rj2
    mtbr member

Cool MTB race course conditions

The race is Sunday at 9 AM. How much wetter is the course than previous dry years? How are the creek crossings?
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rj2 View Post
    The race is Sunday at 9 AM. How much wetter is the course than previous dry years? How are the creek crossings?
    If anyone is thinking of racing the Cool race next weekend, I did a slow inspection lap yesterday, and can report that the course is really in surprisingly good shape. In in my opinion, it is drier than it was last year...which is kind of odd.

The main creek crossings stack up as follows (all much better than last year):

1.Salt Creek - this is the first crossing you come to at the bottom of the fun rocky chuncky descent at the beginning. It's pretty much much a non-issue..you just slash right through it...but just BEFORE the creek crossing is a big trail-wide soft-spot that could cause an endo. If there was one section to inspect on race day after a week of dry weather it might be this spot.

2. Knickerbockker creek crossing - It's totally ridable. I was shocked. It's the lowest I've seen it in the past 2 years for sure. The last two years this required a dismount and you were running through knee to thigh deep water. On Friday, I could pedalied right through and it would have only been a little more than tire deep. (I ended up tip-toe-ing through it because there bazillions of newts swimming around in the there and I was taking pictures (I then smashed the climb out the other side and snagged the Strava KOM off of Joe McKeen...ha!)

3. The big bog that is near the end of the course, at the base of the last climb..or the 'yellow house climb'. The last two years this was a swamp. it was terrible. Now you just ride the wooden bridge, launch off the end, go through one not-too-big puddle, and it's dry. I couldn't believe it. just ride right through it.

4. - The water trap at the finish line -- This is also smaller than the past two years. The middle line looks ridable but there is a trench in the middle and the dirt is soft and will swallow tire. Go hard left or hard right and you'll find your way through. Inspect this section before the race to find your line for sure though, but you can easly get through staying dry.

So that's the major stuff......There IS a lot of water on course. So you will get splashed and wet, but it's oddly not that 'muddy'. So I'm considering racing my geared Trek Top Fuel race bike instead of my SS like I did last year.

The first half of the course is way drier and rockier (in a fun way) than the second half. After you cross Knickerbocker creek and do the climb out, the trails got more splashy, but with a week of warm temps, it should dry out even more.

I hope there is a decent turn out for this one. Such a long standing race, and a much harder, chunkier, more 'mountain bikey' course than the usual laps and laps laps of Granite Bay

rj2
    mtbr member
    Thanks! Now I need to decide if I'm riding the hardtail. Hope to see you there.

I was going to pass, as sport 40+ was initially a one lapper when I checked out Eventbrite last month. Here's the signup page:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/cool-mo...ts-31144865130

mtbr member
    It looks like only 8.7 miles.
    What is a decent time to finish this race?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 12to29 View Post
    If anyone is thinking of racing the Cool race next weekend, I did a slow inspection lap yesterday, and can report that the course is really in surprisingly good shape. In in my opinion, it is drier than it was last year...which is kind of odd.

The main creek crossings stack up as follows (all much better than last year):

1.Salt Creek - this is the first crossing you come to at the bottom of the fun rocky chuncky descent at the beginning. It's pretty much much a non-issue..you just slash right through it...but just BEFORE the creek crossing is a big trail-wide soft-spot that could cause an endo. If there was one section to inspect on race day after a week of dry weather it might be this spot.

2. Knickerbockker creek crossing - It's totally ridable. I was shocked. It's the lowest I've seen it in the past 2 years for sure. The last two years this required a dismount and you were running through knee to thigh deep water. On Friday, I could pedalied right through and it would have only been a little more than tire deep. (I ended up tip-toe-ing through it because there bazillions of newts swimming around in the there and I was taking pictures (I then smashed the climb out the other side and snagged the Strava KOM off of Joe McKeen...ha!)

3. The big bog that is near the end of the course, at the base of the last climb..or the 'yellow house climb'. The last two years this was a swamp. it was terrible. Now you just ride the wooden bridge, launch off the end, go through one not-too-big puddle, and it's dry. I couldn't believe it. just ride right through it.

4. - The water trap at the finish line -- This is also smaller than the past two years. The middle line looks ridable but there is a trench in the middle and the dirt is soft and will swallow tire. Go hard left or hard right and you'll find your way through. Inspect this section before the race to find your line for sure though, but you can easly get through staying dry.

So that's the major stuff......There IS a lot of water on course. So you will get splashed and wet, but it's oddly not that 'muddy'. So I'm considering racing my geared Trek Top Fuel race bike instead of my SS like I did last year.

The first half of the course is way drier and rockier (in a fun way) than the second half. After you cross Knickerbocker creek and do the climb out, the trails got more splashy, but with a week of warm temps, it should dry out even more.

I hope there is a decent turn out for this one. Such a long standing race, and a much harder, chunkier, more 'mountain bikey' course than the usual laps and laps laps of Granite Bay
    Whomever originally wrote that report really knows what he is talking about... lol
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Can anyone provide a map with elevation profile?

mtbr member
    If one were to camp around Cool on Saturday night, where would one camp?

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Word is there will be a re-route around Knickerbocker; not so much due to the depth of the water, but apparently the descent to the creek is pretty rutted and perhaps too fast and technical.

FYI, entry fees go up after friday night ($40 goes up to $50). Packet pick up can be done at Victory Velo Saturday afternoon.

rj2
    mtbr member

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by obviouslyme View Post
    If one were to camp around Cool on Saturday night, where would one camp?
    Unfortunately there's no legal camping anywhere near here. That's one of the things that needs to change in the SRA.

rj2
    mtbr member
    I raced 50+ sport in 2015 and won with a 1:28:37 for two laps

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    Unfortunately there's no legal camping anywhere near here. That's one of the things that needs to change in the SRA.
    I guess the closest place would be Peninsula Campground at the end of Rattlesnake Bar Road? Maybe a 10 mile drive to Cool? (not even sure if the campground is open or not though....they have some really nice spots there).
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    There are a few sites down at Rucky Chucky. https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1348

Not sure if its still "winter" though.

But considering the size of the SRA, there should be a 100 car camping spots open year round. Of course that might contribute to the local economy and make it that much harder to build the dam, so it'll never happen.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    There is camping in Coloma which is further as the crow flies but just as quick or quicker by car.
    Check Coloma Resort, https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...RoLmtHmo_iwPjg
    American River Resort https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...49760088,d.cGw
    and I'm sure there are others

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Does anyone know what time they usually run the kids race?

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater View Post
    Does anyone know what time they usually run the kids race?
    Kids go off at 9:00. Adults start at 9:30.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks, course was a blast today, a few water crossings but all were rideable. Too much fun!
    Last edited by Whitewater; 03-19-2017 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Wrong name

mtbr member
    Thanks, course was a blast today, a few water crossings but all were rideable. Too much fun!
    All except this one.

NedwannaB

Post race banter

Is it still too early or are the regular trail users in this area way 'Cool(er)' than Granite Bay where there was a firestorm of negativity after the recent venue down there....
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LaloKera View Post
    All except this one.

The left line was rideable, I swam in one of the crossings after the road crossing. Some good photos were had this day! As soon as I heard the kids yelling to take the right line I knew carnage was involved, when I used to race the Baja 1000 we knew to be extra careful whenever we saw a lot of spectators in an area.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Is it still too early or are the regular trail users in this area way 'Cool(er)' than Granite Bay where there was a firestorm of negativity after the recent venue down there....
    Completely different situation and venue. Cool is all fire roads that get hammered by horsie folks nearly all year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If anyone comes across pictures from the other water crossing after the road please post a link.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    If anyone comes across pictures from the other water crossing after the road please post a link.
    Seek out Spinning Image Photography on Facebook.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan View Post
    Completely different situation and venue. Cool is all fire roads that get hammered by horsie folks nearly all year.
    Exactly Sean. Trying to compare the current situation of MTB racing on the Olmstead Loop at Cool versus the current situation of MTB racing at GB is not an apples-to-apples comparison. Not even close.

Olmstead is traditionally all fireroad, which compared to GB, sees very little MTB use these days and is primarily beaten up by horsies. And Cool only sees 1 MTB race per year these days. Versus GB where there is an event (duathlon, MTB race) nearly every weekend in the winter and Spring.

I am still in disbelief at how dry the trails at Cool were yesterday. Despite the pics of muddy bikes and people at the race, I am not calling it a 'mud' race. If I can burn a hot fast lap using low tread, fast, summer XC race tires, and have no need for 'mud' tires. It is not a mud race IMO. Splashy race?

mtbr member
    The left line was rideable, I swam in one of the crossings after the road crossing. Some good photos were had this day! As soon as I heard the kids yelling to take the right line I knew carnage was involved, when I used to race the Baja 1000 we knew to be extra careful whenever we saw a lot of spectators in an area.
    Yeah, i was about to hit this spot and located the left line at the last second.
    All i heard from one of the kids as i passed was, "good choice"

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan View Post
    Sort of the reason for this post. I've done both venues in the past and inadvertaidly started the quiry for the TBF conditions and was surprised at the fallout...

rj2
    mtbr member
    Great turnout on the second year of the reboot. This year, there were two sport categories, giving me a chance. Rode the Air 9 RDO HT with a dropper and big tires. No problems on the descents. Bonus, got to beat up on the kids, 2nd place, sport 40+. Our podium was all 55+.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    This was my first race of any substance on a SS and what fun it was! Thanks Victory Velo for taking the baton and re-building this race. I'll be back with more teamies next year.
    Team Kinetic Cycles/Fat Bikes Rule!

rj2
    mtbr member
    I ran a Butcher 2.3 front with a FastTrack 2.2 rear on my HT. No issues at all. Bike was cleaner than most years. I don't think there's any chainlube that can last more than half a lap there.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by rj2 View Post
    I ran a Butcher 2.3 front with a FastTrack 2.2 rear on my HT. No issues at all. Bike was cleaner than most years. I don't think there's any chainlube that can last more than half a lap there.
    Butcher/FastTrack! Wow quite the spread in tires. All buiz in front party in back! Glad it worked!

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Butcher/FastTrack! Wow quite the spread in tires. All buiz in front party in back! Glad it worked!
    That's actually a creative combo for Cool. I can see how that would work for sure.

I just ran the stock Bontrager XR1's (Kinda like Maxxis Ikons) front and rear that came on my Top Fuel. I figured that even if/when they got gunked up with mud while splashing through the puddles & creeks, that I wouldn't need too much cornering grip as most of the high speed sections at Cool are just straightaways....I find I don't need a tire with massive cornering capabilities as there really aren't any twisty sections of trail there where you are cornering super hard or working the bike edge to edge.