being worked on. Riders will pass through it ("it's" really more of a rolling grade dip in an "S" shape than just a turn) in less than a second yet there's probably 40~50 hours of volunteer labor invested (lovingly) on it:

This was the group I was attached to; Clockwise from right; "crew-leader-for-the-day" Alan, "regular" crew leaders Jill, Robert and Pierre; project leaders Drew and Matt. Matt seems to be gesturing "who?, me???"

Andrea delivers one of many wheelbarrow loads of soil used to perfect the berm. Barely discernible in the right foreground are the flags and ribbon describing the yet to be cut "dip".

Layers are compacted before adding more dirt.

Matt shows Alan where he would like the next load dumped.

The "dip" preceding the berm has been cut (my contribution) and gets leveled by the vibratory plate compactor.

Ditto

Ditto

From a stroll coming back uphill to the "corner":

And lastly; as we packed it up for the day some prospective "customers" stopped by for a look:
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

sunnyside up

Re: Demo Flow Scrapbook

Hi friends of the Flow, we have good digging dirt and Drew and some crew leaders will be out on the flow trail tomorrow starting at 9:00.

If you can help please RSVP to Drew: trails@mbosc.org

This project date isnt listed on our volunteer form

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1FKd...3FQqU/viewform

but you can also sign up there by chosing "notify me of future projects" and putting "I can help Monday 2/17" in the last box.

The registration form has all the details about the trailwork, so check it out!
    "...So forget all your duties, oh yeah! Fat bottomed girls, they'll be riding today..." Freddie Mercury

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Y'all are McCloud-carrying dirt heroes!

We'll be out there Saturday.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

roadie
    trail is really coming along. nice to see it unfold.. and fun to ride! build. test. tweak. stoke. repeat.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10042...71238927019105

some highlights from today.. starting from around mid trail on segment 5

Matt riding skid steer like a boss. cutting back more material for this berm which delivers you to...

this sweet wall ride (which still needs some tweaking)

here's a view from above

further up the trail we have..

the "no you didn't" area. currently tarp'd to try to keep in some moisture

even further up we've got this gateway tree has been cut back to improve sightline

this is a pretty big tree with heaps of character

just above the tree we have this big ole berm. feels like only yesterday we were locking in the bracing on the outside of this turn and it already looks like it's been there for ages

heading in the other direction, bottom half of segment 5

brought to you by the letter "F"

the bogdan tree claims another victim

caught Kmax trimming some backslope. oh yeah

Bell sent a big crew of smiley volunteers.

and a gov't employee

thanks y'all!

come on out and pack some dirt

woof, woof wooof woof.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10042...71238927019105

mtbr member
    B- Pic third from the last is rad!

Great job everybody! Can't wait to get back out there!

tastes like chicken
    Awesome photos modbog! It was great to meet you yesterday. Here is another POV of segment 5 with beginning and ending with modbog

roadie
    thanks, guys! i think a lot of nice works of light and dirt will come out of this project

in the meanwhile, it's tool time. let's get to know the tools we're using:

there are a lot of them!

above are a pile of leaf rakes (aka fan rakes.) useful for moving light material like well, leaves. duff is no match for this tool. great for clearing light organic debris before you start digging with the other tools. have to "backslope" a section of trail? this will probably come out so you can keep your dirt and organics separate (just ask Matt why that's important Trail Talk #2: Keep ?em separated | Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz (MBoSC))

metal rakes. not as good for gathering leaves.. duff tens to get stuck in the tines and turns it into a dirt club. great for moving and grading loose dirt as well as stripping slightly heavier organics from the top soil.

McLeods. named after their creator Malcolm McLeod, a US Forest Service ranger at the Sierra National Forest. this dualsided tool combines a rake and hoe and is useful in a variety of situations. it can cut small roots, scrape dirt, rake duff... all sorts of stuff. probably why it's used for so many trail restoration and fire suppression tasks. make sure to store it safely when not in use, you definitely don't want to step on the business end of this tool.

the cutter mattock. not to be confused with the pick mattock below. the cutter is a combination of axe and adze heads. it's a big heavy tool with a large eye to accommodate the big heavy shaft. it's both a digging tool (adze) and cutting tool (axe) use the adze end to dig channels and get through hard dirt. uncover a root that needs to go? flip it over and use the axe end to chop it down to size.

