Thread: Coolest Boggs

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Good job! Coolest Boggs

Awesome, Awesome Race!

Let me open by wishing Ogre well in his recovery..you looked like you were hurting when they were lifting you out of there.

This race was one of the really good ones. Boggs is always nice with flowing single track but the changes to the course from the regular race provided enough of a difference that you didn't feel like you were repeating the March event.

I don't know what the racer count was but it appeared to be around 200. Other than at the start, things spread out quickly and it had the feeling of a more intimate event than some of the more crowded races.

To me, the best time in a 24hr event is when the 8hr race is done. Things settle down, and in the case of this race, you could go long distances without seeing anyone. I figure between solos and teams, there were about 50-60 of us out there for the final 16 hours. In the wee hours of the night it was so peaceful...did I say awesome?

It was cool seeing Tinker and Des duke it out....I can't believe how fast they can climb!

Somewhere around 3am I was out on the backside of the course when a skunk ran onto the trail ahead...fortunately just out of range. I stopped and shined my headlamp on him as he walked into a bush and disappeared. Could have been a smelly disaster!

Jimmy and crew did a nice job with organizing the race....a definite do-over! I finished with 14 laps (152 miles and 20k' of climbing). I'm tired today

mtbr member
    I really liked the changes to the course. It was a total blast. My race did not go very well as I tore a sidewall around 3 miles in, then my spare tube ripped at the valve stem, then my last ditch spare tube from a teammate was a 26 incher and I just couldn't get to work when my tire iron snapped in half, so I hiked the 3-4 miles back to the pit. I fixed the flat and put on a new tire and headed out to get some laps in. I rode most of the course with one my SS teammates then upped the tempo as I was pretty fresh on the climb and missed the turn for the last singletrack off the fireroad climb. I headed down the road for around a mile or two and it wasnt until I passed a car that I thought i wasnt going the right way. So i turned around and climbed back up to the singletrack and finished out my lap. It ended up being under an hour and I called it a day. 1 lap in 3 hours. I had a great time camping and pitting for teammates. it was a great weekend.

Natural body armor
    Had a great time at Boggs this week end.
    Got in on Friday just in time to pick a spot for the tent.
    Raced 8hr solo: there seemed to be more footies in this course than the Boogs 8hr, and there was also less time (8hr is the hard stop) so I decided to shoot for the 6 laps.
    I planned to go for groups of 2 laps and then break. I finished in 7:50 with my goal of 6 laps, good for 7th in my category. Even if there was time I knew I didn't have another lap in me.

Trails were in great shape and had to deal with dust just at the start. I liked the course better than the Boggs 8hr, I felt I was constantly on a single track, except for the longish fireroad climb. But boy it felt good to get at the top of that.

On the second lap I ate it right before the split rock. The photographer had no mercy and kept shooting while I walked the rest of that section.
    I think it was on my 3rd lap that I saw 0gre getting hauled away on the stretcher.
    The last 2 laps felt really quiet and I think I saw only two riders on my 5th lap.

Finally met Impy (which missed the podium by minutes, by staying with 0gre while rescue was on his way ) and Moschika and few others. Hung out at their campfire for a while with AussiBob.

Props to Jim for organizing such a good event. There was plenty of food at the feed stations (although I didn't find lobster and crab that he mentioned...) and burgers/hot dogs for the 8hr finishers.
    The timing worked fine this time and we had times posted in a timely manner this time...
    Hope to see some pictures soon
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

mtbr member
    My report:

The course. Much different than the BikeMonkey events. I could feel the extra 400' of climbing per lap, and the new rocky section at the beginning was sketchy for a 24 hour race (in a good way). Good thing I cleaned it all on one of the laps that the photographer was out there. The second fireroad climb was different and longer than the march event.

My second attempt at a 24 hour solo. This time with less (endurance) training for the year, and I felt it.

