Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    banned
    May 2013

Culvert Trail: WTF Happened?!

Returned from AZ for the first time in two years and rode Culvert the other day.

Jesuz, WTF happened? Thanks to the volunteers and all, but who the fock owned the new design? It is *horrid*. Took out everything fun I loved with the old trail. Any reason it had to be constructed like a bowling alley on acid? Whats wrong with rocks & roots?

Someone else better design the next project in Auburn.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcentric View Post
    Returned from AZ for the first time in two years and rode Culvert the other day.

Jesuz, WTF happened? Thanks to the volunteers and all, but who the fock owned the new design? It is *horrid*. Took out everything fun I loved with the old trail. Any reason it had to be constructed like a bowling alley on acid? Whats wrong with rocks & roots?
    The more a trail sucks the less a spode does.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

HTFU!
    A few others have posted in previous threads that they are not as fond of the new, improved Culvert...of course 'ya can't please everyone, and naturally not everyone shares your opinion.
    I now live near and ride Culvert a few to several times a month and really enjoy the trail and am appreciative of all the volunteers that made it happen.
    Here is a link to the agencies responsible if you really want to voice your opinion directly to them. Culvert Trail Project - Quick update
    and How to build a Culvert Trail berm just right!

Who knows, maybe based on your impassioned plea they may rework it and painstakingly restore it to its original condition, just for you.

Good Luck and welcome to the forum.

mtbr member
    The trend does seem to be less rocks and roots and more smoothness.
    I like to ride bikes.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcentric View Post

Someone else better design the next project in Auburn.
    you are entitled to your opinion of course, and I love rocks and roots too, but I happen to really enjoy the new design. I find I can get my rock & root fill elsewhere, and now on Culvert I have a place to get my berm & flow fix too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    you are entitled to your opinion of course, and I love rocks and roots too, but I happen to really enjoy the new design. I find I can get my rock & root fill elsewhere, and now on Culvert I have a place to get my berm & flow fix too.
    That's a good point. I bet there are more rock and root trails than there are burm and flow trails.
    Personally I learned to ride in New England. When I first moved to CA I was super excited to get away from all the rocks and roots. Now I miss the rocks and roots and will go out of my way to find them. But mostly I end up at Demo.
    I like to ride bikes.

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    +1

p

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by otis24 View Post
    That's a good point. I bet there are more rock and root trails than there are burm and flow trails.
    Personally I learned to ride in New England. When I first moved to CA I was super excited to get away from all the rocks and roots. Now I miss the rocks and roots and will go out of my way to find them. But mostly I end up at Demo.
    Murder's trail is a stupid fun alternate route if you need a rock fix. And it's tech makes the old Culvert look like a smooth "bowling alley on acid" (which it pretty much was).

P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    Murder's trail is a stupid fun alternate route if you need a rock fix. And it's tech makes the old Culvert look like a smooth "bowling alley on acid" (which it pretty much was).

P
    I agree, Murderers (not Murders) is a good tech trail in the area, but even it has been a bit "sanitized" in the last few years. Also, the old Culvert was hardly smooth unlike the new Culvert.

Even though I'm no fan of so called flow trails (read:smooth ribbons), I have no objections to them being built. What I DO object to is replacing old established trails with them.

banned
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnutty View Post
    Even though I'm no fan of so called flow trails (read:smooth ribbons), I have no objections to them being built. What I DO object to is replacing old established trails with them.
    *exactly*

mtbr member
    May 2011

I for one have really grown to love the new Culvert trail. I've been riding that trail for 15 years and always enjoyed its roughness. I was skeptical of the changes at first, but now that I've learned how to ride a flow trail properly, I've grown to love the new Culvert.

With that said, I still love good rocky and techy trails and Auburn has plenty of them. A recent fav of mine is Grizzly trail. Auburn is great, you can link a bunch of trails together and get everything from long easy climbs, hard techy climbs, gnarly rocky scary DH, and fast flowy trails with a few fun features. All in one ride. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

I don't miss the old Culvert anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Elitest thrill junkie
    The old culvert was a "rough" trail? Seriously? Has anyone ever seen ANY technical riding? Rough and technical, the old culvert was not. Fun and fast, it was. Sure, there were a few rocks within and places to air off of, but it was hardly "rough". In the end, people are lazy and it's far easier to build a flat/smooth trail with a trail dragon than hack out interesting singletrack by hand for the most part.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Let's Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by S.O.B. View Post
    A few others have posted in previous threads that they are not as fond of the new, improved Culvert...of course 'ya can't please everyone, and naturally not everyone shares your opinion.
    I now live near and ride Culvert a few to several times a month and really enjoy the trail and am appreciative of all the volunteers that made it happen.
    Here is a link to the agencies responsible if you really want to voice your opinion directly to them. Culvert Trail Project - Quick update
    and How to build a Culvert Trail berm just right!

