Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by sosburn View Post
    Clicked on this expecting a video of a cow shredding crockett hills.
    Disappointed.
    I LOL'd

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Just hiked out and check tree frog. Still very wet. Needs another week or two.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just back from a ride at CH this afternoon...amazing weather, although we sure could use some rain. Trails at CH are in superb shape right now. A few damp spots and one or two squishy spots towards the bottom of tree frog, but basically superb with not a puddle anywhere.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post
    Just back from a ride at CH this afternoon...amazing weather, although we sure could use some rain. Trails at CH are in superb shape right now. A few damp spots and one or two squishy spots towards the bottom of tree frog, but basically superb with not a puddle anywhere.
    As good as 3 years ago?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No JC, not quite the same. Sugar City and Tree Frog are bumpier than they were...but are still a ton of fun. I still love riding there, especially now that Soaring Eagle has been fixed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Has anyone ridden Crockett the past couple of days? Wondering if it has dried out from recent rains...Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Has anyone ridden Crockett the past couple of days? Wondering if it has dried out from recent rains...Thanks
    See my post here:
    Favorite "green hill" rides for spring

tl;dr
    Rode today, it was moderately bovine trashed up until Sugar City, which was extremely overgrown. I did not go to Tree Frog. It was dry on the parts I rode, but there is a recent report from mtbproject.com claiming Tree Frog is super muddy and overgrown.

mtbr member
    In a BTCEB email it was mentioned that the overgrowth may get cut on May 7th.

mtbr member
    Horribly overgrown on the flow portion.

So many deep slimey piles of cow sh*t on the trial that goes from the tunnel up to the pad that I returned via the fire road.

It looks like the overall surface of the trails is not in bad shape. No deep craters from hooves

Oddly enough, the back trail (Treefrog?) is probably in the best shape of all trails in the park

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I guess the cows are just filling in the potholes! Sounds like I should not bother there at least until the cow pies dry up and the park district (or whoever) brings a weed whacker to the overgrown sections.

mtbr member
    I'll also add that the poison oak is rampant. Thereupon establishing it's wicked authority on my arm 3 days after my excursion

mtbr member
    Is it just me or do a lot of people skip out on Tree Frog?

Tree frog is the main reason to ride Crockett if it's ridable.

mtbr member
    Yeah I'm always surprised to see people usually wanting to head back to the car after sugar city. Even looking at a few friends strava they tend to just head back after sugar city.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Tree frog is also my favorite...I ride both SC and TF every time I ride CH....Although I also like Soaring eagle for its simplicity and views....hopefully the trails get cleaned up soon. Wish I had an industrial weed whacker, might do it myself if I did!

I'm really diggin it!
    Tree frog is also my favorite...I ride both SC and TF every time I ride CH....Although I also like Soaring eagle for its simplicity and views....hopefully the trails get cleaned up soon. Which I had an industrial weed whacker, might do it myself if I did!
    Just be sure to look into the prohibition on mechanical tools during raptor/owl nesting season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Mackenzie View Post
    Is it just me or do a lot of people skip out on Tree Frog?
    I had plans to do both, but having never been before and losing some time due to the conditions up to the creek, I turned around because (a) I was running out of daylight and (b) I was afraid conditions on the far side might be worse. For sure looking forward to getting a chance to check it out when I know it's all clear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee29 View Post
    I'll also add that the poison oak is rampant. Thereupon establishing it's wicked authority on my arm 3 days after my excursion
    Once I got up over the road it wasn't that bad, but, the amount of cows on the trail and the liquid shit everywhere mad it difficult to enjoy. I went down Sugar city and was amazed at how over grown it was and figured tree Frog wouldn't be worth it.

Ended up riding back on the fire road so I didn't have to deal with all the cows and the unmovable bulls. I was covered in cow shit.

I am deathly afraid of poison oak and I had to do some limbo like moves to get around it. There are a few sections where it's encroaching on the trail on the climb out of the parking lot.

Curious how bad the poison oak is on Tree Frog.

Is there a reason people don't park on Cummings Skyway to avoid that first climb?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I for one like that first climb...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    Is there a reason people don't park on Cummings Skyway to avoid that first climb?
    I think people were having their cars broken into?

Sounds like Crockett Hills is back to it's old tricks, good conditions about 5% of the time. Crap the other 95%.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

jrm
    mtbr member
    Isnt this the time of year they rototill the heck out of everything

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I must have some weird resistance against that stuff. This past weekend I had all the green stuff along the sides of Sugar City touching my arms and legs, and the previous weekend same story all over Henry Coe trails. I have a tiny itchy spot on each leg, but nothing bad.

Just did a hike and the main single track to the heli pad has been weed whacked. The cows have helped too, although the evidence is all over the trail. Ticks are all over the place too. I was careful and still found one on me.

mtbr member
    Anyone ride Crockett this past week? Conditions?

mtbr member
    If no one responds I'll go check it out on Saturday. Well either way I'm checking it out Saturday to break in a new bike. An email I saw from BTCEB said there would be some trail maintenance this week.

Single track on far side has been mowed and is 90% clear. Didn't make it all the way bake to tree frog.

mtbr member
    Heading there tomorrow. Will report.

mtbr member
    Short answer. Give it at least a week. The crew was still out there weedwacking Sugar City while we were there. The foreman said they would not finish today and would be back Tuesday.

mtbr member
    Sugar City was cleared from the top until about three quarters of a mile from the end. Very abruptly you were into tall overgrowth. Yes, that six inch wide slot in front of my bike is the
    trail. You can see here that even where it was cut back, the dead vegetation was strewn across the trail, making it slippery. Especially in the switchbacks.

Crockett Hills - EXTREME bovine trail trashing!-img_4686.jpg

Looking back up after going through the muddy area below Sugar City

Crockett Hills - EXTREME bovine trail trashing!-img_4696.jpg

This is the exit of Tree Frog. It looked overgrown too so we didn't climb up that hill at all, because we didn't want to come out through this. We did go up the fire road a bit to see what it was like. You can barely tell Goldfinch trail ever existed. Just grass out there now.

Crockett Hills - EXTREME bovine trail trashing!-img_4697.jpg

The work crew showed up on Big Valley (fire road) trail just as we were pausing to brush a ton of ticks off our clothes. A crew cab truck full of guys with weedwackers. The foreman said they'll need at least one more work day at it to finish Sugar City, and that would be next week. I asked him if he knew about Tree Frog and he just shrugged. Not part of his assignment.

Crockett Hills - EXTREME bovine trail trashing!-img_4701.jpg

These little bastards. Must have brushed a couple dozen of them off.

Crockett Hills - EXTREME bovine trail trashing!-img_4709.jpg

After the ride we were planning on going to Valona Deli in Crockett, but its windows were all covered up and it appears to be out of business. That place was great. I was bummed. We went to a Mexican place off of Willow Drive a few exits up the freeway. It was OK.

Salmon tacos:

Crockett Hills - EXTREME bovine trail trashing!-img_4718.jpg

After I got home a thorough search turned up one last passenger that had come along.

Crockett Hills - EXTREME bovine trail trashing!-img_4721.jpg

All in all, a bit more of adventure than we bargained for.

mtbr member
    thanks for the update! I will take your advice and hold off for another week or so.

mtbr member
    Does anyone else like how drifty sugar city gets after they trim the weeds but before they clear out the cut weeds?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by somanygoodbikes View Post
    Sugar City was cleared from the top until about three quarters of a mile from the end. Very abruptly you were into tall overgrowth. Yes, that six inch wide slot in front of my bike is the
    trail. You can see here that even where it was cut back, the dead vegetation was strewn across the trail, making it slippery. Especially in the switchbacks.

All in all, a bit more of adventure than we bargained for.
    Great report / trail update. Appreciated!

mtbr member
    Any recent updates on the conditions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Any recent updates on the conditions?
    I rode there Sunday and it was terrible. The bottom 1/4-ish of Sugar City was overgrown, but not that bad compared to Tree Frog. Tree Frog was overgrown on maybe half, but it was all thistles. I'm still picking thistle thorns out of my fingers, and my legs and forearms are covered in small punctures. It just...sucked.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Edwards loop was good, and soaring eagle was mostly clear. If you can do a few laps of that and not hit the other side of the hill it would be much better IMO

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What a bummer..why can't they just clear off all the trails every spring...the ticks really make me nervous as well. I guess I'm holding off longer before riding there.

mtbr member
    Does BTCEB no longer do trailwork there? Is it handled only by the parks administration or whatever? I haven't seen emails from them regarding trailwork recently.

mtbr member
    Does BTCEB no longer do trailwork there? Is it handled only by the parks administration or whatever? I haven't seen emails from them regarding trailwork recently.
    I think it was touched on someplace in this thread, but as I understand it, EBRPD has contracts with union workers for trail maintenance, so volunteer trail work days are minimal.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The BTCEB has a partnership with East Bay Parks at Crockett Hills , this is a formal written agreement. This is the only park that has such a agreement. The BTCEB can do certain trail maintenance jobs without supervision from park staff. The agreement started after the rains stopped. So far the has been a few small jobs that have been handled by a few BTCEB trail volunteers . In the future look for trail work days on Meetup.com under the the BTCEB page.

mtbr member
    Any recent updates on trail conditions? - thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    My friends who rode there last Friday sed lower Sugar City still needs mowing, AND it should be renamed Tick City!

Call Crocker & ask about mowing?

Catfish ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Has anyone ridden CH lately? Curious if things have improved with everything drying off and maybe getting cut?

mtbr member
    Just rode it today. IMO trail conditions are good right now. A few spots on tree frog are kind of overgrown but the trail is perfectly rideable. No need for hike-a-bike or turning around. Everyone go ride 'cause I feel like these are the types of trails that get better with wear when more people are riding them.

mtbr member
    Just rode it today. IMO trail conditions are good right now. A few spots on tree frog are kind of overgrown but the trail is perfectly rideable. No need for hike-a-bike or turning around. Everyone go ride 'cause I feel like these are the types of trails that get better with wear when more people are riding them.
    How many ticks did you get? Wont ride there because of all the ticks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHROMAG19 View Post
    How many ticks did you get? Wont ride there because of all the ticks.
    None.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    None.
    ..that you found.

mtbr member
    Hit CH again today. Probably a bad judgement call to have ridden in the middle of the day when it was really hot. Almost collapsed after the climb to Tree Frog. Trails are still good though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    For those you that know the following trails, is CH "fun enough" that it's worth the trip out to Crockett if my local rides are JMP, Waterdog and Chabot? I figure if I'm driving that far I might as we'll cross the Richmond bridge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HrznRider View Post
    For those you that know the following trails, is CH "fun enough" that it's worth the trip out to Crockett if my local rides are JMP, Waterdog and Chabot? I figure if I'm driving that far I might as we'll cross the Richmond bridge.
    I'd say no. Every time I go I wish I would have ridden like... anywhere else. And it's only a 20 minutes drive from my house.

mtbr member
    Definitely not worth it if your local ride is JMP. In my case I have Briones or some scattered steep singletrack in Martinez for my local rides and Crockett is fun if I want some flowey trails without driving far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I don't get out too far these days and I spend most of my time at my local rides (Chabot, JMP, Water Dog). Just seeing if CH is worth it if I do find some time to drive out further. Probably better spent at China Camp or Tamo I guessing. Thanks for the info fellas.

mtbr member
    Not sure about China Camp but definitely Tamo. Isn't China Camp flattish?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've done most of China Camp and half of Crockett in the worst conditions possible earlier this spring... I think Crockett was still more fun. CC has one sort of fun descent but it's green/blue at best, singletrack-ish. Tamo is in another league.

mtbr member
    I wish there was something like Tamo in the Concord / Martinez area. Really fun for my riding style.

mtbr member
    Head over to the backside of CC. Way more fun/varied terrain over there with some pretty tech xc and dh stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by HrznRider View Post
    It's fun enough to go once.
    Twice, dunno.

mtbr member
    Crockett Hills is a shadow of its former self.

JMP is my local park so it takes almost no effort for me to ride there. Even pedaling there through the neighborhood only takes 10-15 minutes. In spite of that, Crockett was enticing enough that I rode there 12 times in 2015-16. Once the cows messed it up and it started getting overgrown badly after the spring rains, I've only been back once each in 2017 and 2018.

It is probably worth checking out once for almost anyone, just for curiosity's sake. It does get warm there in the summer so check the forecast first.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've always assumed it's worth the time to check out just to mix things up without going too far. I'll wait for folks to give the thumbs up with regards to the conditions getting better.

mtbr member
    I saw a lot of happy riders out there yesterday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sounds like it is time for me to start riding there again..only coming from Lafayette, so not too far. Should be a lot fewer ticks around with the dry and heat now...

mtbr member
    Rode Crockett on Saturday. Trails are generally in good condition other than large quantities of fecal matter. Did not pick up any ticks. Lots of PO!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rode CH this afternoon. Saw two hikers and two other bikers. No ticks, that's the good news. I've been riding CH ever since they opened the new singletrack, and I have to say that while I still love riding there, the trails were not all that good. The climb up from the parking lot to the road is in good shape. Soaring eagle is in pretty good shape..a bit bumpy but fine. Sugar city has been weed whacked some, but not enough. Lots of poop on the trail. The real issue is tree frog, which is really not in very good shape. Badly overgrown in many spots, I felt like I had a playing card strapped to my bike I was getting so much noise from little tree branches that had gotten stuck in my spokes. Had to stop a couple of times to move big branches off the trail. Tons of debris on the trail. Tons of poop on the trail as well. Lots of obstacles to watch out for, and the trail itself hasn't held up well.

I think the basic problem with CH is that the terrain needs to be maintained given the soil, cows and climate conditions, but it isn't maintained...or just a bare minimum. Definitely worse than last year at this time. The underlying trails are imo still the best in the east bay, I just wish EBPD would maintain them or let someone else do it in earnest. I'd pay to ride there if the trails were kept in good shape.

mtbr member
    Lots of cow shit today but still fun. There were tons of people riding today. Even saw a guy riding up Sugar City lol. Fire department was doing some helicopter training as well. It was kinda neat watching them practice.

mtbr member
    What's the deal with evening riding at Crockett? E fat bike policy?

Hipster
    Rode this morning, sugar city shoulders have been mowed and tree frog is in decent shape.

mtbr member
    Rode here again today. Some spots on Tree Frog are pretty loose. Watch out for cowshit and go have fun.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234