My strategy was to ride most of the time, with a 3 hour nap if I was feeling good, and a longer nap if I wasn't. I definately wasn't feeling it on the first several laps. On the third lap, my legs were feeling dead, and I thought hard about quitting early and joining mr. jameson at the shiela moon camp. Toward the end of the 3rd lap, I see Ogre getting carried away on the stretcher. (heal up quick buddy!)

By the 5th or 6th lap, my legs started to come around just as the sun was going down. On my 8th lap, the wind picked up hard, and it got cold really fast. I was sorta struggling mentally, and just wanted to get into warmer gear. Toward the end of the 8th lap, right around the same point where Ogre crashed, I clumsily veered off the trail, hit a rock and flew over the bars. D'oh. I gathered myself, and slowly cruised in, but it was COLD. As I crossed the line, I was 50/50 about wether I should keep going or not. I thought about checking the scores/leader page, but just wanted to warm up, so I skipped the check. I figured that if I went out and had another bad lap, that could end my race early, so I decided to just get into warm clothes and take a nap, and start over in the AM.

Alarm went off at 4:30AM, and I got ready, ate a bit more, and was back on the bike by 5. Surprisingly, the legs felt better than they did during lap 3, but I still just spun up the climbs slowly. I figured I timed it so I could get 4 more laps comfortably, and 5 if I went hard.

I finished with 12 laps in a little under 23 hours. For the first time I checked the scores to see if I needed to go out for another, and I see the 2nd place person only did 5 laps. My goal was 14 laps, but I am fine with the 12 after how I felt during the first 6 hours. So instead of trying to hammer a 13th lap, I just started packing up since I needed to drive home too. Only 4 or 5 in my age group. Kind of a charity win, but I'll take it. I wouldn't have even been in the top 5 for the 40-49s.

I did the race self supported, which I think would have been okay, but I should have brought a camping stove for something warm at night/in the morning (thanks Daten, Impy, Fiona, and the others for the generous offers to share pits).

Totals:
    120+ miles
    ~17,000' elevation

And to re-iterate others, awesome course!

xls
    Eduardo Naranja
    Wow, what a fun race! We actually got 1st place (out of three teams in our category and one team did the right thing. Quit riding and start drinking early.) The course was a real blast. After my first few laps I was worried about riding it at night, but it turned out it was ok. I had planned on renting lights at the race and when I found out on Wednesday that neither Niterider or JetLites was going to be there, I had to buy something quickly and locally. Ended up with two MiNewt USBs (one bought, one borrowed) and it wasn't all too bad.

We had a 4 male beginner team, also assembled at the last minute as one of the team members had a bad crash recently (concussion, extensive & expensive dental work, etc.). Ended up with 5 laps each, luckily not enough time for a sixth lap for me.

As for my race, I ate pancakes and some eggs about an hour before race start and that turned out to be a bad idea. My stomach was not happy on my first three laps but I didn't leave any on the trail. I got passed by Tinker once on the fire road climb. Once I recognized him I sped up & tried to stay in touch. When he noticed he turned around and looked at my briefly, then took off. Bastard! That steep long fireroad climb at 2am was challenging. The strong wind gusts that kicked up a lot of dust at the top and the very low temperatures made me question my sanity. The kick-ass technical singletrack afterwards that was perfect for my Mojo made me quickly forget about the pain though. It's quite an interesting feeling when you're bombing through the bushes at XX mph, only able to see a small window right in front of you

The location was really awesome for a smaller 24h event. If you like camping and biking, Boggs is great! It's very scenic with lots of pine trees, there's a lot of singletrack and the campground is in the middle of it all. I wonder if there are other places like this in California.

To all the 24h solo riders out there: You have my deepest respect and admiration. I cannot imagine myself doing that.

Zen_Turtle, I've been trying to figure out your license plate but now I get it. We camped right across from you. It was nice meeting you and good job on those six laps!

mtbr member
    oh yeah, I forgot to add, one of the times Tinker passed me was right as we crested to the wide flat fire road after the aid table (canyon?), where it's flat, then drops through the rocks into single track. At that time, he flew passed me, but I dropped to a bigger gear and was able to catch up as we hit the singletrack and hang onto his wheel for a while. Man he was really smooth through that stuff. I did get him to look back and give me the "who just caught me from behind" look. Small victory for me then he pulled away effortlessly.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Good job!

Posted up my version of a race report with a few pics from my teammates on my blog at: www.onegeartwoplanks.com

But in short, I really REALLY liked this race. As others have said, just a bit different than the Bike Monkey Bogg's to not feel like the same course. And I think this version was tougher too. It was more technical with that rock sluice thing near the beginning, and it was longer laps, and had more climbing...but it also seemed like it had more sweet flowing singletrack. Just awesome.

I ended up 7 laps in about 7:25 for 4th place in 8-hour solo pro/expert singlespeed. I had one crash that ate up some time, a quad cramping episode on lap 6 (someone here from MTBR witnessed that and we end up leap frogging each other a bit...good riding with ya!), and an anonying leaky valve stem in my front tire that had me at about 15 psi for half of the 3rd lap until I pumped it back up, and down to about 15 psi again on lap 6 until my teammates fixed it all up permantly for me on my last pit before heading back out for the 7th.

Anyway, I'm most happy that my shoulder/collarbone felt fine throughout the race and now I'm feeling like I can dive back into some serious riding in anticipation of Kirkwood 8-Hour in August.

And damn was I glad to be done at 8 hours. Holy crap did it get cold at night. BIG props to all you 24-hour racers. You are more harder core that I

Oh and props to Northey and his team for putting on a great event with ZERO hitches!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Great race jimmy! Thanks to all who volunteered! Hats off to the women and men that ran the scoring system, it worked out Great! Will someone explain to me how a 48 year old man can do 24 laps in 24 hours?? I dont think my mom blessed me with those genes. Hats off to anyone who rode for 24 hours, especially you crazy bastards on the single speeds. I ate a cheeseburger and a hotdog with onions after the race, and I think that crap actually helped my recovery. (so much for the hammer nutrition propaganda) Thanks again global biorythems for another awesome event.

Lusus Naturae
    A bit slackin' with my report but might as well, it'll be short.

Our team (Numb Nuts) of 4 beginner riders was only able to do 6 laps but I can't think of a better place to camp and race for 24 hours. Way better than both Cool and 24 HOA.

The trail was excellent although I didnt much care for that rock gap thing. While the long climb out is probably twice as painful as the regular Boggs 8hr race, Gails is a fun trail. Towards the end of the race, however, most of the nice curvy, dippy sections were a bit loose and powdery.

As for our team, here's how it went:

Myself: 2 laps, about 1:20 each
    Harry: 3 laps, about 1:45 each
    Daniel: 1 lap, about 1:45 (he never rides bikes and has horrible cardio)
    KrisL: Never showed up!

As soon as we found out our 4th guy was not going to ride, we pretty much bailed on night riding, which is a shame when I think of it now. Somehow it just seemed too cold? Maybe it was the beer talking.

Anyway, once again I am amazed at the endurance of the people that showed up. Honestly if the race saw another 100 riders, that would be the limit. I dont think the trails could handle much more than they already saw, in some places.

Thanks to Zen, grrah, aussie bob and datenschwanz for providing entertainment and familiar faces. Anyone who didnt show up totally missed out. I'll be lined up early for this next year.

Oh yeah, we got 3rd place! haha

Natural body armor
    Rafael, that's impressive result: that's crushing the competition.

Good job Numb Nuts! Got any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by xls
    Zen_Turtle, I've been trying to figure out your license plate but now I get it. We camped right across from you. It was nice meeting you and good job on those six laps!
    I knew I had seen that orange Mojo somewhere before
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

Lusus Naturae
    By the way there are many pics at James Pratt's website. I still need to get mine uploaded.