pick mattock. like the cutter mattock, it has an adze head. but unlike the cutter mattock it has a pick on the other end instead of an axe. the pick is useful for getting through really tough stuff. rocky trail need digging? here's your tool. it can kick back material and rock chips so don't forget the eye protection.

the Pulaski, as it's commonly known. named after Ed Pulaski, this tool is also heavily used in firefighting. similar to the cutter mattock in that it has an axe and adze end. but unlike the cutter mattock, this is not a heavy digging tool. the handle is much lighter and can break easier. as with any axe, check the handle for damage frequently... breaking the handle while in use can be no bueno (think heavy flying metal sharpness.) this one is more axe then adze, so don't grab this one for digging.

the rogue hoe. don't snicker. this tool is made from recycled agricultural disc blades. those are the large discs farmers drag their fields with after plowing and tilling and as such are made from high grade tempered steel. i.e. heavy duty and sharp. these hoes are not like your average garden hoe. the head is much thicker, much sharper, and curved (made from discs remember..) great for scraping and finish work of tough, but not too rocky, mineral soil. when renaturalizing a section this tool is useful for blending the blackslope so it doesn't look a machined cliff side. store carefully.

flat shovel. used to dig, lift and move material. but with a flat head you're not going to do heavy digging with this tool. however, if you've got a pile of loose dirt and need to move it by hand, here you go.

round point shovel. like the flat head shovel but the blade has a rounded cutting edge and larger shoulders (the folded over bit where you put your foot on the shovel.) you can dig with this one, but remember not to use it like a lever. don't plunge it deep into packed dirt and pull back on the handle as you'll likely break it at some point. need to do heavy digging or break through tougher material? look at a mattock.

tamper. once graded, the trail will be smooth but soft so it will need some compaction. this hand tool is good alone or as a first pass before bringing in the vibrating plate compactor in. it's heavy so lift it up and let gravity do most of the work. trying to muscle this tool will hurt your hands.. switch up between workers frequently so no one gets too worn out. wet dirt? put plastic down before tamping and the dirt won't stick to the tool

bikes. useful for everything from testing to transportation. a really versatile tool used in climbing, descending, hucking drops, airing out gaps, tuning berms.. all sorts of awesomeness. and chicks dig them. you know my steez!

want to see these tools in use? check out some more photos from Saturday https://plus.google.com/photos/10042...03783823712401

or sign up for a trail day Calling All Flow Trail Fans for Volunteer Trailwork Days | Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz (MBoSC)

there will be dogs.. and beer!

mtbr member
    One look at the photos from a work day I wasn't in attendance for and I'm feeling eager to get back out there and dig - trail building is almost as addictive as riding!
    Ridin' & Diggin'

roadie
    i'm looking forward to getting back to the hip jump. it's gonna need some work

the way the line is right now it wants to lob you into the sticks if you come in straight.. did that a couple times

mtbr member
    You forgot one more tool (besides me)...coming THIS WEEK! Thank you Zeus.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

tastes like chicken
    This is an awesome and informative post!

In a future post consider discussing some of the mech that we use: plate tampers, power wheelbarrow, mini excavator, skid steer, etc... The power equipment has increased our productivity to build wicked new trail. Power equipment is used mostly during the week - except for the plate tamper and power wheelbarrow. I bought myself a set of those earplugs on a plastic loop that I can wear around my neck and I recommend that everyone who does a lot of weekday work on this trail to do the same.

mtbr member
    Goin' Black and white (mostly) on you previewers today. GREAT day digging. Cleaned up many lines and bumps...drains, berms, what nots. It was PERFECT building weather and of course we sampled the goods. Trail is way flowier now and down right fun. Today we had Glenn, Bogdon, Matt, Mark Davidson, Drew, me...and a showing from Patty. Pics:

NO BIKES ALLOWED...unless you are digging of course

Trail up top

What a tire sees

Keeping the dirt moist

Top of jump lip...yeah, it's ready for action now

Lots of stumps

Helps to have the right equipment

and good light

and a buddy

working the jump

checking angles

saw this dude checking out the new trail

Drew working the berm

some color

nice day in the forest

jump x4 Drew

da berm

tractor getting a rest

tractor part 2

berm and trail in background

Glenn...one badass mofo

Matt...always be digging..check out jump in background

Matt with jump in background

I think this is Drew?

