Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Coolest 24 Hour Race Against Cancer

So the Coolest is in a few weeks, is back in Cool and includes a new course with no Knickerbocker and more single track.......should be fun!....who else is in?????

HTFU!
    In.
    Don't know if 'fun' is the word I would choose (for solo or duo anyway...but teams are fun).
    As I had previously ridden only one lap there ever, I tried riding the posted course the other day and ended up with four loops, none the same, and maybe the last one was 90% correct. There is a bit of poison oak hanging over the trail on the single-track that cuts in and around Knickerbocker...the race director said the were going to clean up that section before the event so that's cool as it is a fun section to ride.
    Here is the Strava map for the course (taken from GBE's Facebook Page): Bike Ride Profile | 2013 Coolest 8/24 Course near Cool | Times and Records | Strava
    Here is my sad attempt at finding the course:Bike Ride Profile | Hot, Messy Olmstead Exploring near Cool | Times and Records | Strava
    If you want to have a fun mtb challenge, then get a group together. It supports a good cause and is an experience you are not likely to forget. I have no affiliation with GBE at all, but I do hope a ton of people show up. Those solo night laps can get lonely (and I get skeered of the dark), so the more riders out there with their lights, the better.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    In for old farts 24 solo. Where's my Geritol???

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    I was originally going to do this as my first solo 24, but recently switched it to solo 8 as I'm racing Marathon MTB Nationals in Sun Valley on July 6th, and didn't think I'd be recovered in time for that if I were to go for 24 solo.

Glad this race is back in Cool!

mtbr member

Coolest 24 Hour Race Against Cancer

Quote Originally Posted by zon View Post
    In for old farts 24 solo. Where's my Geritol???
    Seriously?
    Hell ya! Go get'em!!!

You need pit help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Good job, Zon!!!!!!!.....I just completed Hammerstein as a solo and am still recovering so Coolest will be a team event for me......

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Seriously?
    Hell ya! Go get'em!!!

You need pit help?

Absolutely,, and you are the best pit boss ever.

mtb'er
    In for 8hr co-ed. I wish there was an 8 person/8hr category

See you guys out there.

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    In for 8hr co-ed. I wish there was an 8 person/8hr category

See you guys out there.
    Nice. It will be cool to meet some of you guys who's adventures I have followed at times here on the forum. Just look for the chubby Short, Old, Bald guy on the SS (silver One9 or green SIR9) and say "Hello." Oh, and if around later in the evening, puhleeease provide some much needed encouragement.

mtb'er
    ^ you know it!

I hope to do all my laps on Ellsworth bikes... they'll be there with a demo fleet

mtbr member
    8 hour solo old fart here, I'll be on a black
    Ellsworth ,yell hi as you pass me (little hard of hearing)..........Mike

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    S.O.B. - I'm sure we'll see each other at some point, will say howdy for sure.

I'll be racing my geared Giant Anthem and in the blue & white Folsom Bike / Giant kit (there will be bunch of us wearing this kit though I'm sure out there).

mtb'er
    How'd everyone do? My gal and I knocked out 7 laps in 7:45 for the 8hr co-ed win. I did my 4 laps on 3 different Ellsworth bikes, which were a TREAT to ride! Really fun course. I hit 44.2 mph on the long fire road descent

SS 8hr winner (8 laps), Joe McKeen:

mtbr member
    Right on Jeff & Caryn!
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Super fun time as always. Good turnout, great cause, good times.

I was able to crank out 8 laps in around 7 hours 20-ish minutes for 1st place overall in the 8 Hour.

I didn't make this very easy on myself as on the first lap i crashed 3 freakin times! First crash was within just the first few miles right after the start. The beginning singletrack was extremely dusty and I was sitting 5th or 6th wheel and I couldn't see the trail at all...was just blindly following the silhouette of the rider in front of me. The trail in this section was kind of 'trenched' with high sides (that I couldn't see because of the dust) and I just let my mind wander for a half a second, front tire hit the side of the trench that I couldn't see, and it caused me to go down kinda hard...didn't even have time to unclip out of my right pedal and it tweaked my knee a bit, caused my seatpost to twist out of alignment, and left me covered in dust and pissed of. Doh!

So after that first crash, I jam back on the pedals and catch back up to the lead group, pass a few people on the first straightaway climb and catch up to the two team riders who are on the front. We're jamming pretty good, but still a comfortable pace. We ride together through the new singletrack section and just before fireroad climb before the aid station, my right pedal catches a unseen rock buried in some tall grasses that sends me flipping over the freaking handlebars. That one hurt. Took me a few seconds to gather my senses, make sure everything on the bike was ok and start pedaling again. Then as I'm pedaling up the aid station and catching back onto the tires of the two team riders, I look down and notice that I lost my brand new Garmin 510 in that crash....jesus. I figured maybe I'd find it since I'll be riding by the spot a lot today...

THEN after that crash, just after the aid station, as we start the first part of the downhill on the FAST fireroad descent. My front tire hits some random rock and splits right down the middle! Nooooo! Stans is spraying all over the place and just after I catch back up the kid in the lead, I need to pull over and fix it. Had to remove wheel, put in tube, blah blah...meanwhile...EVERYONE is passing me back. DAMMIT. Get it fixed, get my **** together, and start making up ground....

Luckily after those first lap debacles out of the way...I was able to catch back up to everyone by the end of lap 2, and then hold on for the win.

It was hard. I pitted every lap to have my chain cleaned and lubed by my friends, grab a new bottle for the course, down an extra bottle while in the pits to stay hydrated, and have cool wet rags draped over my neck to cool down a bit.

So all in all a good day, was pretty bummed to have lost my brand new Garmin, but as I'm packing up to leave, Jim Northey comes up to me and hands me my Garmin! Some good samaritan had found it on the course and turned it in! So if that was anyone here reading this...THANK YOU!

Beers afterwards tasted pretty damn good

Coolest 24 Hour Race Against Cancer-coolest-8-podium.jpg

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    .....and just before fireroad climb before the aid station, my right pedal catches a unseen rock buried in some tall grasses that sends me flipping over the freaking handlebars. That one hurt.
    Ouch. I know of that exact spot. I few weeks ago I went out to preride the course and did the same exact thing. I was looking for that spot each lap and swore at that rock each time I went by, saying, "That's right *****!". I personally saw two people bite it on that same rock. I am sure there were plenty more.

My experience? I did a long write up on my blog below so this will be the short version.

I had a goal of completing more miles than the 126 miles in my first and only 24 solo two years ago. I felt like I was in good shape considering I was 20 lbs heavier last Xmas and raced ~10 heavier in the past. I also felt well prepared logistically in terms of bikes and food. My longest mtb or road ride leading up to this was ~62 miles so that was a slight concern, but with a slow pace felt my goal was attainable. Plus, unlike my first 24. I brought no tent and no mattress. If I was going to sit, it would be on my uncomforable $5 camping chair or on my cooler. I was there to HTFU and ride, not sleep.

Things started out a bit fast for me as I averaged ~1:05 for the first two laps. This was too fast a pace and I was working too hard on the final climb...not sustainable (by me) for 24 hrs. My new strategy was to ride hard for the first 7 or so miles and then push up select steep technical areas on the final climb in order to conserve strength. I picked two spots to start pushing. By the 7th lap it was 4 spots. by the 11th lap I swear I was off the bike at least 7 times trying to control the pain/suffering and just keep moving forward.

Because Sean 'Sully' Sullivan has some night time stomach issues I was actually in 2nd place for most of the race (out of three single-speeders). By the end of lap 14 I was finished, I felt I had nothing left. I knew Sean was still pedaling trying to make up ground but that was irrelevant to me. I had achieved my goal. Then a stranger (pit crew for some of the high school kids maybe?) literally took my bike away and said "your going to do one more". He returns a minute later with my chain cleaned and lubed, and some pancakes rolled up like a burrito. I ate the pancakes (tasted damn good), analyzed how I felt and decided that even if I walked 'everything' I could suffer through one more. So that is what I did. The final lap might have taken me 1:45 but I finished it. Actually might have had time for one more, but I also might have run out of time and this point I was having a tough time walking so I was through. In order to overtake me, Sully had to average 1:13 a lap over his last three and I believe he averaged ~1:10 or better to sneak into 2nd with maybe 10 minutes to spare. I was happy for him as he and his pit crew Kenny were very helpful to me throught the race. In the end, 1st place had 17 laps, 2nd had 16 and I managed 15 laps and ~170 miles and surprisingly feel pretty good after a bath, a shower and nearly 12 hours sleep.
    Good Times!
    And yes, that was the short version.
    Last edited by S.O.B.; 06-24-2013 at 07:27 PM.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    My first 24 solo and I wasn't sure what to expect. However, I had good tips from a couple of experienced 24 riders and they really paid off. It was tough, I ain't going to lie to you. In fact brutal may be a better adjective to describe it for an old guy. Yet it was still fun. I was awesome riding the climbs at night with just the moon for light.
    I ended up with 13 laps which was good enough for a podium 3rd. The second place finisher past me as I was fixing a flat on the last lap and he grabbed second by minutes also with 13 laps. It was my 3rd flat of the race, 4th if you count the flat I fixed at 2AM for a high schooler riding on a rim and no spare tube. I couldn't leave him stranded though so I gave him my tube and wouldn't you know it, 15 minutes later I get my second flat,, and no tube now. About 30 minutes later and several passing riders someone (I think her name is Erika) offers up her spare and back on the road.
    I think I could have easily done a couple more laps if the flat demon hadn't been chasing me. Never again will I have a Nano Raptor on my bike. Oh well, such is racing.
    Well now that the pain is starting to ease just a bit,, I think I may give this another whirl next year. Kinda like child birth....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    congrats to everybody who participated and hit their goals.....

i did crappy...

arrived late, last one on the trail and got stuck behind the dust bowl....

i workgraveyards and worked the night before and didn't get much sleep

i was signed up for the 2 man 24 hour. i was riding my SS trying to get ready for bend high cascades

due to the fact that i work graveyards i usually ride from midnight-3am...which is usually about 60 degrees...riding the first 6 laps of the race in dead heat, i blew up...bad...could drink, kept baby vomitting...cramped bad after lap 3, 4, 5, and 6

too bad because ive been getting in some good watt/kg numbers and some great longer rides in...

it was terrible...after my portion i went home and ate ice cream...lots

mtbr member
    Holy Cow you got your Garmin back!

mtbr member
    Great meeting you out there, and thank you for trying out the Ellsworth bikes!

Rick~

mtb'er
    Nice work MTBR riders Lots of highs and lows.

A bunch of photos are on FB:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7188143&type=1

Zon charging:

mtbr member
    Anyone know when the full results will be up or other photos?

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bikesandapassion View Post
    Anyone know when the full results will be up or other photos?
    Results are up at the bottom of the page: RESULTS PAGE | Global Biorhythm Events

Feral Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Super fun time as always. Good turnout, great cause, good times.

I was able to crank out 8 laps in around 7 hours 20-ish minutes for 1st place overall in the 8 Hour.
    Was the course significantly different than previous events in Cool?

mtb'er
    I wouldn't say "significantly". But not having the Knickerbocker Creek crossing and the hoof out of there was nice. The GBE race is usually clockwise, while the Cool MTB Race is generally counter clockwise. Both use many similar sections, but are entirely different courses.

2010 GBE course: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Cool 8hr near Pilot Hill | Times and Records | Strava

2013 GBE course: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | est 24 Hour Race - Lap 1 near Cool | Times and Records | Strava

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast