Junior flyer
    Jun 2010

Crash/Rescue in Annadel

Be careful out there, especially on non-official trails: Firefighters rescue injured mountain biker at Annadel State Park | PressDemocrat.com

Healing vibes, bro.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 03-18-2013 at 02:36 PM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    good thing he was not biking alone
    I bet you'd do the same if they was you!

~~~
    Wow. The tone of the article is really "Look at how much trouble this mountain biker caused".

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I was out walking the dog and saw the heli pick him up, it looked like he was between ridge and marsh on the west side of Bennett Mountain, is that unofficial trail that rough?

NedwannaB
    Rough is relative. Not sure which trail but front end washout to forehead on a root, rock or otherwise can do you in. I've seen nasty faceplant wipeouts from guys biffing on a wheelstop curb in the parking lot. Let's not be too quik to judge trail location or conditions as the culprit....
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    True, one can crash anwhere. I was just curious, since I ride at Annadel a lot, but I never ride unofficial trails, so I often wonder what the conditions are since they probablty don't see as heavy of use as the official trails do. Anyway, hoping for a speedy recovery for the rider!

Medium?
    Many of the unofficial trails are smooth and buff, better condition than the average trail there. I've heard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy View Post
    Many of the unofficial trails are smooth and buff, better condition than the average trail there. I've heard.
    True.

When I had to be rescued after breaking my femur, I was very glad to be on an official trail that was easy to give directions to the firefighters.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

JFR
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tburger View Post
    Wow. The tone of the article is really "Look at how much trouble this mountain biker caused".
    I'm not so sure. The descriptiveness makes it interesting and a well written piece. The same sort of details are included for hiker rescues and the author didn't really make that big of a deal over the unofficial trail usage, just the facts.

People getting injured in the woods does make a lot of trouble for rescuers and it is considered news worthy. It goes with the territory here and I don't really think we got intentionally slammed, although I agree this kind of attention is not the good kind.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by JFR View Post
    I'm not so sure. The descriptiveness makes it interesting and a well written piece. The same sort of details are included for hiker rescues and the author didn't really make that big of a deal over the unofficial trail usage, just the facts.

People getting injured in the woods does make a lot of trouble for rescuers and it is considered news worthy. It goes with the territory here and I don't really think we got intentionally slammed, although I agree this kind of attention is not the good kind.
    Yeah, more the "tone" of the public post's that followed. Some of them seemed one sided. But I'm sure it be quite a different "tone" from them if it was a relative "lost" or "out there to do onesself harm" that the SAR and community posse's would be out walking aimlessly for days/weeks looking, hoping to find.....

Which reminds me, have they ever found tht 6'-6" naked guy that was wandering around up there several weeks ago?

mtb'er
    But when the local equestrian (Placer County based) bike haters read the story, they fixate mostly on the "illegal" trail component, as if crashing on legal trails is an impossibility. Always "reporting" with hyperbole (firefighters couldn't find him??)... any opportunity to take a jab at mt. bikers, while pretending they represent all trail users.
    Oh I'm sure the writer is so thankful the mt. biker was saved

Park Watch Report -=- Mt. biker breaks neck on illegal trail

Does anyone know if the trail this happened on was built by bicyclists, or was it a long time social trail that everyone has been using?

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Does anyone know if the trail this happened on was built by bicyclists, or was it a long time social trail that everyone has been using?
    Yes........

Based on the "general description" of the incident the area is/has been frequented regularly by multi-users on foot, both 2 and 4 feet based on evidence of gouges caused by semi-circle steel implements and piles of recycled grains.....and the occasional trace of soft round hoops.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    do the people commenting on the article realize that if they use their facebook credentials, it will have their PICTURE and NAME floating alongside the comment? i would think that the relative loss of anonymity would increase civility a bit...
    94 Specialized Rockhopper