Rad photo of Matt throwin' style

Sasquatch sighting

Thanks everyone...great day in the forest and can't wait to be back out there again soon...bring on the rain!!!
    Last edited by squashyo; 03-01-2014 at 07:45 AM.

tastes like chicken
    It was a great day out there! I'm really impressed about how much a small but focused crew can get accomplished with all that machinery.

mtbr member

Demo Flow Scrapbook

Very productive day out on the trail, really enjoyable and so cool to see the trail features getting really dialled in.

Now we await the rain!

Then more digging
    Ridin' & Diggin'

roadie
    good call on the B&W. and a good solid day, got lots done. improved several sections and identified a few more spots to address after the rain. looking forward to see how much water we get and how well it drains.

i'm sure everyone wants to see photos of our local celebrity so without further ado

squashyo, envisioning the flow

Drew, demonstrating the flow

Reba, whining

here's one of the fine tunings we did today

in the photo above we're looking down the trail toward the wall ride section. the berm we are on will guide us around this left turn and into a tight right + wallride before going into an uphill left.

here we're right at the wall ride. most people will probably transition back somewhere in the area of where the pink ribbon is. if you've lost most of your momentum that's fine - you'll have a few feet of downhill and be able to pedal through the uphill left. but if you managed to keep your flow around the wall you'll be moving at some speed when entering the uphill left.

problem: you get the sense you're getting kicked off the trail if you pin it past the drain.
    solution: inslope the grade reversal (it's currently pretty flat, maybe even a little outsloped)

step 1. backslope. separate organics, find good material to build with. bring in the trusty rogue hoe... if you compare to the previous image you'll see not only a new pile of dirt has emerged, but also that the hillside above the trail (backslope) has been smoothed out. this gives us both material to create inslope that will keep us from getting pushed off the trail AND makes the hillside look like it wasn't Sasquatch's first day at the office.

step 2. inslope. move the good material we gathered by backsloping the hillside above to the outside of the left turn.

step 3. compact. tread is soft in the areas we added material and needs to be firmed up. hand tamper and plate compactor come in. this will help remove the air and shake all the particles up till they're resorted and more tightly aligned.

step 4. this isn't really a separate step, but we need to make sure it's taken care of before we call it quits for the upcoming rain... drainage. here we've created a shallow and wide drain that outslopes at the bottom of the grade reversal. we're trying to make the angle of outslope relatively low since we want to keep the speed of water low (faster water = more erosion) it's also wide for the same reason, we want to "funnel" the water as little as possible.

ok, you're probably bored.. so here's one more of squashyo

and a chance to watch Drew show he doesn't just design dope trails

the rest: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...77565987015137

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Thanks for all the pix and hard work everyone is doing!!
    This trail will be a great addition to Demo.
    Can't wait to ride it.
    GoGo
    Yes, Monday and Tuesday are now no longer weekdays. Trust me. LP.
    No Rep/No Problem
    Banned For Boobies WTF?
    Don't PM Me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    This trail looks awesome. Never been to Santa Cruz before and will be up there for Spring Break with the family. This trail won't happen to be open by April 19 will it? Any others like it in the Demo that I should check out? Amazing trail work fellas.

mtbr member

Demo Flow Scrapbook

Quote Originally Posted by FijiRob View Post
    This trail looks awesome. Never been to Santa Cruz before and will be up there for Spring Break with the family. This trail won't happen to be open by April 19 will it? Any others like it in the Demo that I should check out? Amazing trail work fellas.
    No, we won't be done by April - there are seven sections for us to complete in total and right now we are working on one of those sections with some clearing of a second section just started.

There are 3 other main trails descending from the Ridge Trail at Demo, which are Corral, Braille & Sawpit. Well worth checking out, but be aware they aren't beginner trails by any means.

Check out Demo Forest on www.bayarearides.com for more info.

Of course if you'd like to come help dig the new trail....
    Ridin' & Diggin'

roadie
    check it.

middle ring single track

Tom Scribner Memorial Flow Trail?

Quote Originally Posted by modbog View Post
    check it.

Epic!

Modbog; was your choice of music (saw!) an homage to times gone by in Santa Cruz?

If so; pure genius!

If not; still genius!
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

roadie

i thought it fitting

mtbr member

Demo Flow Scrapbook

These time lapse videos are great! Nice job Bogdan
    Ridin' & Diggin'

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast