Junior flyer
    Jun 2010

Damn-Near Full Moon Ride: Skeggs, 3-27

So the full moon gets all the glamour, right? It's the stuff of myths and legends. It's magically delicious. It hits your eye like a big pizza pie.

But on the day before the full moon, the moon is still 98% full (not too shabby) and rises early enough so that we can enjoy it for a bit before the sun goes down on the trail. Hence, the damn-near full moon ride.

Plan: Start meeting at 5:15 in the lot at Skeggs Point--rolling by 5:30.
    Route: Workin' on it, trying to maximize fun s/t., probably drop Manzanita, Salamander, and Resolution. Climbing should be in the low 2k's.
    Pace: Moderate, but nobody gets left for dead. We will need to keep a decent pace, with short regroups, to get done by dark. There are some bailout options if you're not feelin' it. And you should probably bring a light in case we're pushing closing time (7:57) and need to jump on the road at the end.

Please post up if you're coming. I''d like to keep the group size < 5. Pm me with questions or concerns. And I'm not sure why, but I posted it on the calendar (there really IS a calendar). Bring a friend a share a miracle. **

Doug

** Your results may vary, actual miracles are highly unlikely, some restrictions apply, valid in 49 states--sorry Tennessee!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 03-24-2013 at 08:24 PM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Damn-Near Full Moon Ride: Skeggs, 3-27

Watch for the ranger when coming back to the car after dark, they will wait at your car and they may ticket. They are just doing their job, don't blame em. Until you return, to them, your car represents a possible lost hiker and they have to contemplate whether to go looking. So i understand the logic.

I always try to be out before dark and I've been able to get off with a warning. Also, if you return to your car via the road, and are not, should we say, 'on trail after dark', with bike light, you are following the law. I factor that into my route.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Thanks, good tip! Sunset is at 7:27 that day, and the park closes 30 minutes later, so we'll jump out on the road if we're pushing it.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 03-22-2013 at 11:08 AM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    I'm due to make a return to Skeggs after a few months of traveling. I will try to make this ride.

mtbr member
    I'm a maybe but really not a big fan of Skeggs (and their Ahole rangers). Next full moon though, let's plan a Mission Peak run. Legal night riding with wicked views and particularly *****in' during a full moon.
    Peaut butter Tuesday, if you kow what I mea!

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Mission Peak sounds fun. Yeah, I used to think Skeggs was the Promised Land, but you keep taking me on rides that make it look a broken promise!
    Why?

mtbr member
    I've never hung around Skeggs that late, but doesn't all the tree cover negate the effect of the damn near-full moon?

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Well, I'm no astrologer, but I do know this: The moon is bigger than most trees.

But you may be right, and we might only see the moon from our cars post ride, so I'm going to change the meeting place to Skeggs Point. Thanks!

EDIT: Well, it turns out my calendar skills are lacking, and this will actually be the night of the full moon. So the moon won't help us at all on the trail, but at least it should be pretty from the parking lot!

EDIT #2: And...the one person who was coming had to cancel, so I'm going to make other plans. Maybe next month!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 03-26-2013 at 06:09 PM.
    Why?