29er for the Soul

Deleveaga Park Need trail loop riding directions in park

(This thread is one in a series of threads about Santa Cruz trail areas)

We are looking for trail suggestions for Deleavage next week. Which way do we go when looking to have the most fun on the trails in the park?

My 14 year old son and myself are coming up to Santa Cruz next week for 2.5 days. We plan on exploring some of the riding areas around Santa Cruz. I am an advanced rider in good shape, but my son is not. I would classify him as an intermediate rider. We have been logging 8 11 miles every other day for the past 4 days and will continue for the rest of the week riding every other day to improve his conditioning. We ride moderate grades.

What are some recommended ways to order the trails in Delaveaga Park to have the most fun? Here is the link to the map of the park with trail names. http://bayarearides.com/rides/delaveaga/parkmap.jpg

Thanks!
    So Cal Rod

mtbr member
    The trail network at DeLaveaga is so small and dense that, even if you get directions for some specific routes, it's likely that you'll fail to follow them to the letter. However, since the park is so small, you really don't need very specific directions. Here's the advice I'd give for riding at DeLaveaga:

• First of all, don't park at the parking spot marked on the map at my website. As I describe in the text, park at the park's own lots off Branciforte Drive instead.
    • Don't spend time on any wide dirt roads in the park. If you find you're riding on a wide path for more than a quarter of a mile, it probably means you've missed a singletrack alternative that you could have turned onto.
    • Start by weaving back-and-forth across the tightly stacked singletrack trails in the southwestern half of the park. Repeat if you like them.
    • La Corona trail is somewhat wide and is a pretty gentle climb, heading northeast. Branciforte Trail is narrower but has a steep segment. This might mean that climbing La Corona to descend on Branciforte might make good sense, though I wouldn't want to miss the quite fun descent on La Corona either. So, a second climb of La Corona to descend that same trail might also be in order.
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.