Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cool Race Aftermath

4K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  iluvcx 
#1 · (Edited)
WOW Sun-burnt, who'd a thunk it?
Here is one pic of me.

OH yeah, due to somebody else having a mechanical, I FAILED to place last!
Scratch that, I did come in last!!

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
That was just the right amount of mud:thumbsup: And it tasted so horrible when I face planted in it:skep:
Still, it was great to race in bright, warm sunshine. Multiple mechanicals (like NO BRAKES!!) and I still got seventh place in SS. I'm happy with that.

#7 ·
A muddy, soupy morass:thumbsup: Loved it:D Anyone not chain sucking? By the time I hit lap #3 my gear choices were very limited...but hey we made it:cornut:

A special shout out to whomever left the case of PBR at the top of the last major climb on the course. I grabbed one on my final lap and enjoyed it after crossing the finish line....that's what they make jersey pockets for after all:lol:

#8 ·
Here's a few my GF took

Not sure who either of the riders (er, passengers?) are in these. Maybe you? Third shot is the start line of the two clydes and sport classes.

No chainsuck here. I came very close to losing that battle, but barely managed to get through both laps without jamming stuff up. I lost access to my granny gear during most of the 2nd lap but still managed to clean almost everything. Anyone have GPS info on the course? Just before we started, Sean said 36mi & 5000' of climbing for 3 laps, which is ~12miles & ~1600' of elevation per lap. Can anyone confirm?

Thought I'd post these up while I wait for my jersey & bib to finish it's second trip through the washer :p

Attachments

#11 ·

Attachments

#12 ·
mtbne1 said:
A muddy, soupy morass:thumbsup: Loved it:D Anyone not chain sucking? By the time I hit lap #3 my gear choices were very limited...but hey we made it:cornut:

A special shout out to whomever left the case of PBR at the top of the last major climb on the course. I grabbed one on my final lap and enjoyed it after crossing the finish line....that's what they make jersey pockets for after all:lol:
You're welcome. They were all gone by the end of the race,I guess it'll have to be 2 cases next year:thumbsup: I did have some complaints about the choice of beverage though. Perhaps next year we'll have a "Beer Snob" station and a "Working Mans" station. I'll put out some fancy chairs and a fire pit for the Beer Snob station:eekster:

The other option was Crown Royal if it was cold...... that would have been hard core......

#13 ·
scooter916 said:
it needs to go back to february, this race was and should still be known for the muddy mess it has been in the past, the month later race has faster riders and dryer trails.
That kind of talk will get you banned from the race Nathan;)

It's still a crapshoot in March, but man do us folks putting it on appreciate the slightly higher chance of sun that comes with the March date.

#16 · (Edited)
scaryfast said:
Did they end up running the "old loop" or did Sean add in some more hills?
I only recently started doing this race, past 4 years, so I can't say what was done before, but this is the first for me riding next to the little lake. Real picturesque. And muddy.
PS, riding up on the grass to avoid the mud seems wrong! The ground will probably recover, but until it does, complaints about bicycles widening the trails are valid.
Suck it up and stay on the trail is my thoughts.

#18 ·
scaryfast said:
Did they end up running the "old loop" or did Sean add in some more hills?
After the climb out of Salt Creek, we turned left and went up and up and up the fireroad and rejoined the old course on the climb before the aid station. On the other side, we backtracked the 24 hour course instead of passing by the school.

#20 ·
Warning: Product Placement Within.

This was my first race of the year and I've only been on the MTB a handful of times. Have a really good base on the road bike and can keep up with the Spectrum ride now. I figured that would be enough to take on Cool.

As usual, I made some pre-race changes the day before with a new WTB Valcon Team Carbon saddle, TRP Dash disc brakes and swapped out my rear tire from a WTB NanoRaptor to the WTB Prowler MX 2.1. Not enough traction for the semi-slick.

We arrived early as we didn't know the $5 fee would affect parking. Now that state parks is collecting money, you could only park on one side of the road. It's a good thing you had a bike. I bet late arrivals were over a mile away.

I had a good warmup, but too soon. I stood around for almost 30 minutes before the start. At the start, about 4 of 5 guys gapped me as I settled into a rhythm. My legs were tight and I didn't warm up until the second lap. After the climb out of Salt Creek, came the first course change. Instead of turning right along the side of the hill, we turned left and kept climbing until a short downhill where we rejoined the original course before the aid station.

The descent to Knickerbocker Creek was good. The carbon hardtail combined with proper tire selection and technique, was less sketchy that I thought it would be. The new TRP Dash brakes work great, with plenty of modulation and stopping power. I followed someone into the water the first time and had to maneuver around him as he dabbed on the other side of the creek.

We made another detour onto the 24 hour course again onto the new single track section with the big root and rock step up. I normally take the route around the tree, but it was easier to run up rather than fight for traction.

The final course change was after the swamp. Instead of going past the school, we made a left and backtracked on part of the 24 hour course and rejoined the old course before the final climb.

After the start, I maintained my position and managed to pass a few more riders, especially on the second lap. With a couple of miles to go, I noticed a rider looking back and fighting to keep up the pace. I was trying to reel him in, but couldn't quite close the gap. I was running out of dirt and made a push just before the downhill where the jump used to be. I passed him on the outside of the turn and held him off to the end. He thought I was in his group and vice versa. We weren't.

I felt like the second lap was faster. Seeing the results confirmed my suspicion. My second lap was 2 minutes better.

5th place.

#25 ·
pics?

I was 4th on the first lap, 3rd on the second as we came through the start/finish area. I wear a green and orange Summit Bicycles kit. I guess the opportunity to photograph people over their head in muddy water are the most appealling to a photographer. You don't see that too often.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.