Natural body armor
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance
    By the way there are many pics at James Pratt's website. I still need to get mine uploaded.
    Thanks. Shabby web site with insane pricing....
    I'll wait for your pics.
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    That was an AWESOME race! The course was super fun, the techy sections were a little challenging later on in the race but made the course that much more enjoyable. That fire road climb on the back side just kept getting longer, it seemed like.... but it was worth it as the singletrack back to the finish area was oh so sweet.

Weather was perfect, I didn't even really get cold at night until I had to stop out on the trail and fix my bike after my derailluer broke off. It wasn't too hot during the day thanks to the tree cover, but that wind was pretty nuts after it got dark. Did you hear the trees creaking in the middle of the night? I'm still coughing up some dirt here and there from the dust, but I'll take the dust over the mud any day of the week.

It was super fun to ride with Tinker, it's so crazy to realize that he's the rider whose lights you can see behind you. All of a sudden you're thinking:"oh man, that's Tinker, he's a freakin legend! Don't screw up, don't screw up, don't screw up....."

As always, Jimmy and the Crew were there holding down the fort and making sure everything ran smoothly. Thanks Jim!! Thanks Auburn Bike Works!! The new timing system was totally kick ass and we got hooked up with some killer prizes at the end of the race.

Great race, great people, great organization, GREAT CAUSE, and a great course. I am working on a full race report to be found at

http://www.globalbiorhythmevents.com/

Good job out there everyone, that was a pretty tough 24 hour course and you all tackled it like there was nothing to it. Right On! Thanks again for a great weekend of racing

Lusus Naturae
    Congrats on 22 laps Dez. I'm still trying to figure out how you guys manage to do it.

mtbr member

Still flyin' in my mind after that great race...

Also want to add my props to Jimmy and his crew -- a lot of his family! -- for an incredibly well run race. I was able to meet some of the Global Biorhythms folks for the first time, although I've done several of the races, and everyone was just swell.

My team signed up for 24-Male Sport but got switched over to a newly created division of Coed. We did 21 laps thanks to my guys riding double laps at night and allowing for a bit of extra rest. I was sleep deprived before the race so was worried about being able to pull my weight, but I was rider #4, so I took advantage of the opportunity to doze through the race start/first lap.

The course was so much fun; it all seemed to go so swoopy/fast (except for the long climb on the backside -- but the finishing payoff was well worth it).

Congrats and special shout-outs to:
    • Tinker...legend
    • Dez...upcoming legend...and ALWAYS so polite when passing me, fast!
    • All the 24 solo women, like Timari, Melanie, Erin, Yvette and Pam...inspiring (especially Pam, who when finding out I was a team racer told me to "Get your butt up here!" to pass in the middle of the night, even though I was hanging on her wheel and kind of liking the company out there in the dark!)
    • Volunteers at the midpoint aid station, ESPECIALLY the crew that was whooping it up there at 2am...you rock!
    • Pete the bike mechanic...MacGyver!
    • Team Flavor Bistro's support crew of my friend Michaela, who drove up with fresh-baked bread and a full supply of bad jokes for the middle-of-night punchiness
    • All the riders for an excellent effort and vibe out there...this race goes down in my memory as one of the best and funnest ever
    • My teammates, for letting me talk them into this, taking the first lap and pulling double laps so I only ended up with 4 (although I did a 5th just for fun w/ Michaela, the riding was so good!)
    • My boys, who enjoyed the camping and the social scene, especially my older who worked on building dirt jumps and getting more air than his parents (now I just need to migrate him from BMX to MTB so that he can do double-laps for me!)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hey, does anyone know if there are anymore pics floating around? I'm trying to find a couple shots of the podium... wouldn't mind having a picture with Tinker, ya know?

xls
    Eduardo Naranja
    This is the best one I got:
    Attached Images Attached Images

aka Jesse Palmer
    Haha - what the heck am I doing up there with you guys!? omg

Somehow ended up riding with Tinker for two laps from about 2-4am which was pretty cool (you two were already three laps up on me). Kinda makes me want to try actually training a little beforehand next time

I had a lot of fun riding with Jason for several laps towards the beginning (If you could send me that helmet-cam footage you got that would be awesome!)