Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ride Responsibly

Cool Race Aftermath

WOW Sun-burnt, who'd a thunk it?
    Here is one pic of me.

OH yeah, due to somebody else having a mechanical, I FAILED to place last!
    Scratch that, I did come in last!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LWright; 03-16-2010 at 08:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Does anybody have photos of the event?

I'd love to see some photos of the creek crossing or epic mudpit fails

mtbr member
    it needs to go back to february, this race was and should still be known for the muddy mess it has been in the past, the month later race has faster riders and dryer trails.
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter916
    it needs to go back to february, this race was and should still be known for the muddy mess it has been in the past, the month later race has faster riders and dryer trails.
    It was DEFINITELY a muddy mess out there. (but yes, sunny at least).

mtbr member
    my first year racing Cool was 98 and I remember crossing Knickebocker creek with two search and rescue guys in dry suites tied off in the creek and RUSHING belly button deep water (I was 6ft!!!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    That was just the right amount of mud And it tasted so horrible when I face planted in it
    Still, it was great to race in bright, warm sunshine. Multiple mechanicals (like NO BRAKES!!) and I still got seventh place in SS. I'm happy with that.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    A muddy, soupy morass Loved it Anyone not chain sucking? By the time I hit lap #3 my gear choices were very limited...but hey we made it

A special shout out to whomever left the case of PBR at the top of the last major climb on the course. I grabbed one on my final lap and enjoyed it after crossing the finish line....that's what they make jersey pockets for after all

Uncle

Here's a few my GF took

Not sure who either of the riders (er, passengers?) are in these. Maybe you? Third shot is the start line of the two clydes and sport classes.

No chainsuck here. I came very close to losing that battle, but barely managed to get through both laps without jamming stuff up. I lost access to my granny gear during most of the 2nd lap but still managed to clean almost everything. Anyone have GPS info on the course? Just before we started, Sean said 36mi & 5000' of climbing for 3 laps, which is ~12miles & ~1600' of elevation per lap. Can anyone confirm?

Thought I'd post these up while I wait for my jersey & bib to finish it's second trip through the washer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cool Race Aftermath-imgp8742.jpg  

Cool Race Aftermath-imgp8745.jpg  

Cool Race Aftermath-imgp8732.jpg  

Silence! I kill you!
    Dude, were you guys bike racing or bike swimming out there?
    My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Did they end up running the "old loop" or did Sean add in some more hills?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Only a few photos this time: http://www.racemtb.com/PhotoGallery/...otos/index.htm

This sequence is pretty funny... this dude totally vanished below the water!
    http://www.racemtb.com/PhotoGallery/...3142010021.htm

I mean like, where did he go??!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cool Race Aftermath-03142010026.jpg  

Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbne1
    A muddy, soupy morass Loved it Anyone not chain sucking? By the time I hit lap #3 my gear choices were very limited...but hey we made it

A special shout out to whomever left the case of PBR at the top of the last major climb on the course. I grabbed one on my final lap and enjoyed it after crossing the finish line....that's what they make jersey pockets for after all
    You're welcome. They were all gone by the end of the race,I guess it'll have to be 2 cases next year I did have some complaints about the choice of beverage though. Perhaps next year we'll have a "Beer Snob" station and a "Working Mans" station. I'll put out some fancy chairs and a fire pit for the Beer Snob station

The other option was Crown Royal if it was cold...... that would have been hard core......

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter916
    That kind of talk will get you banned from the race Nathan

It's still a crapshoot in March, but man do us folks putting it on appreciate the slightly higher chance of sun that comes with the March date.

mtbr dismember

More here

In case you missed it, more here: Cool Race Pics
    I suggest the photographers get closer to the action.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    I wrote up a race report and just posted it on the Team Mad Cat site here:
    http://www.teammadcat.com/post/2010/...th-a-Beer.aspx

Came out a little longer than I intended, but hope you enjoy.

Ride Responsibly
    Quote Originally Posted by scaryfast
    I only recently started doing this race, past 4 years, so I can't say what was done before, but this is the first for me riding next to the little lake. Real picturesque. And muddy.
    PS, riding up on the grass to avoid the mud seems wrong! The ground will probably recover, but until it does, complaints about bicycles widening the trails are valid.
    Suck it up and stay on the trail is my thoughts.
    Last edited by LWright; 03-15-2010 at 04:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Damn Ron, that was a great write up. Awesome result too!

rj2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scaryfast
    After the climb out of Salt Creek, we turned left and went up and up and up the fireroad and rejoined the old course on the climb before the aid station. On the other side, we backtracked the 24 hour course instead of passing by the school.
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

mtbr member
    RON! Nice work man, you crusher. And nice write-up, its almost like I was there... except... errr..... I wasn't. Because I suck. You know I at least wanted to be

rj2
    mtbr member
    Warning: Product Placement Within.

This was my first race of the year and I've only been on the MTB a handful of times. Have a really good base on the road bike and can keep up with the Spectrum ride now. I figured that would be enough to take on Cool.

As usual, I made some pre-race changes the day before with a new WTB Valcon Team Carbon saddle, TRP Dash disc brakes and swapped out my rear tire from a WTB NanoRaptor to the WTB Prowler MX 2.1. Not enough traction for the semi-slick.

We arrived early as we didn't know the $5 fee would affect parking. Now that state parks is collecting money, you could only park on one side of the road. It's a good thing you had a bike. I bet late arrivals were over a mile away.

I had a good warmup, but too soon. I stood around for almost 30 minutes before the start. At the start, about 4 of 5 guys gapped me as I settled into a rhythm. My legs were tight and I didn't warm up until the second lap. After the climb out of Salt Creek, came the first course change. Instead of turning right along the side of the hill, we turned left and kept climbing until a short downhill where we rejoined the original course before the aid station.

The descent to Knickerbocker Creek was good. The carbon hardtail combined with proper tire selection and technique, was less sketchy that I thought it would be. The new TRP Dash brakes work great, with plenty of modulation and stopping power. I followed someone into the water the first time and had to maneuver around him as he dabbed on the other side of the creek.

We made another detour onto the 24 hour course again onto the new single track section with the big root and rock step up. I normally take the route around the tree, but it was easier to run up rather than fight for traction.

The final course change was after the swamp. Instead of going past the school, we made a left and backtracked on part of the 24 hour course and rejoined the old course before the final climb.

After the start, I maintained my position and managed to pass a few more riders, especially on the second lap. With a couple of miles to go, I noticed a rider looking back and fighting to keep up the pace. I was trying to reel him in, but couldn't quite close the gap. I was running out of dirt and made a push just before the downhill where the jump used to be. I passed him on the outside of the turn and held him off to the end. He thought I was in his group and vice versa. We weren't.

I felt like the second lap was faster. Seeing the results confirmed my suspicion. My second lap was 2 minutes better.

5th place.
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

Team SUMMIT BICYCLES

Pro winner's race report

That was a lot of fun! I guess this race means the mountain bike racing season has really begun?
    Check out my race report:
    http://tiny.cc/jimhraceblog

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 105millimetersofpleasure
    Anyone have GPS info on the course?
    10.4 miles and 1300 ft of climbing per lap according to my Garmin Edge 500.

Uncle

Humbled yet again...

Quote Originally Posted by dcdman67
    10.4 miles and 1300 ft of climbing per lap according to my Garmin Edge 500.
    Wow, it sure felt like more than that this time around. Does the Garmin pick up the substantial elevation change when entering and climbing out of deep mud? All those inches add up!

mtbr dismember

Congratulations!

Congratulations!
    I probably have a photo of you. Describe what you were wearing. Were you leading on the first lap?

Team SUMMIT BICYCLES

pics?

I was 4th on the first lap, 3rd on the second as we came through the start/finish area. I wear a green and orange Summit Bicycles kit. I guess the opportunity to photograph people over their head in muddy water are the most appealling to a photographer. You don't see that too often.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast