Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Paper or plastic?

Damn you Strava!!

Before I go into my rant, let me preface this by saying 1) that you'll waste your time reading this post, 2) I'm a crappy climber and 3) I used not to care about my times up any hill until I downloaded Strava on my phone.

Anyhow, I spent the last week at 6k' doing a bunch of manual work and a little riding, so I was hoping for a big boost in performance when riding today (at least enough to get me out of the bottom quartile). So, I started climbing Mission Peak from the Ohlone side (a really boring ride, but a great test of my fitness level) and actually felt pretty good. I was mashing the cranks (at least, it felt like it) at a better clip than usual, and was huffing/puffing/sweating a ton. On my way up I got encouragement and the occasional smart ass remark from a few hikers. I took a quick breather after the single track, and then quickly proceeded back to try to keep up with a fellow cyclist who cowardly overtook me while I was stopped. I caught up to him at the outhouse where we both stopped and chatted for a few minutes. I then went on my merry way to go after my PR while avoiding a middle age heart attack.

After the ride was over, I eagerly uploaded my ride to Strava servers to see my performance. To my surprise, my times weren't even close to PR. Upon further investigation, I realized that Strava counted the time I was stopped chatting as moving time. Strava bastid computers did my PR in. Even though I realize how silly this whole thing is, I was still pissed. Oh well, back to bottom quartile I go...

You can now go back to your regular programming.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

I stopped to help a dude on a $400 trek with a broken seatpost bolt at Skyline Park. I wasn't as worried about getting this dude back on the trail as I was my time on the Tuetor loop. I laughed when I thought about it.
    End result: the guy got back down the trail without getting a rectal exam by his seatpost and I called out, "Strava, strava!" as I bombed Passini Rd. for a DH KOM. I am impressed by how much influence strava has on my riding these days!

Laker and a Trail Blazer
    I'm sprung in so many ways...

mtbr member
    Yeah same thing here. I have found myself not waiting for my brother when we ride because it throws my times all off. I actually lost KOM the other day, not really sure as I knocked myself out with a personal best on that part of the trail. It is good to keep your eyes on getting better with your times and is a decent measure of where you are compared to where you have been.

I have noticed many inconsistencies with strava as well which I see as a good thing. The lack of precise data forces me to take my times with a grain of salt. Still loved seeing that KOM next to my name...

mtbr member
    Of course it did, otherwise you could sprint for half a climb, stop and have a picnic waiting until you were fresh again and then sprint the second half of the climb. That wouldn't make any sense .
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

NedwannaB

Dang it!

Quote Originally Posted by etuck View Post
    Of course it did, otherwise you could sprint for half a climb, stop and have a picnic waiting until you were fresh again and then sprint the second half of the climb. That wouldn't make any sense .
    You mean it can't work that way? D'oh! I'll have to switch up my riding routines then.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

swag ho Administrator
    Strava... a better stopwatch.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    To my surprise, my times weren't even close to PR. Upon further investigation, I realized that Strava counted the time I was stopped chatting as moving time. Strava bastid computers did my PR in. Even though I realize how silly this whole thing is, I was still pissed. Oh well, back to bottom quartile I go...
    I think that's fair, on segments. Stopping is still counted in segment completion time. Strava removes the stopped time from your overall moving time, however. It does get confused with auto-pause on the GPS devices.

PRETENDURO
    Before Strava, I was an upstanding member of the status quo. Now, thanks to Strava, Im a heartless KOM-pursuing bahstid who is only after the fastest times on uphill segments. In fact, the people I ride with will tell you that Strava made me a competitive prck of a rider, and that my ego led me to racing. LOL!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    I think that's fair, on segments. Stopping is still counted in segment completion time. Strava removes the stopped time from your overall moving time, however. It does get confused with auto-pause on the GPS devices.
    For some reason, I thought that it did not count. Either way, I made good time up the hill, which is more important.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    For some reason, I thought that it did not count. Either way, I made good time up the hill, which is more important.
    Totally, good time is good time and all relative. What's unfair is when Strava counts stop time before you enter the segment because of auto pause on the GPS, and it gets all whacked out . I lost a few PRs that way, on DH segments.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Did a ride this past weekend at Demo and had Strava running. Braille took 1 hour and 4 minutes between stopping to do jumps multiple times, chatting, and other issues.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Funnily enough, Strava didn't count stopped time originally - some of my early KOMs included stops which I thought a bit unfair as folks were trying to steal it, but then not unfair enough that I went back and flagged my own ride

bike buster
    Remember when you used to ride your bike for fun?

I stopped riding with my gps. No more stressing when the stop button gets bumped on my kom run, no more annoying beep when I stop and start, no more not stopping to session jumps because it might cost me a spot near the top of a segment... I'm going back to riding for fun.

Now if I could just go on a ride without someone saying strava, PR or KOM... Dudes are letting strava take over their riding life.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by jdubsl2 View Post
    I still do. Strava is for post ride talk/analysis. I will never be fast, and that's all there is to it. Fast people's social pace is my max effort.

mtbr member

I stopped riding with my gps. No more stressing when the stop button gets bumped on my kom run, no more annoying beep when I stop and start, no more not stopping to session jumps because it might cost me a spot near the top of a segment... I'm going back to riding for fun.

Now if I could just go on a ride without someone saying strava, PR or KOM... Dudes are letting strava take over their riding life.
    Wait.. Strava isn't supposed to be fun? I guess I'm doing it wrong

aka dan51

Remember when YOU used to ride your bike...?

I turned that start/stop beep off on day 1, fukcing annoying. I know when I'm moving, no need to hear a beep telling me so
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

Paper or plastic?

I care about my Strava times, however slow they are, mostly when I ride by myself. And frankly, at Mission Peak, the PB/PR race is the only enjoyable activity since the riding is so awful. In a group, it's all about the ride.

aka baycat
    I am upset at Strava too. The only registered KOMs I have are in my driveway.

bike buster
    I rode with the GPS going on Saturday's motorcycle ride. Had every kom leading to, in and around Uvas reservoir. I changed the activity type to windsurfing before some roadie got his panties in a bunch and had me banned from strava. :-P

Zorg, I mostly rode with the GPS to keep tabs on my own progress but this whole strava craze made me rethink carrying the dumb thing around at all. Still love using it for following gpx tracks when riding out of the local vicinity though.

So it goes.....
    what's Strava.......................there problem solved.
    It's the search....not the find

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Strava makes climb slower. I know that I will never have a KOM on a uphill.
    For two reasons
    1. who rides there XC bike for fun
    2. there are some fast mofos out there

so I just go even slower than normal to protect my ego.

But as for the DH I love Strava.
    If I see Jdub, Dbug, or Rumpfy ahead of me I go easy on the brakes and let the corners drift.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I had my best KOM result when I rode somewhere I had never been before with Strava. There is something to be said about just going out and riding hard without focusing on the segments. I definitely agree it ruins the fun from a ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Strava is a trippy reality check for me as I am in 3rd quartile for overall men but in 4th quartile among my age group of 45-54...

PRETENDURO
    I rode with the GPS going on Saturday's motorcycle ride. Had every kom leading to, in and around Uvas reservoir. I changed the activity type to windsurfing before some roadie got his panties in a bunch and had me banned from strava. :-P

Zorg, I mostly rode with the GPS to keep tabs on my own progress but this whole strava craze made me rethink carrying the dumb thing around at all. Still love using it for following gpx tracks when riding out of the local vicinity though.
    Strava has motorcycling as one of the activities? I had no idea.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast