King Of Tooth Tarter

Cross Canyon Tree Clear Ride

Well, not a far ride. The main thing here was clearing all the downed trees on Cross Canyon Trail. And boy, were there a lot! I started tree clearing with an unexpected felled tree on Rock Tower Trail shortly after the left turn from Elderberry Spring Trail. Not too large but a nice warm-up.

Before:

After:

I started down Cross Canyon and all clear. I knew I had a big job soon. Quite a long way down I came across a giant felled branch. This was what Patrick and I worked on to make it reasonable, just a bike lift section. Still, it killed the fun downhill so it must go. I imagine horses and hikers didn't really appreciate it either. So, out came Kangasaw. One branch was a good 20" diameter, the biggest. A large job as I cleared all the branches around, then worked on some very sizeable branches. Herculean effort but managed to push off all the branches. It is very rideable to the very bottom.

Before:

After:

I came across two other branches across the trail that I didn't expect after the wall. Not too bad but a definite slow down and walk over.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Finally I arrived at the large tree down that someone made a go-around. And a very annoying one for me at least. I always hated it but it was a very big and painful job getting it over the edge. Slowly I sawed branches on the extremities, one after the other. Minimizing it and soon, after a lot of sizeable cuts, I was down to a giant trunk. I sawed this in half and pivoted the smaller side over the edge. Then, with great effort, it was the monster! Over the side it went and I screamed in anger, exhaustion and mirth. The old trail is back.

After this I found another tree fall near Willow Ridge Road. A hell of a lot of branches later it was off the trail. I can now say that ALL of Cross Canyon is bereft of tree clogage.

Before:

After:

Kangasaw and Plymmer triumph again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Awesome.

More Torque
    Great work, Roy...thanks!

-D

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks Roy!!

mtbr member
    Hell yea, thanks big time!
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Oh Kangasaw - your awesomeness is unmatched!

Great job on that Cross Canyon tree - it's been months since we cleaned that up - I'm surprised it's still there!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Roy, that's an awesome job on all those trees. Thanks!
    There are probably more trees down now after today's big storm. You'll be busy.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

Is now still the time?
    Now that's real trail work! Excellent.
    SOrCerer