Who knows, maybe based on your impassioned plea they may rework it and painstakingly restore it to its original condition, just for you.

Good Luck and welcome to the forum.
    if your being sacrastic, I can't tell......................he has a seriously good reason to complain, anyone who didn't know it was reworked into the beginner trail that it is now would be right to come to a local section of a forum to ask wtf?? Yeah, it's ok now, the more you ride it, but really, it's much worse than it was.............S curves on flat with tiny burms do not a fun trail make.............
    Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

mtbr member
    Just have to appreciate it for what it is and it isn't so bad.

Jordan Lopez-ONE Industries Rider Training for Oregon Enduro Series - YouTube

Dropshot Champ!
    saw some guys on road bikes riding it a few weeks back.

lold

Let's Ride!
    nice video, proves how slow the trail is by how much you're having to pedal.........again, it's not a bad trail, it's just so much worse than before, and with all that space had such potential. It's truly and example of how not to design a trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich H. View Post

Sweater

Quote Originally Posted by digthemlows View Post
    nice video, proves how slow the trail is by how much you're having to pedal.........again, it's not a bad trail, it's just so much worse than before, and with all that space had such potential. It's truly and example of how not to design a trail.
    You don't have to pedal, maybe two short spots. It shows that he was hauling (or maybe that I'm really slow)
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***
    I think I strained a pucker muscle

Let's Ride!
    yeah, you don't "have" to pedal, but given the descent and length, you shouldn't need to, the trail doesn't "flow", you can't really "pump" ..............and I know, people will tell me how they can, etc etc............but it's not as good as it could be.......and it's not as fast as it was..............it's ok, I don't ride it anymore, I stick with the trails into Mammoth ...... things change, and I'm not looking for someone to do anything, I just hope this kind of thing doesn't happen again, a GREAT opportunity was screwed up with whomever designed this new trail

eBiker
    ...and it's not as fast as it was...
    No ****! That was part of State Parks requirements for the realignment that State Parks requested!

...I just hope this kind of thing doesn't happen again, a GREAT opportunity was screwed up with whomever designed this new trail
    I'm glad that you can state the you don't like the trail, therefor the designer screwed up the trail. Nice sense of entitlement.

The trail was executed to fit certain design criteria. The old Culvert was so ruined and fast, it was asked to be changed. It was changed within the requests of State Parks. The trail is professionally built and sustainable - and for State Parks, safer for riders and multiuse.

I'm ok with e-whining that you don't like it. But you can't say the designer "screwed up". Because they didn't. They did what was required.

I thought we had covered all of this in the other thread...

P

Let's Ride!
    No ****! That was part of State Parks requirements for the realignment that State Parks requested!

I'm glad that you can state the you don't like the trail, therefor the designer screwed up the trail. Nice sense of entitlement.

The trail was executed to fit certain design criteria. The old Culvert was so ruined and fast, it was asked to be changed. It was changed within the requests of State Parks. The trail is professionally built and sustainable - and for State Parks, safer for riders and multiuse.

I'm ok with e-whining that you don't like it. But you can't say the designer "screwed up". Because they didn't. They did what was required.

P
    Are you the designer?? why are you hurt over this?? Really, the current way it was done is the "ONLY" way huh? I don't believe that, but that's ok......it's obvious that a lot of people don't like it, I hope that's taken into consideration the next time the opportunity comes up to rebuild a trail. I'm not personally attacking the designer, I am attacking the design.......I don't care what the back story is, or that it had to comply with something or other........i'm merely stating it isn't fun and could have been better...whatever person, people, or agency kept it from being good, I hope they listen.........if they dont, whatever, it's not the only trail around, it's just a shame, that's all.............

mtbr member

safer for riders and multiuse.

P
    Judging from the video posted above, this new trail most certainly accomplishes that.................
    Last edited by mtbnutty; 05-17-2013 at 02:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Personally, I really like the work Greg Wells did with FATRAC, Sean Allan and others on the Connector Trail years back. It would be good to bring in Greg's design expertise to future projects if he is available (I know he retired, but he used to consult). The Connector Trail is a well-loved trail from what I've observed.

Also, the Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship does great trail design/building and has a licensed/insured mechanized crew + big volunteer base available for projects just like this. They produce excellent work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich H. View Post

Knee pads and moto goggles, really?
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnutty View Post
    Judging from the video posted above, this new trail most certainly accomplishes that.................
    Can you go that fast on that trail?

I can't.

Neither can you. And the vast majority of other riders.

That is why that video is so impressive.

Try again.

P

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Knee pads and moto goggles, really?
    Hellz yeah brah, toad-alley helps when you're shreddin' gnar fire roads!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast