mtbr member

Crank Brothers Kronolog - am I missing something?

I'm installing a crank brothers kronolog post but the clamps do not allow the saddle to pivot down (pretty much just up). Am I missing something or is this a serious design flaw? The lowest I can pivot the saddle is still too "nose up" for me (see attached crappy iphone pic).

Thoughts?

Crank Brothers Kronolog - am I missing something?-img_0894.jpg

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I don't know for sure, but will the clamp pivot around 180 degrees so now your range is more down than up?
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Let's ride SuperModerator
    It is likely on backwards (clamp) like he said.

I'd return it. ;-)

Elitest thrill junkie
    Return it, the entire design is seriously flawed, after a few weeks/month, the indentations on the seatpost become worn and it starts slipping. It's widely known.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    If it's one of the ones manufactured in the last 6 mo, it shouldn't fail as quickly. I just had mine rebuilt after a year of use at which point it was slipping pretty badly. The CB CS is great. I spoke with them over the phone before they shipped it back and he said they're coming out with a free of charge update later this summer that should make a huge difference. The post is on backwards in your pics; by default the cable routing should be facing forward. There are instructions in the box about taking it apart and swapping it so the cable is run out the back. It requires a park red pin spanner and 20 minutes of your time. Pictoral here:

Review: Crank Brothers Kronolog Dropper Post ? Weighed, Dismantled & Ridden

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    wow another upgrade? i got my post from sea otter 2012, since then had it returned maybe 4 months ago and they swapped out some internals, put the flex wire on it and the green indicator on the lever

is there another upgrade coming up as well?

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Crank Brothers has GREAT customer service.

Of course, they get loads of practice. : )
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    Crank Brothers has GREAT customer service.

Of course, they get loads of practice. : )
    This is the nicest way ever of saying their stuff sucks.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by darnelli View Post
    wow another upgrade? i got my post from sea otter 2012, since then had it returned maybe 4 months ago and they swapped out some internals, put the flex wire on it and the green indicator on the lever

is there another upgrade coming up as well?
    Yup. They did the same thing with my post; I got mine 2 weeks before Sea Otter '12 @ their Laguna office and handed it in for service @ this year's SOC. He said another upgrade coming on top of that, didn't give any more details other than it would be free of charge.

CBs stuff looks great and blingy; just seems their Taiwanese production tolerances are not very tight. I've had good luck with their pedals and I have a set of original Mallets that still spin smooth with no wing play and just did the upgrade on a set of original candy sl that had some spring wear after 6 or 8 seasons, I forget.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    You know, we really appreciate you guys being the test dummies for us. Let us know when they finally get it right so we can rush out to buy the product(s).
    Information on the trails at New Hogan Lake, Calaveras County, CA.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by hkenshin View Post
    CBs stuff looks great and blingy; just seems their Taiwanese production tolerances are not very tight.
    It's the designs, not the tolerances. First off, the factories will produce whatever you tell them to, but when you use bushings in a pedal, or a single nut that can work it's way off, or your crank design is to glue to halves of metal together, it's going to fail. Same with the Kronolog. It's not that they couldn't make the parts to a close enough tolerance, it's the design. Even professional reviews noted the design of the Kronolog was flawed. A problem with tolerances would be a hole too large, or something off-center, or manufacturing metal flaws, etc.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I went through 3 of these before wising up and returning the post. Been rocking the KS LEV ever since with no problems. Stumpy, I suggest you do the same.

mtbr member
    Yep, installed it backwards. I'm "that" guy...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crank Brothers Kronolog - am I missing something?-picard-facepalm.jpg  

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    You know, we really appreciate you guys being the test dummies for us. Let us know when they finally get it right so we can rush out to buy the product(s).
    Ya know I almost posted the same thing, but I'm trying to lessen my snark. Three years ago I would have bet I would have a drop post by now, but the story is still the same, just with new players.

But seriously, thanks for funding the efforts to get to something that works.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve View Post
    Yep, installed it backwards. I'm "that" guy...
    Don't feel bad, I had my KS lev installed incorrectly at a bike shop, and then checked over and not corrected by another bike shop.

I was lucky enough to be in town on business for Sea Otter , so I talked to the rep at the booth: cable attached incorrectly/ backwards )

Paper or plastic?
    So, happy with the bike?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun