mtbr member

Dads old track bike

My son and I are going to start on a project to rebuild Dads old track bike.

All I can remember when he gave it to me in the early 70ís he told me he had the frame built in San Jose in 1955 and he would ride it over 17 before I was born in 1957. He was pissed when I tossed the Brooks Saddle and replaced it with a vinyl POS. Man what foolish kid!

We want to restore this to a rider once again and would like to retain as much original as possible. The question I have is; has anyone used a plating service in the Bay Area that they could recommend? I think with a little TLC we might be able to save the crank set and stem.

Thanks David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dads old track bike-img_9145_s.jpg  

Dads old track bike-img_9149_s.jpg  

Dads old track bike-img_9152_s.jpg  

Dads old track bike-img_9158_s.jpg  

Dads old track bike-img_9161_s.jpg  

It's about showing up.
    Wow!

Best wishes.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member

Dads old track bike

Might try Joel Hirschfeld, out in Alameda. Not sure if he does this kind of restoration (although he's very capable of the task), but could at least point you in the right direction I'd think.

http://hirschfeldfab.com/

Good luck with the restoration project. Cool old bike, and history.

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    How about a father/son road trip instead?

Las Vegas Restorations | Rick's Restorations | Rick Dale: Everything old is new again |

It would make a great story. But then again, I like bikes and father/son stories and I could watch yours on tv.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Wow.. That frame, at least from the pictures, looks like it is in great shape. Not sure what your thoughts are on the parts hanging on it, but I hope after the work is done on it, it gets ridden. A lot!

mtbr member
    I am getting excited about this. I found a primo Brooks professional saddle that fits the time of the bike. My son has the wheels to replace one hub and lace, I dropped the crank and stem at Valley Plating and the dude was stoked to work on this project.
    Have a long way to go but itís looking good! Picís when it starts to come together. DT

mtbr member
    Photos of father & son riding that bike at the Hellyer County Park Velodrome is the only proper way to complete this thread!
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

Levi Early
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Photos of father & son riding that bike at the Hellyer County Park Velodrome is the only proper way to complete this thread!
    +1 agreed!

mtbr member
    I'm jealous- that is going to be a great bike. Word of advice from someone who found out the hard way on a 60's Gitane- inspect the cotter on the cottered crank VERY carefully. If it's rusted, it can't be trusted (sorry- I was channeling Johnny Cochrane for a minute).

mtbr member
    May 2009
    How perfect do you want it to be? I would try something like Simichrome polish first. The plating process may cause some metallurgical changes and might be a problem for the components that receive physical stress.

mtbr member
    Dads old track bike-img_3613_s.jpgDads old track bike-img_3619_s.jpgDads old track bike-img_3625_s.jpg

We are trying to keep it as original as we can but there are a few issues that need to be addressed, like cracked rims and front hub. I donít want to have the wheels fly apart when we put the power down so we are replacing marginal parts with time specific replacements.

I will post the crank and stem rebuild next week and am researching the frame builder. This bike is soÖ. cool. I am embarrassed that I let it rot like this.

Yes we will ride Hellyer. DT

mtbr member
    I recommend "Leatherique" for the saddle. There may be other recommendations from Brooks themselves, but that is what I have used.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by plantguy View Post

I will post the crank and stem rebuild next week and am researching the frame builder. This bike is soÖ. cool. I am embarrassed that I let it rot like this.

Yes we will ride Hellyer. DT
    Have you been in touch with Terry Shaw? He's a fountain of knowledge about old track bikes, and would know local builders.

There will be folks at Hellyer who will really like to see this bike. Looks like a great project!

-brian

mtbr member
    Is this who you are talking about? DT
    The Santa Clara Weekly | March 2011 | Issue 13 | Shaw's Cycles Closes Its Doors

Quote Originally Posted by bsprouts View Post
    Have you been in touch with Terry Shaw? He's a fountain of knowledge about old track bikes, and would know local builders.

There will be folks at Hellyer who will really like to see this bike. Looks like a great project!

-brian

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by plantguy View Post

Yep, that's him. I can probably find a way to put you in contact with him. PM me.

mtbr member
    Got the crank and stem back from Valley Plating. Won (on e-bay) a set on vintage Mavic rims that my son is going to lace up next week. Lot's of the old parts are hard to find so I am either making them or replacing with new.
    This is getting good. DT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dads old track bike-img_3785_s.jpg  

Dads old track bike-img_3789_s.jpg  

Dads old track bike-img_3801_s.jpg  

It's about showing up.
    Great progress!
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Found out a little more about the bike. It was most likely built at Fabers, that would account for the Schwinn parts (rear hub and crankset). It would also appear that the bike is much older that I originally thought and some of the parts are much older than mid 50ís.

The wheels are laced and I still have a few more things to find for them. Rear jamb nuts and lock for the gear. But I have come to a stumbling point and am having trouble finding parts for the headset. If anyone knows anything about antique integrated, clamp style headsets please let me know. If I donít find one I will have to get in touch with a frame builder and will see if I can get something made up. I really donít want to do that if possible.

The old image is the only one I have of the bike in its time. Dad is the trailing rider (without helmet) and this was on 17 (now 880) near Brokaw Road before it was open to cars.

Thanks to Cupertino Bikes for all their help. DT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dads old track bike-dad_s.jpg  

Dads old track bike-img_3852_s.jpg  

Dads old track bike-img_3857_s.jpg  

Dads old track bike-img_3866_s.jpg  

Dads old track bike-img_3868_s.jpg  

Last edited by plantguy; 08-30-2013 at 02:45 PM.

mtbr member
    This is the style of headset I am looking for. DT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dads old track bike-1000000117.jpg  

It's about showing up.
    Thanks for sharing this.
    I don't rattle.