Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Crowd at Sea Otter Classic

Thinking of checking out the SOC this year. Not to ride but just go hang out and watch.

Is the crowd pretty rowdy? Do they drink there?

Thinking of taking the young kids so just wondering.

Also, is there anywhere there to ride outside of the race, just for fun...a pump track for kids, etc?

Thanks

swag ho Administrator
    Oh man, that's pretty strange how you phrase the question.

Yes, the event is very, very family friendly. Folks can ride the course, ride in a kid's track or a pump track. But there are so many people that it is quite difficult to wrangle kids and their bikes or ride around if one can't maneuver foot/bike traffic very well.

And yes, the people drink beer. Not too much, but good quality stuff whenever the opportunity allows.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Not sure how the question was worded weird...maybe Im missing something! Wouldnt be the first time.

The kids Im taking are newbies so maybe we'll just watch this time around.

mtbr member
    It's not a Raider game. Don't worry.

mtbr member
    The crowds are tiny compared to a normal race event down at Laguna Seca...such as MotoGP, where its common to have to park at Monterrey University and be bussed over. Its very family friendly, but expect to walk a lot...even if you bring a bike- it can get difficult to maneuver through the crowds with a bike.

Puro Vida!

I'm thinking of going as well with the fam. Would it be better to take a stroller and just walk-my son is only 2 and a half? Also I take it there will be vendors? Mostly shirts etc? Or do they sale bikes and parts as well? Oh and last one for now-is parking a issue-I think this was somewhat answered already?

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by norcal209 View Post
    Not sure how the question was worded weird...maybe Im missing something! Wouldnt be the first time.

The kids Im taking are newbies so maybe we'll just watch this time around.
    "Do they drink there?"

It's that comment. Beer is a big part of the mountain biking culture so it is very often present and revered. But it is controlled. Everybody has kids and is around kids so good behavior is inherent.

There's a lot of kid events on the Sea Otter website. Check them out and some of them might fit the bill.

Volkswagen Sea Otter Classic - April 18-21, 2013

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I took the family to SOC for the first time last year on Sunday, and the kids had a lot of fun. I have 2 boys (10 and 6) and a girl (8). We brought their bikes and they had no problem riding them around. Parking was easy, and it was very family-friendly. I would only worry about rowdiness if you plan to camp.

They have a demo area in the back with obstacle courses and bikes for both adults and kids, so even if you don't bring the bikes, they can still ride the track. They have kid's races during the day, although they're more like a "ride around the track and receive a medal" kind of thing. The kids each walked away with a t-shirt and water bottle.

Besides the demo area, there are bouncy houses set up in all of the grassy areas.

One other piece of advice: make sure you check in at the top of the hill before you head to the race area.

Dropshot Champ!
    a few years ago, DS and DH used to be raging parties. Heckling galore...drunk people everywhere. It was fun as hell. Last 2 years or so it's felt like a library on the dh course.

Air Pirate
    This cracked me up. What Francois was REALLY saying here:

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    And yes, the people drink beer. Not too much, but good quality stuff whenever the opportunity allows.

fc
    is something to the sound of: "And make sure when you stop by the MTBR tent you bring some bottles of good quality beer for Francois and company...."
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    "Do they drink there?"
    Ah OK...

Cool then. I'll have a few myself.

PRETENDURO
    Iíll be driving down there with my wife and kids bright and early Sunday morning for my XC race. Beer drinking will happen at some point.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Paper or plastic?
    If you can swing it, go on Friday. Crowds are much much smaller, and you can easily ride everywhere. Saturday, Sunday, it gets a bit crowded.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    If you can swing it, go on Friday. Crowds are much much smaller, and you can easily ride everywhere. Saturday, Sunday, it gets a bit crowded.
    Yeah, I did Friday last year and kept my bike with me instead of parking it with the bike valet parking because the crowds were thin. Was nice to be able to ride around between the different areas, but it was kind of a hassle to lug around through the trade-show area.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nelson, you'll be doing a LOT of walking, bring the stroller or plan on carrying your son. Be aware though that at some point you'll need to carry it up the stairs of the track overpass so watch how much gear you put in it. Also, a blanket to sit on is a good idea, as there's not a ton of benches and your son/wife will want to rest at some point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    I'm thinking of going as well with the fam. Would it be better to take a stroller and just walk-my son is only 2 and a half? Also I take it there will be vendors? Mostly shirts etc? Or do they sale bikes and parts as well? Oh and last one for now-is parking a issue-I think this was somewhat answered already?
    Bring the stroller like gurp said. There will be vendors with shirts, bikes, parts, food, you name it, for sale. Parking is not an issue, but you will likely have a short walk from the car to event. The weather can be unpredictable at Laguna Seca...could be hot and sunny or cold and windy. Be prepared for both. Sunscreen, water...

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    (QUOTE) Crowd at Sea Otter Classic
    Thinking of checking out the SOC this year. Not to ride but just go hang out and watch.

Is the crowd pretty rowdy? Do they drink there?

Thinking of taking the young kids so just wondering.

Also, is there anywhere there to ride outside of the race, just for fun...a pump track for kids, etc?

Thanks (QUOTE)

There is something for everyone.
    Including...Beer.

Crowd at Sea Otter Classic-ba-oktoberfest18_0504167769.jpg

Last edited by GoGoGordo; 04-09-2013 at 10:23 AM.
    Banned for showing Boobies.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Anyone have an idea of what the traffic will be like getting in/out of SOC on Saturday? Is it terrible stop-and-go for miles or generally pretty smooth?

Should I be aiming to get in early before traffic backs up?

Thanks!

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by anwleung View Post
    Anyone have an idea of what the traffic will be like getting in/out of SOC on Saturday? Is it terrible stop-and-go for miles or generally pretty smooth?

Should I be aiming to get in early before traffic backs up?

Thanks!
    Yup, get there early.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Puro Vida!

What's early?

Dropshot Champ!
    depends. get there early, then stand in line to get in. Or get there a little later and have a tad more traffic, but get right in.

it's a wash imo, go whenever.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    depends. get there early, then stand in line to get in. Or get there a little later and have a tad more traffic, but get right in.

it's a wash imo, go whenever.
    I would say get to the entrance off the highway at 8. Sitting in your car, inching up the hill, wasting gas is no fun. If you have to stand in line later, it's a little more pleasant. 'Course, I could be way off. Keep in mind that each day gets more & more people, so take that into account.

And, if you get there too early, the booth-manners will still be straggling in from a late night of drunken deboucheries. :P
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member

Good job!

I hope they let Volkswagen owners park down close next to the main entrance like last year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crowd at Sea Otter Classic-otter.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Wait, so the XC course is open to be ridden during the event? I assumed is a closed off course???

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Any parking tips/recommendations? For example, at the SC festival they said to park at some beach, and it was $10 for the day. I went Saturday morning and parked a short bike ride away at the Coldwell Banker.

I'm thinking I'll probably head out Sunday morning early to watch DH practice and browse the festival, and then watch the DH finals and see anything else I missed before I leave. Any reason to not bring a bike? It would at least make it quicker to get from the car the booths and racecourse if nothing else. Just don't want it to turn into a drag to bring around with me.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast