mtbr member

Crank Brothers Acid 2 Pedals

In the last 3 months Iíve snapped the spindle on two Acid 2 pedals, both pedals were used on a Single Speed with less than 400 miles on the first one and about 700 on the second one. I weigh 165 pounds so I donít think my weigh should be a problem. Has anyone else had problems with the Acid 2 or any other Crank Brothers pedals?

Dropshot Champ!
    I trashed my Smarty's in about five months (they're crap pedals anyhow) and just decapitated an eggbeater set in about three weeks.

I just went back to the Candy's and they seem solid. Can't really argue with CB easy warranty though, I think they take anything back no questions asked within 2yrs.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yup, snapped a spindle on my Acid 2's a couple of weeks ago on my SS. I'd been running them for 6-8 months mostly on my FS geared bike before that with no issues at all, I really liked them. It's a real bummer because I have three different sets of CB pedals for my 3 bikes and I liked being able to use the same shoes and cleats on everything I rode. Now I've got to either replace all of my pedals or pick up another pair of shoes and pedals just for the SS. I should add that CB will fix them, but I wont run them on that bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have been running some cheapo eggbeaters for over three years, no problem. I got another set to run on a cross bike and they broke after three rides. Crank brothers sent me a new pair though which was nice.

Fireball in the Night

Have a set for sale...

I have a set of unused Crank Bros Egg Beater C 147g per pedal with blue shaft.
    They've been mounted, but not ridden, so there are tells on the wrench areas, but no wear.

also available are a pair of barely dusty

Adidas Hammer Mtn shoes for these pedals:
    US size 10 / aka 44
    everyone drives a Used Car

mtbr member
    I love my SL eggbeaters and candys. No issues. Not so much the "C" models.

Paper or plastic?
    Got a pair of Candy and a pair of Mallet M. They've been pretty good so far (Mallet are 3 yo).
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Proud lame eBiker
    Two broken CB spindles was enough for me. Warranty or not, broken spindles are a serious hazard.

Made the switch to Time ATAC's and have has zero issues in over two years. And added benefit of not popping out when you smash a pedal on the downstroke into the top of a rock/log.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have only ridden Mallet C. I have them on both of my bikes. After 5 years on them I still love them. Most of my friends ride Mallets too.

mtbr member
    We had a broken CB Acid spindle on Saturdays Cool pre-ride. It was on a SS with a very lightweight rider. His second broken Acid spindle too.

Edit: OP was the rider.
    Last edited by Brewtality; 04-29-2009 at 10:23 PM.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Have been on Mallet M's for about 4 years. I snapped the cage a year ago.....so it was AFTER the 2 year warranty and they were totally cool about it. I specifically told them it was over 2 years ago. I have nothing bad to say about their pedals but I've seen a lot of threads trashing their product (I also have Candy's). My buddies all have Crank bros pedals of one sort or another....a few eggbeaters (not really used much any more), 2 candy's, 6-7 set's of Mallets including mine, and 3-4sets of acids. No issues at all, except for my broken cage which they easily handled OUTSIDE of warranty.

Feeling a little taller
    I started on clipless with a pair of Mallets. I rode them for 3 years and went through 2 sets of bearings and bushings during that time. I abandoned them when they got seized into a crank set and I couldn't get it apart without a torch. As for reliability while riding - never a failure or question.

I have 2 sets of Candys. While I don't care for their pseudo platform which has caused me the occasional "no clip slip" and not very confidence building for technical semi-clip situations.

I have had about 4 sets of cheapo-level eggbeaters as well. They're what I ride these days. That said, I have ruined 2 sets by tearing the tangs off on rocks. Once at Demo and again at Annadel on Sunday.

I can't tell you how many times I've been ejected from pedal strikes on rocks but I have never snapped a spindle and even when I rip a tang off, I can still clip in in two of the positions, so I have some faith in the design. It could be a design problem with the Acids.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

dcubed
    Riding last weekend with Dan, he heard me complaining about rock-pedal ejection from CB pedals. After trying them for a years, enough was enough with the CB pedals. I put SPD's back on.
    [SIZE="1"]Delta Dirt Dogs[/SIZE]

My photos

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    I can't tell you how many times I've been ejected from pedal strikes on rocks but I have never snapped a spindle and even when I rip a tang off, I can still clip in in two of the positions, so I have some faith in the design. It could be a design problem with the Acids.
    That's a thought, before the acids I ran a set of sl eggbeaters without issue for a year or so. I still run them on my road bike. They weren't on a SS though. I'm 6'2" and probably weigh ~230lbs with my gear, I snapped the spindle mashing at ~100% effort up a pretty steep pitch. I was most definitely putting some hurt on those pedals. The CB guys at the Otter were cool but they were out of acid bodies so I'm going to have to mail them in for repair. I'll just keep them on my geared bike and figure something else out for the SS.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    I have a set of Candy Cs that I've used on two bikes for years, w/ no probs. I go to Sea Otter and do a ride in Santa Cruz, and one of the springs breaks (no, not on spring break, thilly).

Took the pedal to the CB booth on Sunday and he replaced the springs in both pedals, no charge (I tipped him $10). Was a little pissed that it broke on my only day to ride while I was there, but it was funny/good that it broke then, as it was fixed w/ 20 minutes w/out me having to send them off.

No experience w/ the Mallets, tho.

When the Candys wear out, I plan to return to using the Eggbeater SLs.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by desmo13
    Riding last weekend with Dan, he heard me complaining about rock-pedal ejection from CB pedals. After trying them for a years, enough was enough with the CB pedals. I put SPD's back on.
    Meh, I been borrowed an old set of SPDs last weekend and the constant entry/exit issues on them bugs me more than the occasional impact related release on any of my CB pedals. to each their own.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've been using eggbeaters for quite awhile, without breaking anything. I have a 2ti set, and the standard c. I broke one from a really hard rock strike, but it was just a bent cage, no broken spindle. I also have been frustrated a few times with the rock strike leading to the immediate unclipping, but they have really worked flawlessly apart from that.

I also have a set of mallets, which have seen some abuse, without issue. Interesting thread -- a broken spindle sounds like a bad thing...

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Just curious...how are they breaking? Not enough material in the spindle? What? I have never seen an SPD spindle break, but I remember the aftermarket ti spindles for SPDs breaking when they decided to use ti as a bearing race surface. That was a long time ago and a very bad engineering decision.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member

Crank Brothers Acid 2

The breakage point on both pedals was exactly the same, right at the point where the shaft tapers down to its narrowest diameter. The attached pictures should help. This was not from banging the pedal on anything; if you look at the pedal youíll see nothing but normal wear.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hello

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Interesting. Looks like some re-engineering is in order.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    Just curious...how are they breaking? Not enough material in the spindle?
    I saw this spindle at the time of breakage. There are fatigue 'beach marks' at the power stroke part of the spindle. In other words, when the right crank is at the 1 o'clock position, where the rider is pushing hardest, there are fatigue marks at the top of the spindle. The beach marks extend approx 1/8" into the spindle, afterwhich there is only crystaline breakage.
    A high strength cromoly spindle under a lightweight rider, who never does any jumping, should no be suffering from fatigue related issues.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Ride it 'til it breaks
    Apr 2009
    I've been using Acid 2's for almost a year now and I've had no problems. I really like them. I did buy the smarty model first, and had to warranty them (defective out of the box) twice...

mtbr member
    I've been using eggbeater Cs for the last 9 months or so. I liked them and put them on all of my bikes. But, in the last month or so, 2 of them have broken. One broke at the spring when I was pedaling up hill. Not sure how the other one broke. But it broke in the middle of one of the bars that holds the cleats in. I'll probably be switching back to Time ATACs soon. Can't stand Shimano pedals.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokoko
    The breakage point on both pedals was exactly the same, right at the point where the shaft tapers down to its narrowest diameter. The attached pictures should help. This was not from banging the pedal on anything; if you look at the pedal youíll see nothing but normal wear.
    Same story here. Identical pedals too, same color, same wear and the same break point. Even the resulting damage to the platform is nearly identical.

In Search of Singletrack
    Been riding eggbeaters for years and never had any problems.