Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Coolest 24 hour photos and race update: MUD!

Went to the Cool 24 hour event today... it's still going on as I write this... I posted a bunch of photos, it was a MUD FEST. Glad I did not compete this year

Many a bike shop will be getting visits Monday morning...

Tinker was there in his usual style... very fun to watch him wail on the muddy downhills - SO SMOOTH over all that slick stuff.

When I left he was in about 5th place over all (including the teams - he is riding solo)... He was swapping his bikes each lap so he had a fresh clean drive train.

I'll try to get up there tomorrow for follow up photos, check out the current photos here - top right hand side: http://www.racemtb.com/gallery07.htm

CJS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CactusJackSlade; 05-02-2009 at 11:57 PM.
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ugly...

I dropped out less than a 1/4 mile into lap 4 of the 8 hour race. Went to grab brakes over the first rock garden and couldn't stop, pads gone. Weighed my options.... clean up, eat, and drink a beer or continue on, destroy my new k24s and probably lose a few teeth. I chose the first option.

To all those that toughed it out and are still out there now toughing it out!

Awesome job. and good seeing you there Brian.
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

mtbr member

heinous

I'll add that descriptor to Roger's. What a sufferfest. Roger bummed to hear about your brakes! Good call tho, I was pulling a lot more brake than normal yesterday, so many white nuckle sloppy sections. NWS just posted a small stream flood advisory... Jimmy needs to make a bunch of the Big Balls trophies to provide to anyone toughing it the duration Thanks for the pics Brian!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Blessing in disguise my friend...

that's how I look at it. I got to put my kids to bed last night.
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I did the 8hr yesterday and dropped out pretty early. It was super fun though.

You 24 hour solo guys are nuts!

kpd
    mtbr member
    LOL! This is great. A small part of me wishes I was there battling it out in the mud, but a large part of me is quite happy to be clean, dry and laughing while looking at the pictures.

mtbr member
    On Friday night, for about 5 seconds, I considered hopping on with one of the teams posting here looking for a rider.

And then I remembered what it's like riding that trail after rain, and that I hate it. The people who did race it are bad asses.
    :wq

Critter Killer
    May 2009
    Cool was one of the first races where you couldn't recognize anyone. After my Solo 8hr race, i saw a 24hr team guy that i knew getting ready to go out, i said hello and he asked who i was......then i saw this pic of myself and know why.

Absolute mudfest, anyone who rode more than one lap has my respect!

Brian, thanks for encouraging words out there....i needed it!
    Last edited by KirkEDGE; 05-03-2009 at 12:21 PM.

mtbr member
    HOT DAMN!!!

I has a headache

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkEDGE
    Cool was one of the first races where you couldn't recognize anyone. After my Solo 8hr race, i saw a 24hr team guy that i knew getting ready to go out, i said hello and he asked who i was......then i saw this pic of myself and know why.

Absolute mudfest, anyone who rode more one lap has my respect!

Brian, thanks for encouraging words out there....i needed it!
    Kirk - congrats on your 2nd place!

Secondly, I heard Northey was gonna call it at 10am today.

Vegan Athlete
    That was some pretty incredible racing. I had a great pit crew and was as prepared for the weather as anyone could have been. I first started mountain biking on the east coast and mountain biked in Northwest Oregon for four years, so I'm ok in the mud. I rinsed my drivetrain and lubed it every lap. I started my 6th lap at 6:37 PM +/- and was unsure if I was going to be able to turn over a 1:15 lap (my best time of the day) considering the conditions were getting worse and I was getting more tired. About 1/4 way into the last lap, while hard on the brakes, I heard some odd sound come out of my rear brake, then viola, no rear brake, lever to the bars... (I inspected the brakes last night after the race and I think a pad was ejected from the caliper). So I finished the lap with just a front brake and without glasses (lots of trouble with mud in my eyes) going as hard on the climbs as I could to get sub 1:15 lap to get in by 8:00PM.
    I ended up finishing my 6th lap at 8:02:37. Dangit! Just a few minutes after the cut off time. Nevertheless I got 1st in Men's Solo 8 hour 30-39. My teammate Troy got 3rd.

No cramps, no crashes. I'm wasted today.

Yay plant based diet!
    Take a look at and consider "liking" my Vegan Athlete Facebook page.

MarkyMark
    Whoaaaa.. I've got to give a big hand to anyone who raced in those conditions. Hard-core!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

You were looking strong H.!

Congrats and well deserved...

mtbr member
    This was my first 8 hour race. My goal was 5 laps but I only managed 4... After the third lap I was so cold and wet that I took a long break to eat and change clothes. My front brake pads were gone by then and my rear derailleur and/or cable was so clogged I could hardly shift. I completed my 4th lap with 1.5 hour to go. My fastest lap was something like 1:20 I think so theoretically I could have gone for a 5th but I decided to call it a day.

It was a really cool event that deserved better weather.

Oh and thanks to the guy cheering to everyone at the last climb!

Critter Killer
    May 2009
    Oh and thanks to the guy cheering to everyone at the last climb!
    I'll second that, he's from Team Revolutions out of Sacramento.

Kirk - congrats on your 2nd place!
    Thank ya much! After last year, i'm just happy to have finished.
    Team Bicycles Plus/Sierra Nevada

Urban Ninja
    It was the worst of times and the best of times... Two person 8hr team and we did 6 hard rainy, muddy laps in 7 hours and 47 minutes. It was so muddy the timing chips didn't work right. Jimmy called the race at 10am this morning. I slept on the couch and watched a few 24 hr bad asses come through right at the last minute glad I only did the 8. My bike is not talking to me right now
    For Sale: EPIC

Send it!

www.rayscyclebicycles.com

aka baycat
    Amen to single speeds and liquor. Would have come out cleaner if I fell into one of the porta johns. Mud was everywhere.

Another well run event going to an incredible cause.
    Last edited by Ryan G.; 05-03-2009 at 03:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Who are you?

I think I might know that person under the facial.

Congrats Kirk.

Tripolar on most days
    Yeah it was a fun and miserable race at the same time. I got 4 laps in before my new brake pads were down to metal and I lost the will to head back out. I still canít see real well from all of the mud in my eyes.

Two really memorable things I will always keep from the race.
    1) Was seeing all of the pictures of the courageous people that put up a good fight battling with Cancer. Two of them were my dad and step dad who both passed away in 2007 from Cancer.
    2) Was passing Tinker on a long climb. (of course he was pacing for 24 hours).
    Be the person your dog thinks you are.

feeling squirrelly

Nice photos Brian!

This was my chamois even after I had a friend hose me down.

And this was our pit.

Holy cow! What a mess, we all have the swine flu for sure now. I only did 2 laps and was so cold and miserable, glasses were useless - eyes were destroyed and bike was making very odd sounds. Decided to pull the plug and get a beer. Best decision of my life.

Fun race, just pretended I was in a mud bath.

PS - Kirk, your skin should look great at your wedding after that mud facial!! Nice pic.

mind taking
    What. A. Mess.

And what a great time. I can't wait for ibikergal to toss up the pics of me after coming in on the second lap, that was something else. I've never had so much mud in my face, mouth, ears, nose, jock, etc, at one time, it was unreal. And the 2 am lap I took, after drinking all day, with a single helmet light on dying batteries, and no rear brakes... it only added to the story of the weekend.

Other wise the food was great, I had about 4 bowls of chili, 6 or 8 shots of this-n-that, a few of Jeff and Carmens delicious brownies, more than a few beers, and probably consumed 2x or 3x as many calories as I burned.

But it was fun, really fun, and I'll be back next year, come rain, or come shine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Rain... WHAT RAIN? Jimboy - da man!

Thanks Jim!

Despite the weather, nice event as always
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    HOT DAMN!!!

I has a headache
    You did not look so hot in the car as we passed you.

24 hours race report: no racing (too cold, too wet, too drunk), but some good laughs.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Everyone, no matter how many laps they pulled off, deserves some serious props for getting out there and putting tread to mud. just getting out there showed some serious determination....and you solo riders are nuts. big congrats to everyone who kept heading out there despite the heavy adversities.

I was on a 4-person single speed team and we decided that we'd pull 2-lappers a piece to give each other a longer break in between laps. I was choosen to do the first to laps and after my 2nd, there was no way in hell I wanted to go back out for a 3rd consecutive if i had too. My first lap was decent once I fought throught he traffic for around 1:05 or so, and I thought my 2nd lap would be better since there would not be as much traffic to fight through. WRONG! On the 2nd lap conditions were so much slicker I could not turn over my 34x18 (29er) gear without losing traction on every pedal stroke on the climbs.

My subsequent laps in the middle of the night were awesome though. Oddly the first half of the course was REALLY fun in the slippery mud between 11 and 1 AM. The second half after Salt Creek though....ughhh....not so much.

again...congrats everyone. I've been housing my bike clothes off on the back porch this afternoon. I'm debating whether or not I should just burn them and start over.

Vegan Athlete
    "34x18 (29er)"

ARE YOU NUTS!!!!!!!

That's a big gear even if it was dry out there. Big gear my friend.

I'm taking my clothes to the car wash because only that high of water pressure will get that mud out.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" my Vegan Athlete Facebook page.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast