mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Crockett shortcuts

The Crockett Hills Regional Park trail system is starting to see some social trails. Some riders are cutting the corners, going straight down, getting off the designated flow trails, etc. I am currently sitting at the Bicycle Trails Council of the Eastbay’s board meeting. The BTCEB has sponsored trail work events at Crockett, is focused on a new bridge, and are building a great relationship with various stakeholders there. The group is currently discussing how best to prevent offtrail activity. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Sometimes fences and signs may not work for various reasons. The reasons can be as simple as park signage or planting rules. The trails were laid out by biking professionals. It is the first East Bay Regional Park District bike-focused park (out of their 65 plus parks). We hope it can serve as an example of what is possible at other parks.

Thanks for your consideration.

mtbr member
    I just saw a guy do this on Sugar City DH recently. Not even sure why you need a shortcut there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Do you have photos w/examples?

Are they Strava Enduro lines? Are they avoiding something like a mud pit or techinical challenge or cattle?

It's about showing up.

Soiling Eden

Juanroberts is being politic and kind. At the same time he may be preaching to the choir here on MTBR.

EBRPD's Jim Townsend supported the initial ideas for mountain biking at Crockett Hills after many years of BTC's building a relationship with him.

Since 2008 the BTC has either participated in or organized trail workdays in conjunction with REI, Clif Bar, Hillride and Norcal high school racing at this site.

One of the top trail builders in the country, Jim Jacobson, not only initially cut the trails in 2014 but found a way to increase the length and interest of them. A group of us rode the trails in September of that year and they were rough but very promising. With additional work the first with others in the far southern areas toward the Eagles Nest slowly in development.

In February 2015 we mocked up the first maps by combining extent Park maps and our GPS positioning. During the next few months we had a soft opening and printed and developed the most up-to-date maps available passing them out to everybody who showed up.

We manage parking which overflowed onto the streets of Crockett And advise the park district and ways to manage it. We addressed the first local complaints from people who did not want to share the park. We directed writers to local businesses to impress the community with the contributions that we have made.

Over the years we put in more thousands of hours through the BTC and generous volunteers to groom the trails. The venue became a destination for riders from throughout the area. The reputation of this venue was pronounced from as far away as Moab.

This is a real gem. Short and sweet; we put a lot of time and energy into this. Interestingly we had to close down half of the trails out of respect for nesting Eagles in 2015. I personally inspected the area around that blockade on a daily basis for three weeks. Not one track was found, not one, passed that barrier.

And now…we have the usual ass-hats wandering off the trail. These riders just seem to show up, sooner or later, and mess things up for everybody. Personally, as I am no longer administratively involved with the BTC or the politics around it with the park district, I would like to suggest that we bring back beotch-slapping to every idiot that does this, soiling our nest and ruining our reputation in the community.

First map below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crockett shortcuts-150219-print8511.jpg  

I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post
    Do you have photos w/examples?

Are they Strava Enduro lines? Are they avoiding something like a mud pit or techinical challenge or cattle?
    Sorry I didn't feel like stopping to take a pic of it. I don't really know what the point was. It's Crockett Hills so there's no technical challenge. He wasn't avoiding anything other than quite a few corners. I still caught him at the bottom so I don't even know what the point of taking a shortcut was when it cuts out so many turns for one long straight.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Maybe its unintentional. Like they blew the corner, held on for dear life..and couldnt stop....Its happened to me..

mtbr member
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Mackenzie View Post
    He wasn't avoiding anything other than quite a few corners. I still caught him at the bottom so I don't even know what the point of taking a shortcut was when it cuts out so many turns for one long straight.
    I am confused - if you want to just avoid corners, why not stick to the fire roads? The point of Crockett is that it's winding single track.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    I am confused - if you want to just avoid corners, why not stick to the fire roads? The point of Crockett is that it's winding single track.
    I really don't understand either. I thought maybe he just wanted something steeper and straighter, which could be found nearby at another park with lots of fireroads.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If someone wants steep trails ,

No need to cause problems at Crockett ,there are plenty of steep (legal) trails all around the East Bay.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Maybe its unintentional. Like they blew the corner, held on for dear life..and couldnt stop....Its happened to me..
    He was going way too slow to blow a corner lol. I gave a 1 minute gap from the bench up top and still caught him at the bottom despite the shortcut.