mtbr member

CX Bike on Bolinas Ridge

Anyone know how climbing Bolinas Ridge on a CX bike is? I have never been out there and am in Stinson this weekend. Thought I could make a good CX loop of Highway 1 to Bolinas Ridge and back down Bo-Fax road.

I've heard Bolinas Ridge sucks going down on a CX bike but how bout climbing?

Thanks!
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

mtbr member
    I've only ridden it once and I was on a mtb but I'd say doable. I don't remember anything too steep or tech.

mtbr member
    Word, thanks. Anyone comment on the climb from 5 Brooks up to Bolinas Ridge?

aka baycat
    McCurdy? It is stupid steep and really overgrown last time I was out there. Most of the trails leading up from 5 Brooks to the ridge are like that. I usually go down them.

CX bike on Bolinas Ridge isn't bad. It is wide enough you can pick your lines around ruts and other obstacles. I would ride into Olema from Stinson, climb up to the start/end of trailhead and ride out. Heading out that way there is a lot more climbing than coming from Ridgecrest off Tam.

Have you thought about Inverness Ridge on the CX bike? It is really nice ride. Also, stop by Black Mountain Cylcery in Pt. Reyes. Shop owner Mike is a great guy and he has a veritable museum of bikes in there. Plus he makes his own CX frames and rides out in West Marin.

mtbr member
    Sick Ryan, thanks. Yeah, I think that is McCurdy. I'll skip. I have heard Inverness Ridge is pretty rad on the cross bike, someone put up a post with pictures here a few years back. I might be able to find a loop out there Sat AM.

I'm going to try and do that Highway 1 to Olema to Bolinas Ridge climb this evening. Stoked to check out that shop too. I can sell Pt Reyes/Bovine Bakery to wifey no worries.

Now if I could just get out of the office before the weather turns.

bicycle rider
    I've done it a bunch of times. It's fun. don't get a stick caught in your rear derailleur or wheel! Climb up the road, either Bolinas-Fairfax or Olema, then go along the ridge and bomb down whatever this fire road is:

CX Bike on Bolinas Ridge-boridge-descent.jpg

Morgan
    Last edited by morganfletcher; 04-07-2011 at 12:24 PM.

Ariolimax columbianus
    ridden my cross bike fully loaded from olema to the end of bolinas ridge no problems. one fence to jump. we ride most of the singletrack in the santa cruz mtns on cross bikes. hope it's clear out, the views up there are world class.

NedwannaB

Depends?

Quote Originally Posted by etuck
    Anyone know how climbing Bolinas Ridge on a CX bike is? I have never been out there and am in Stinson this weekend. Thought I could make a good CX loop of Highway 1 to Bolinas Ridge and back down Bo-Fax road.

I've heard Bolinas Ridge sucks going down on a CX bike but how bout climbing?

Thanks!
    You mentioned loop. Are you thinking going up 1 to Olema to the t/h on SFD? Then yes that would be your bestest/longest dirt route (and you drop to Stinson at end)

I've done it w/flat bar cx just have to have tires inflated good, and/or pick good lines! morgan's suggestion is good too. I've not gone down that f/rd he's mentioned. Just depends on how much dirt you want on the ride.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

(slight return)
    The route you described was my 2nd mountain bike ride in CA, as a sorta-noob on an old rigid rockhopper frame with slicks. You can do it on a CX bike. I went ccw, Bolinas - BoFax - Bolinas Ridge - Olema - route 1 - Bolinas.

Go back and bring a Full suspension for McCurdy. I love that trail.

-slide

[Edit: If I were riding from Stinson though, I would go up to Pantoll then ride out Ridgecrest to Bolinas Ridge.]
    Last edited by slide mon; 04-07-2011 at 05:02 PM.

(slight return)
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    I've done it a bunch of times. It's fun. don't get a stick caught in your rear derailleur or wheel! Climb up the road, either Bolinas-Fairfax or Olema, then go along the ridge and bomb down whatever this fire road is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boridge descent.jpg 
Views:	723 
Size:	197.6 KB 
ID:	607403

Morgan
    That should be Randall FR. Pretty smooth, good up or down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You could also cut out more of hwy1 on the Olema Valley trail from a bit north of Bo-Fax/hwy1 to 5 Brooks. It paralells hwy 1. It was almost moon dust late last summer, not sure how dry it is now.

mtbr member
    Guys, thanks for all the input. I tried this ride first on Friday night, bashing down Highway 1 to Olema on the road and trying to climb the fire road to Bo-Fax than dropping down......but I underestimated the headwinds on 1 at 5pm. It took me 1:15 to get to Olema, working my ass off. The wind was ridiculous. I got about 3 miles up the ridge and realized I was going to run out of light so I aborted and turned around, blasted back to Stinson on 1 with a sick tailwind......bummed I didn't just ride the road bike but stoked on a good 35 miles before dark.

Saturday early AM I set out to finish the loop, abandoning the road ride I had planned. It was coooold on Sat AM, in the 30's, but I made it to the trail head in an hour and finished the loop in about 3, hustling the whole time but not killing myself. It was wifey's birthday wknd so I was sneaking in my rides. The first few miles up Bolinas Ridge are a bit bumpy and kinda steep but still fun. The last 7 miles or so are CX HEAVEN!! Tons of big ring, up and down stuff. I only saw 2 people in the 11+ miles, one in the first mile and one in the last.

I don't like descending on my CX bike nearly as much as I like climbing so I was happy with the clockwise loop. I am already planning epic mixed terrain rides incorporating the ridge (and some stealthy camping trips). Looking to start this ride from Mill Valley and tack on the 7 sisters and a RR grade descent. Bolinas Ridge is sick!

Last thing......the cows on the lower half are kind of gnarly. I couldn't get em to move for me at least twice. Not gonna lie, a big ass cows mooing all up in my face is kinda intimidating.

Thanks for all the input! The Strava loop is below.

http://app.strava.com/rides/410667

NedwannaB

Must remember

Headwinds dont suck, they blow, as you found.

Curious to what your take is on ccw loop will be?

mtbr member
    JMac, man, those headwinds were stupid. Could hardly keep bike going straight.

If I was going to do this loop CCW on a CX bike I would drop down to highway 1 at Randall. Everything beyond Randall is really choppy b/c of the cow tracks on the trail. Would be like descending Eldridge Grade with more OTB potential cause of ruts. On a full squish bike it would be pretty fun.

Randall trail is about the halfway point on the ridge. From Randall trail south to BoFax = awesome tree covered, isolated fireroad. From Randall north to Highway 1 = cow rutted mess (with really great views).

NedwannaB

No, I hear yah.

Quote Originally Posted by etuck
    JMac, man, those headwinds were stupid. Could hardly keep bike going straight.

If I was going to do this loop CCW on a CX bike I would drop down to highway 1 at Randall. Everything beyond Randall is really choppy b/c of the cow tracks on the trail. Would be like descending Eldridge Grade with more OTB potential cause of ruts. On a full squish bike it would be pretty fun.

Randall trail is about the halfway point on the ridge. From Randall trail south to BoFax = awesome tree covered, isolated fireroad. From Randall north to Highway 1 = cow rutted mess (with really great views).
    Like I said, I did it with a flat bar cx'ish bike, but we dropped Shafter f/rd (i think around same vicinity as Randall) on the way back which cuts that last section of the ridge off. Yeowwzerz going down that way on skinny tires too! We started at the Lagunitas Store so it quikened the ride back to the cold beverages and snacks!